Can a Fram Air Filter cause P0171/P0174 codes
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 2 Post By dkozloski
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Can a Fram Air Filter cause P0171/P0174 codes in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I have been having problems with the check engine light coming on, and it giving me the P1071 / P0174 ...
    Zman1001 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Can a Fram Air Filter cause P0171/P0174 codes

I have been having problems with the check engine light coming on, and it giving me the P1071 / P0174 codes that the car is running lean.

I know that one of the things is that an oiled air filter can cause an oil buildup on the Mass Air Flow sensor.

Is the Fram air filter oiled? Could the Fram air filter be causing this problem?

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

dkozloski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

Re: Can a Fram Air Filter cause P0171/P0174 codes

Check to make sure you reconnected the PCV line when you installed the filter.
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!

chazglenn3 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 White Diamond STS N* 1SF RWD ACC/HUD

Fram air filters are not oiled.

Thanks for the responses. I did not think that the FRAM was oiled, but since that is one of the possible symptoms is an oiled air filter causing buildup on the MAF sensor. Dealing with a 2008 STS

I am officially above my head now. I never knew that changing an air filter would be so difficult. When I changed the air filter, I unscrewed the bolts, took out the old air filter (which looked identical to the new one, but not sure what brand), put in new one, then put screws back in. I did not see any other connections, and not sure exactly what PCV line is:

A little more background.

I have had the check engine light come on a few times, but would go out again. Just when I was going to take it to the dealer, we had an ignition coil go bad. Got replaced. The three days later the light came back on. Had the vacuum hose replaced. light came back on next day after getting back.

It is now with them again and they have recently replaced the MAF sensor, but their tests are still coming up that it is running lean.

One of the things on the checklist is that some aftermarket air filters could cause this problem. Not sure the air filter is the problem as some time had passed, but wanted to see if anyone else had run into this problem

That is why I was asking the question.

Thanks again.

dkozloski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

The big rubber/plastic hose between the air filter and the throttle body has a connection about midway that goes to the PCV connection on the left valve cover. It's easy to overlook but a blind man could reconnect it. If left loose it will cause several different codes.
    Jesda and Jesda like this.
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!

ddalder is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS-4 N* 1SG

If you purchased a Fram ToughGard filter, it is oiled. Most people don't buy these ones. Depsite this, I agree with koz. This sure sounds like there is unmetered air getting in the system. Check all the connections from the air box back, including any vacuum lines.

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

N*? Could this be another set of loose intake manifold bolts?

Thanks everyone. It was just the Fram Extra Guard filter.

I will let everyone know what it is. My car has been at the dealer for over one week now trying to figure this latest one out. The reason I posted this question is because they called me asking about the filter. Again, their check list that they are going down says that after market air filters could cause the "lean" codes, and they called me.

I will let you know what finally comes back, since they already replaced the MAF sensor and it is still showing it running lean.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.