Big Mistake - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Big Mistake in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I fit perfectly in the new STS. I'm 5'11'' and 175 pounds. I also can't imagine a nicer ride than ...
    Ralph is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Re: Big Mistake

I fit perfectly in the new STS. I'm 5'11'' and 175 pounds.

I also can't imagine a nicer ride than my Dad's '03 DTS. Smooth, quiet and very good handling, road noise isolation, etc. However, I'm sure that with the TC's better balancing due to RWD it rides as nice or nicer as Sandy says.

Playdrv4me is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V

Quote Originally Posted by CaddyFan2004
    If a Town Car is your benchmark for ride, you don't want an STS. Try a Deville - or a Buick.
    The 2003 Town Car has got to be one of the all time best riding luxury sedans on the planet. I spent a week splitting one between me and a friend who rented it in California. I loved the fat steering wheel with the upscale wood, the reverse backup which is logically placed and works well, comfy seats, imposing size and satin smooth ride and power delivery. I WILL own a 2003 or 2004 TC at some point in the next few years. This coming from someone who typically likes german ride cars, but the TC is the exception right now for me. Now that you can get them with Navigation, THX Sound, heated and cooled seats and Xenon lights, its a serious contender.

My only gripe is the "its still your Dad's Lincoln" appearance. The Deville wins in the looks department for sure, because a deep black DTS with custom wheels and tint, and the right exterior touches, can look mean and cool. A TC always looks like a typical bland luxo cruiser.

Sandy is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '93 Cadillac 60 Special; '03 Lincoln TownCar Limited ED

You named alot of the things that I like, especially the steering wheel and one set of fabulous brakes!!!

Because of the very similiar style of the 2003 compared to the 1998 thru 2002, people do not realize the the entire chassis was redesigned for '03. It's absolutely acres apart from any prior Town Car, in ride AND handling and cornering. The only thing it now needs is MORE power! The H.P. is 239 and the weight is 4,200 LBS. They need to drop the Mustang Cobra V-8 into it. 300 H.P. awaits. They now need to address the exterior. Take a Jaguar XJ, give it a Lincolnesque grille and an Audi A8 roofline with deVille taillamps and blend it all together....

don_mccarter is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS V8

Before the STS I had a 2002 Lincoln Continental with the
    32 valve "Intech" V8. It had plenty of power.
    I test drove the 2005 Town Car, it is grossly under powered.
    You would think that at the least Lincoln would use
    the Continental engine in the TC.
    I probably would have bought another Continental
    if they still made them.

Katshot is offline Cadillac Owners Master

STS owners can EASILY be talking apples and oranges due to the fact that there are SO MANY option levels available for the car. The STS can be anywhere from a $40K car to an over $60K car depending on options.

CaddyFan2004 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy
    The only Buick I like is the Park Avenue, but I don't like the style of it.
    I drove a deVille in 2003 for about an hour, then the Town Car, then back to the de Ville. The rest is history. I would have bought a 2004 Seville, they rode like my T.C.
    Did they still have the DHS and DTS versions of the Deville in 2003? Sounds like you might have liked a DHS, or a Seville SLS.

The Seville SLS was my 2nd choice. They just didn't have any color I liked enough to live with for four years.... and my dealer went out of business & the next closest was far away. The Lincoln dealer is very close.

ellives is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '76 Eldo convertible, 97' STS Z-rated, '02 STS

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy
    The only Buick I like is the Park Avenue, but I don't like the style of it.
    I drove a deVille in 2003 for about an hour, then the Town Car, then back to the de Ville. The rest is history. I would have bought a 2004 Seville, they rode like my T.C.
    Complete rubbish. There's no way a 2004 Seville rides like a town car. They address two different requirements (and customers.) The De Ville is the closest match.

My 2 cents.

majax is offline 32V Northstar

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph
    I fit perfectly in the new STS. I'm 5'11'' and 175 pounds.

I also can't imagine a nicer ride than my Dad's '03 DTS. Smooth, quiet and very good handling, road noise isolation, etc. However, I'm sure that with the TC's better balancing due to RWD it rides as nice or nicer as Sandy says.
    wow you are only 20lbs more than me, were small IMO.

My dads STS rides fantastic and I don't think a suspension has to be soft to be comfortable. Actualy my favorite ride ever is our STS cause at all times the car stays parallel to the road, you don't sink into the pot holes and its not so soft that if you went off a curb the wheel wouldnt go through the well.

Quote Originally Posted by ellives
    Complete rubbish. There's no way a 2004 Seville rides like a town car. They address two different requirements (and customers.) The De Ville is the closest match.

