Low Beam headlights out
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Low Beam headlights out in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; today my headlights decided to quit working, just the low beams. The brights and fog lights work just fine. I ...
    05_STS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS

Low Beam headlights out

today my headlights decided to quit working, just the low beams. The brights and fog lights work just fine.

I replaced all of the bulbs less than 6 months ago so I don't suspect bulbs, especially since they both stopped working at the same time (today). I have checked both headlight fuses and both are good, I can hear the headlamp relay click when I move from parking light to headlights with the switch so I assume the relay may be okay.

I'm clueless what to check next, it's not like the bulbs are easy to check too...

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

Re: Low Beam headlights out

Ground wire.

Is there a fuse? Fusable links are gone, aren't they?

There are two fuses for the low beam headlamps, one for each side.

Also, from what I've read and seeing in the diagrams, each headlamp is grounded separately and the ground is shared with the fog lights, which are working.

Looks like I'll be pulling the front end apart to check the bulbs, this sucks...

chazglenn3 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 White Diamond STS N* 1SF RWD ACC/HUD

Make sure you use gloves or something when/if you replace the bulbs this time. If you touched them with your bare hands, you left oil on the bulb that then causes a hot spot and the bulbs overheat and burn out prematurely.

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

^^^^ Ever since the end of sealed beams!

So I'm getting pretty good at pulling off the front bumper, both bulbs were burned out. What a coincidence, both were brand new less than 6 months ago and were nice Sylvania SilverStars and they burned out at the same exact time.

So I went with Sylvania SilverStar Ultra bulbs this time, $23 a pop...

I never touch bulbs with my bare hands, any idea what could have caused them both to burn out at once without blowing a fuse first?

UNKUT is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 DTS / 2005 STS

Quote Originally Posted by 05_STS View Post
    So I'm getting pretty good at pulling off the front bumper, both bulbs were burned out. What a coincidence, both were brand new less than 6 months ago and were nice Sylvania SilverStars and they burned out at the same exact time.

So I went with Sylvania SilverStar Ultra bulbs this time, $23 a pop...

I never touch bulbs with my bare hands, any idea what could have caused them both to burn out at once without blowing a fuse first?
    That sounds like WAY more then a coincidence to me! And its good to hear your good at removing the bumper lol! You should start posting tutorials with as much knowledge as your compiling!

chazglenn3 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 White Diamond STS N* 1SF RWD ACC/HUD

The SilverStar and SilverStar Ultra bulbs produce more light because they are over driven and that reduces their useful life span. That being said it seems like 6 months is still too short. I was replacing those in my wife's Pacifica once a year so I switched to GE NightHawk bulbs...they are longer lasting as they are not as aggressively over driven. Do you leave your Rainsense wipers on? That would keep the headlights on all the time...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.