N* Losing coolant
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, N* Losing coolant in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I am getting a "coolant low" message about every 1-2 months. I see no evidence of leaks on the engine ...
    GREGB1954 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '06 STS N* 1SG Pkg, blk/blk

N* Losing coolant

I am getting a "coolant low" message about every 1-2 months. I see no evidence of leaks on the engine or under the car.

Any ideas?

2006 STS N*

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

02603sec is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): STS 1SF Black V8 2006

Re: N* Losing coolant

Hi, That's leaking to slow to notice anything on the ground. You may want to run your finger under the water pump seal/bearing . Bet there is coolant there.

B1n2fra is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 1SG Cadillac sts v8 awd

Mines is leaking also but I see big puddles under my car sometimes or I smell the sweet smell of coolant burning off. Never get a low coolant message or never run hot. It only leaks when I add into the resevoir. I don't understand. During the winter I have no heat unless I add coolant and It slowly leaks out. At times it leaks massively.

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

Members haven't reported any head gasket issues like the pre-2005 STS but water pump issues aren't uncommon. Earlier model years are getting to the age that AR owners consider replacing all hoses. I bet they are OK.

If you garage the car and notice that sickly sweet smell, I'd bet on a leaky pump. I had one that left a puddle at about the firewall.

bbshriver is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS V8

Mine got a new water pump at ~50kmi for this reason... I never noticed fluid on the ground, or smelled antifreeze, but every so often the light would come on and I'd check the reservoir and it would be low. CPO warranty ftw... Dealer claimed it was a $700 fix.

I'll take a closer look at the water pump. My Pontiac 3800 pump lasted for 205,000 miles. I would like to believe the GM had figured out how to build a long lasting pump.

chazglenn3 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 White Diamond STS N* 1SF RWD ACC/HUD

Just had my water pump replaced at 103K miles. They also had to replace the crossover gaskets. Still leaked when I got it back...turned out to be the thermostat housing o-ring. Nice to have a new pump too, however. This was fixed under my extended warranty.

Thx for the tips. I'll look at the thermostat housing as well.

Midnight is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS 1SG

I got a new water pump and thermo housing gasket @ about 65k or something. Fixed my issue. Dealer did a pressure check - you could see the evidence for the thermostat housing leak, but the WP was a surprise. The level in the reservoir hasn't moved since then thankfully Mine smelled pretty strongly of anti-freeze at the time I had it repaired, but the leak was like adding a pint a week or something (driving ~350 mi/week).

B1n2fra is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 1SG Cadillac sts v8 awd

Found the culprit. Same as others. The dang water pump. No other leaks were detected when I performed a pressure check.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.