Big Mistake - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Big Mistake in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally Posted by Ralph I thought you said earlier this year that you cannot get the replacement passive struts for ...
    Playdrv4me is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2008 Mini Cooper Clubman S

Re: Big Mistake

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph
    I thought you said earlier this year that you cannot get the replacement passive struts for Connie once they fail, but Cadillac you can?
    Ohh no no... the ENTIRE system was replaced at the Extended Warranty companies cost.

majax is offline 32V Northstar

Quote Originally Posted by Playdrv4me
    And the used ones are a BARGAIN! I found a couple of 04 Ultimate's for about 27k on AutoTrader. Not bad for a car with a 50k sticker. I know the literature CLAIMS the 04 has Navigation and THX by the way, but I could not find anything to support this in a search of used ones in the entire country.
    My moms boss has one, I wouldn't buy one if I had the money(No offens to anyone) I am more of a Sport Touring or Deville guy. Yeah good bargain.

I'd definatley want the Ultimate if I did the low end version has a cop car interior.

Ralph is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Quote Originally Posted by Playdrv4me
    Ohh no no... the ENTIRE system was replaced at the Extended Warranty companies cost.
    But can you get "passive struts" for a Connie without having to pay through the nose at the Lincoln dealership?

That's what I thought you mentioned once.

Crozier is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by viking
    BOY DID I MAKE A DUMB DECISION !!!!!!
    I TRADED IS A GREAT 2003 DEVILLE ON A STS !!!!!!!!
    GOT IT ON THURSDAY , GOT IT OUT OF THE GARAGE YESTERDAY GETTING RATTLES AND MISALLIGNED PANELS FIXED . THE VOICE COMMAND SYSTEM IS GARBAGE . FORGET IT . EXPECT TO GET A SORE SPOT ON YOUR RIGHT KNEE WHERE IT HITS THE CENTER CONSOLE . THERE IS NO ROOM TO STORE ANYTHING . THE NAV. SYSTEM IS SO COMPLEX THAT I DONT THINK IT WILL EVER BE USABLE ( MAYBE I AM JUST STUPID ! ) AND THE MANUAL FOR IT IS POORLY WRITTEN .
    I GUESS I FELL PREY TO ALL THE HYPE ABOUT THE CAR , AND THATS MY FAULT , BUT AS FAR AS I AM CONCERNED , THIS IS THE WORST DECISION I HAVE EVER MADE .
    The new STS is one of the finest vehicles on the road today. It competes with and beats many of Japan and Germany's finest cars.
    I believe that you're from the group of people who Cadillac's new lineup of cars were not intended.
    Your 2003 Deville was the last of a dying breed of huge, comfortable, pillow ride vehicles. They were built for old people. The ride was for old people, the radio and controls were for old people, the styling was for old people.
    These new cars are drawing a much younger crowd who will use the car in ways the Devilles were never meant to be used.
    Most people today have been rasied on computers and so the Navigation and Voice command systems come very naturally. I had it down after about 2 or three hours of using it. (my brother's)
    The STS has more room in it than any of its direct competetors. (5 series or E class) You traded down in size from one of the largest cars on the road to a mid sized luxury sedan.
    I love the Devilles. I love big american soft rides. I have a fleetwood and also a Park Avenue. I also love these beautifully designed, highly athletic new Caddys. I had a CTS and am looking forward to picking up an STS-V when they become available.
    The old caddys and the new caddys are two completely different beasts meant for different people. It isn't the STS's "fault" that you don't like it. It is your "fault" for not researching and test driving adaquately before purchasing.
    No flames intended. All just my opinion of course! Good luck with your car. They'll get the little issues ironed out. It took about 3 months to get my brother in law's brand new 7 series to even run right.

Blue Chip is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Unhappy Re: Big Mistake

My STS has no rattles or misaligned panels. The voice commands work fine if you know how to use them. My right knee rests on a nicely padded area. I count at least nine storage places. The manual (compared to most manuals lately) is well written. In short, I have no problems and, even though I thoroughly researched the STS and competitors before purchase, I am delighted by the nice surprises I have encountered. I was eager to discuss the car on this forum, but I think it's useless. In months of checking it every day, I've seen only a few useful posts. Most of the posts have nothing to do with the STS or are pure BS. This forum is in need of being severely moderated.

Sandy is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '93 Cadillac 60 Special; '03 Lincoln TownCar Limited ED

Crozier, I tend to agree with the basic gist that you are conveying above. However, your distain for old people is also evident. I am 57. If you think that is "old" you've got a bigger problem than Viking has with his STS. 57 is not old! I play deck tennis, walk, and still "fool around" with the wife. I have a full head of dark brown hair, and not a single facial wrinkle. I hope you are as good at 57 !!!