My 2 cents.
    This was a 2003 Seville SLS and a 2003 Town Car. They were equally quiet and had no wind nose at speed, they both had strong brakes, and were very quiet & both very smooth. The Town Car had much nicer door panels and no visable plastic "frames" around swirch gear. The Seville was faster and was shorter. The Seville could be tossed into a curve and held on tighter, but the Town Car wasn't far behind. The Seville forced me to chose between a CD and a glove box. I wanted both. The Town Car has the CD in the trunk so I get both that & the Glove box. The overall feeling in the Seville's interior was sterle while the Town Car was one of warmth. I also loved the power closing trunk from the key fob and the fact that the dealer is 4.5 miles from my house, whereeas the Caddy dealer is 26 miles away. They were both my #1 & #2 choices, far ahead of the rest.

What the h@!!, it's not sterel except the SLS does not have full wood on the door trim.

what do you mean plastic frames?

Also do you want a $300 cd changer in the trunk where it gets hit by your golf bags or whatever, where it just takes up that little bit of room you need to get the christmas tree in just right. Also there is still room in the glovebox for a few things pluss you have huge door pockets, a flip fold in the center consol, glovebox with sunglass holder, umbrella holders under the front seats, and card holders in the sunshades.

I will be back in a bit to post more I dont intend to be mean sandy.

By the way, trunk is a little stange due to the RWD in the town car and is not as largre as the Seville

I think part of the reason the 03+ Town Car is such a perfect vehicle, is the fact that for once the manufacturer really seemed to listen to what customer wanted, surveyed what the other big guys were doing, observed slumping sales of their previous model, and went balls out to increase sales and maintain customer loyalty (Town Car return ownership stands at 60%, one of the, if not the highest in the industry). The result of that was a car that had things people wouldnt except in a Lincoln. Xenon lights, smooth non-plasticky door panels and switchgear, top quality hides etc etc. Then in 04/05 they made it even better by throwing in the stuff thats been missing from it, like the Nav and audio system, something that would have made me go to the Lincoln LS V8 Premium in the past.

By the way, the Continental never regained the glory it had back in the day. The 1988-94 model was a disaster on the order of the H-Bomb (yet somehow I just KNOW someone is going to post "hey! I liked that car!"), with constantly failing air ride suspensions, cracking heads in the UNDERPOWERED V6, chintzy interior and I could go on. The 95+ was just OK. I had a 1996 which my brother now owns, and the paint has gone to crap, there is rattles galore, the air ride failed once and was entirely replaced, and the transmission (apparently a Ford Taurus retrofit) never handled the 32 Valve 4.6L engine's output very well. The car was also not really based on any other car in Ford's lineup, and so parts were always expensive for the driveline. In its defense, the rest of the car has held up well, even at 130,000 miles. When they tried to redesign this in 1998 however, it was clear the Connie wasnt going anywhere... R.I.P Continental. Lets see if Lincoln can give us a re-introduction on the order of the new TC or 2003+ LS.

Yeah I do like the Town Car.

If you want an easy goin car that serves purpose, it's very practicle IMO

Quote Originally Posted by majax
    Yeah I do like the Town Car.

If you want an easy goin car that serves purpose, it's very practicle IMO
    And the used ones are a BARGAIN! I found a couple of 04 Ultimate's for about 27k on AutoTrader. Not bad for a car with a 50k sticker. I know the literature CLAIMS the 04 has Navigation and THX by the way, but I could not find anything to support this in a search of used ones in the entire country.

Ralph is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Quote Originally Posted by Playdrv4me
    By the way, the Continental never regained the glory it had back in the day. The 1988-94 model was a disaster on the order of the H-Bomb (yet somehow I just KNOW someone is going to post "hey! I liked that car!"), with constantly failing air ride suspensions, cracking heads in the UNDERPOWERED V6, chintzy interior and I could go on. The 95+ was just OK. I had a 1996 which my brother now owns, and the paint has gone to crap, there is rattles galore, the air ride failed once and was entirely replaced, and the transmission (apparently a Ford Taurus retrofit) never handled the 32 Valve 4.6L engine's output very well. The car was also not really based on any other car in Ford's lineup, and so parts were always expensive for the driveline. In its defense, the rest of the car has held up well, even at 130,000 miles. When they tried to redesign this in 1998 however, it was clear the Connie wasnt going anywhere... R.I.P Continental. Lets see if Lincoln can give us a re-introduction on the order of the new TC or 2003+ LS.
    I thought you said earlier this year that you cannot get the replacement passive struts for Connie once they fail, but Cadillac you can?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.