Desperately Need rear brake advice...in the middle of working on them
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Desperately Need rear brake advice...in the middle of working on them in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hey guys...really need advice here. I really needed to do my rear brakes. I ordered rear pads and rotors. Tonight ...
    mattd_81 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Hey guys...really need advice here. I really needed to do my rear brakes. I ordered rear pads and rotors. Tonight I took off the rear wheels, started on the passenger side. Caliper bolts came off like nothing. 2 Rotor bracket bolts were tougher buy still came out OK. I went to pull off the rotors and nothing. Wouldn't budge. I realized there's a torx screw like on BMW's. So i undid it....still rotor won't budge. It wiggles around on there OK, and there's kind of a squeaking noise. Something is definitely holding it on. I'm guessing it has something to do with the parking brake...I guess there some sort of inside the rotor system on these things. Can someone please let me know how to get the rotor off...I would hate to throw in the towel and put it back together with the old rotors on there...they really need to be changed. The car is apart right now, I'm hoping to finish the job tomorrow morning but have no idea how to proceed. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

My plan for tomorrow morning is to take a sledge hammer to it....figuring it must have seized on there...would that be a bad idea??

Matt

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Tourist is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac STS 4

Re: Desperately Need rear brake advice...in the middle of working on them

Sledge hammers are almost always a bad idea. I would expect you are having problems with the parking brake. Either get the right information, or put it back together, get the information and try later. These are brakes, a safety system. Don't mess around until you have all the information to do it right!

1BadCadSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4
    Stick a nice screw driver in the fins at both the 3 and 6 o'clock positions and turn the rotor as you pull it off. The parking brake adjustment must be on tight.

Quote Originally Posted by 1BadCadSTS
    Stick a nice screw driver in the fins at both the 3 and 6 o'clock positions and turn the rotor as you pull it off. The parking brake adjustment must be on tight.
    Thanks! I'll give that a shot

----------

Nope didn't work...can't find the fins. Guess I gotta put back together and a pro to do this.

Greg00coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 05 STS

You do have the Emergency brake off right? If so pump the emergency brake up i.e. set it and release it say 5 times. You need to use the E brake every so often to keep it limber. Maybe if you exercise it a few times it will release. There is a cable behind the brakes, back side of the axle that you may look at to see if you can adjust the brakes back.

I'd then suggest a torch gently heating the area between the lugs, if you feel comfortable doing this. You're not out to make metal red just expand the center of the rotor to get it off.

You should be able to tap the edges of the rotor running the hammer all around the edges with increasing force..........but not too dramatic.

But I got to tell ya no offense...........if ya can't find the fins.........which are the fins on the outside of the rotor between the front and back sides............. you probably should ignore all of my suggestions and go to a shop. Brakes are nothing to fool around with if you are not comfortable that you did the job 100% correct.

1BadCadSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4
    It's the gap between the rotor surfaces. All STS have fin cooled rotors.

BLACKllac is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 07 STS

i'd like to see a pic of where you stand..

Cadjiek is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 XTS 2009 CTS AWD

I remember a few years back when I did the rear brakes my wife's 2000 camaro. It also had the emergency brake drum setup on the rotors. I had one that wouldn't come off too. I kept spraying WD40 around the lug bolts where they enter the rotor. Then I kept taping the center of the rotor with a hammer. Just light taps. It finally broke loose. The rotor had sort of fused on the back side. I also remeber having a slight problem when I put the new rotor on with respect to the emergency brake pads. I seem to think it had something to do with lining the rotor up just right so that the emergency brakes pads were properly seated. Hope this helps.

OK...I didn't know that vents in vented rotors were called fins. I guessed that there must be something behind the rotor that might make the parking brake retract. I did try to pump the parking brake with no luck. I should ad that I just got the car and since I work for a dealer I use a dealer plate so I don't have to have a safety inspection done. I started driving the car just over a week ago brakes felt bed...specially hard stopping from high speed. Felt dangerous, I knew it had be done. I thought it would be a cool project to do since it's been a while since I've done a brake job. Problem was the previous owner let the brakes go way way way passed worn. Front rotors were ok...pads were done to the point the wear indicators broke off. Rears....well inside pads were gone I picked off parts of them. Outside we're worn right out as well and the lining separated off the pad.

I did manage to get the job done today. I must admit against everyone's advice here I got pretty violent with the rotors to get them off. Used a screw driver to wedge behind them..used a hammer...a lot. Used another screwdriver...got a bigger hammer...made a lot of noise...said many colorful things...but the rotors came off. Man what a difference...now this thing drives like a Cadillac should. Again thanks for all that chipped in with advice. It was encouraging. Cheers!

cadillacmike68 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 68 DVC, 96 FLTWD Brg, 09 STS N* Platinum, 11 CTS Premium

Quote Originally Posted by Tourist View Post
    Sledge hammers are almost always a bad idea.
    Yeah, I'd definitely suggest a ball-peen hammer!

And why would you want to use a Nice screwdriver??? I'd use the 30 yr old one that's in the boat tool box!

Glad it worked out ok. You caught it just in time...

caddyfat2 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS4 1SG w/ HUD-ACC

Last week I ordered all four drilled and slotted zinc coated rotors for my car and today they arrived. They are really beautiful looking rotors. I will put them on when I return from Tallahassee Sunday and let you guys know what I think about them in a couple of weeks.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.