That said, TRUE, I am NOT a fan of computers, much less Navagational systems. I drive very little, about 5,000 miles a year and I don't go places that I don't know how to get to. Rarely do I travel further than 30 miles from home.

So....does THAT all mean that I can't enjoy a full sized luxury car with a traditional luxury smooth ride? I have to be bumped around over the patchwork lousey roads full of pot holes and poorly executed utility workers construction repairs, so that I can keep up with the fool in the BMW taking the interstate exit "U" turn at 70 MPH without any body lean? Sure, he can whip my @$$ but good on an autocross, but I know I don't (and I don't think he goes) autocrossing!! Cadillacs & Lincolns were meant to be LUXURY cars, they were never concieved to be Sport Touring intermediate sedans. They didn't earn their reputations from decades of producing Sport Touring Sedans. Cadillac tried 2 times, and failed. (Cinnamom & Catera).

I am sure the STS is a good car. No argument there. But I'm also sure that my Town Car is smoother & quieter. When I go autocrossing I'll rent a STS.
    BTW, M-B & BMW fail to impress me. 'Ya know "Friendly Fries" ~ well the Germans turned us down, just as much as did the French. My $$$ is staying here in the good old US of A !

ellives is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '76 Eldo convertible, 97' STS Z-rated, '02 STS

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy
    Crozier, I tend to agree with the basic gist that you are conveying above. However, your distain for old people is also evident. I am 57. If you think that is "old" you've got a bigger problem than Viking has with his STS. 57 is not old! I play deck tennis, walk, and still "fool around" with the wife. I have a full head of dark brown hair, and not a single facial wrinkle. I hope you are as good at 57 !!!

That said, TRUE, I am NOT a fan of computers, much less Navagational systems. I drive very little, about 5,000 miles a year and I don't go places that I don't know how to get to. Rarely do I travel further than 30 miles from home.

So....does THAT all mean that I can't enjoy a full sized luxury car with a traditional luxury smooth ride? I have to be bumped around over the patchwork lousey roads full of pot holes and poorly executed utility workers construction repairs, so that I can keep up with the fool in the BMW taking the interstate exit "U" turn at 70 MPH without any body lean? Sure, he can whip my @$$ but good on an autocross, but I know I don't (and I don't think he goes) autocrossing!! Cadillacs & Lincolns were meant to be LUXURY cars, they were never concieved to be Sport Touring intermediate sedans. They didn't earn their reputations from decades of producing Sport Touring Sedans. Cadillac tried 2 times, and failed. (Cinnamom & Catera).

I am sure the STS is a good car. No argument there. But I'm also sure that my Town Car is smoother & quieter. When I go autocrossing I'll rent a STS.
    BTW, M-B & BMW fail to impress me. 'Ya know "Friendly Fries" ~ well the Germans turned us down, just as much as did the French. My $$$ is staying here in the good old US of A !
    I stand by my original statement. The STS and the Town car are in different categories. Plain and simple. Comparing them is a waste of energy. When you say these cars were MEANT to be luxury cars, the discussion should center around what a luxury car IS. It certainly USED to be big and floaty Today it means different things to different people. No car is going to please everyone.

While C & L have been able to get by selling to the over 50 crowd (I didn't say old) they have realized their traditional market is dying off and the new breed of luxury car buyers want performance.

I've probably told this story here before but recently I had to meet the top management of my company at a building we were considering leasing. We're all around the same age. When my boss pulled up his first question was "who's driving the Cadillac?" When they found out it was me a couple of them both told me their wives wouldn't let them buy a Cadillac. They are for old people. Well guess what? Old people eventually die off and the younger ones (who think Cadillacs are for OTHER old people) will STILL think Cadillacs are for old people when they get old (even though like Sandy they won't think THEY are old.) This doesn't bode well for C & L as time goes on and they MUST pursued moving the demographics of their customers down the age brackets.

Notice Cadillac has not announced any plans (that I know of) for the De Ville. It will continue to be the big frontwheel drive car it is for the foreseeable future. If you want to compare the Town Car to something, it ought to be to the De Ville, the 700 series, the S-class or the like. The STS it is not. In fact I've been considering a DTS myself simply for the size. Having two Sevilles means I have two cars that won't carry enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Crozier
    Your 2003 Deville was the last of a dying breed of huge, comfortable, pillow ride vehicles. They were built for old people. The ride was for old people, the radio and controls were for old people, the styling was for old people.
    Huge, comfortable, pillow ride vehicles are certainly NOT in a dying breed. As long as there is a market for them, they will continue to produce them. What would you call the Escalade? If I recall, the 2008 Deville replacement is much larger, etc. The STS is no Sprint either.

I find the styling of the Deville, especially the DTS very sporty. The fastback like rear window and the aggressive stance, etc. Cpmpare the DTS to my Fleetwood and you have a VERY sporty, modern-styled vehicle IMO.

Sandy, 57 is still quite young especially in today's medical world with the technology. 70 is getting "old."

Crozier is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy

I have not distain for 'old' people. I also like their taste when it comes to cars. Like I said, I have a caddy fleetwood (as big as they come) and a new Buick Park Avenue. Big quiet, and soft.

If cadillac didn't make a big change, they were going to go the way of the oldsmobile. The CTS has proven to be a HUGE hit and hopefully the STS will do well in its own maket.

Just as Ellives said, the STS and the Town Car are not comparable vehicles. I suppose they used to compete in some respects, but the STS has moved on to new territory.

I honestly feel kinda bad that traditional cadillac buyers go out and buy an STS and feel like they were mislead or cheated or something. Two generations mixing together that don't understand one another.

ellives is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '76 Eldo convertible, 97' STS Z-rated, '02 STS

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph
    Huge, comfortable, pillow ride vehicles are certainly NOT in a dying breed. As long as there is a market for them, they will continue to produce them. What would you call the Escalade? If I recall, the 2008 Deville replacement is much larger, etc. The STS is no Sprint either.

I find the styling of the Deville, especially the DTS very sporty. The fastback like rear window and the aggressive stance, etc. Cpmpare the DTS to my Fleetwood and you have a VERY sporty, modern-styled vehicle IMO.

Sandy, 57 is still quite young especially in today's medical world with the technology. 70 is getting "old."
    Ha -- Sandy sounds like he's kept in good shape. Good for him. Funny you mention the 'slade. I've always found it funny people complain about the C & L's being too big... and these same people run out and buy these monstrosity SUV's that get crap gas mileage, handle worse than any Cadillac ever made and take up a city block to park. The only advantage they have is AWD and now FINALLY Cadillac has thrown the gauntlet down. At least they finally addressed the market with the 'slade and an even better job with the SRX.

GM has the product finally. They need to do something about their financial structure. They can't keep having 1 employee for every 2.5 former employees on the pension dole and continue to be financially viable. Those days are over and they better clean house before Toyota cleans their clocks.

Quote Originally Posted by ellives
    When they found out it was me a couple of them both told me their wives wouldn't let them buy a Cadillac. They are for old people.
    If most of us had to do what our women say, we'd be dressed in pink, with a flowered apron for cooking and vaccuming everyday.

That shows what THOSE women know about the "new" Cadillacs.

Their loss, our gain.

Funny you mention the 'slade. I've always found it funny people complain about the C & L's being too big... and these same people run out and buy these monstrosity SUV's that get crap gas mileage, handle worse than any Cadillac ever made and take up a city block to park.
    Good point. Especially when rear visability is nil on those vehicles, It usually scares me to see so many soccor mom's behind the wheel of those things.

Sandy is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '93 Cadillac 60 Special; '03 Lincoln TownCar Limited ED

I guess it's Old Mental Images that Die Hard! When I was YOUNGer at age 31 I too wanted a fast car that could corner and excel at braking & go-power. I bought a Corvette, 1976. (Okay, one of the slowest 'Vettes of all time - but still a Corvette.) It was Ferrari-Fast coming out of a 1972 Imperial LeBaron 4-Door Hardtop ! I felt the same way. The "Fast" part and the "Cornering" parts were all I hoped for, but - OH MY GAWD, that horrible ride! Coming from the Imperial to the Corvette felt like the Corvette had square tires mounted on triangular wheels !! I soon began driving like I was drunk, avoiding every road imperfection. I live in NJ and at the time was dating a girl from New York State, so every weekend up NY I'd go weaving in & out in the Vette. When I arrived, 1st place I had to go was to pee !!!
    I used to call it bladder-shake.
    After that, at age 33 (1978) I went back into a new 1978 Imperail and was very happy. So, I've been in big "floaty" {compliment} luxury cars ever since, so I got elderly at age 34. Like ya said...Different tastes. I think the next generation deVille (or DTS or DHS) will be the last of the big soft Caddies. If they run it for 4 years, we prehistoric parasites should all be gone from the earth.

Playdrv4me is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2008 Mini Cooper Clubman S

If you want to compare the Town Car to something, it ought to be to the De Ville, the 700 series, the S-class or the like. The STS it is not. In fact I've been considering a DTS myself simply for the size. Having two Sevilles means I have two cars that won't carry enough.
    While I agree with your Town Car and DTS comparison, I would say the S Class and especially the 7 Series are probably closer in true driving dynamic to the STS than the DTS. Particularly the performance versions, like the S55 and the 760. Given that, the STS is one of those vehicles that competes in BOTH the E and S Class, and 5 and 7 Series categories, so it really quite a chameleon when it comes to discerning its true market segment.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.