05 STS key fob issue
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, 05 STS key fob issue in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Sorry if this is in the wrong place on the forum. I just bought a 05 sts. It came with ...
    mattd_81 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

05 STS key fob issue

Sorry if this is in the wrong place on the forum. I just bought a 05 sts. It came with only one smart key fob and a key. Problem is the fob doesn't work. I mean once I'm in the car it starts and recognizes the fob, but I can't lock or unlock the car, open trunk or remote start it. Its almost like the remote isn't working at all. Once the car is open I starts and everything works perfect although still none of the buttons on the remote work. Already replaced the battery and tried the reprogram procedure where you put the remote in the console pocket and turn the key in the door 5 times but nothing happens. I tried every possible thing I found and had no results. Is the fob broken??? Any info is really appreciated. Thanks in advance!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

KRSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Crystal Red 2008 3.6 DI RWD

Re: 05 STS key fob issue

If you replaced the battery in the fob properly and it still doesn't work, you likely have a defective fob.

Ok. I guess I'll try and order one off eBay and see if I can program it. Why cant I get into the programming mode though. The car recognizes the fob. I mean I can start it no problem with the fob in my pocket. I tried putting it in the pocket inside the console with the buttons facing forward then inserting the key in the lock cylinder and cycling 5 times. There is no response. So I figure even if I get a new fob i still won't be able to program it. Funny thing is I searched everywhere online and can't find anyone with the same problem. Weird. I guess I have to go to the stealer and pay up.

Subsailor613 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS RWD NAV F55 N*1SF

Thumbs up Re: 05 STS key fob issue

Go into your programming to activate the FOB on some of the stuff
    you are talking about. See if that changes your situation.

Also, check your "Valet" switch to see if it is ON, this would prevent some of these
    items from working.
    Good Luck !

Checked the valet switch...not it...not sure what you mean about going into programming...that's what I've been trying to do. It doesn't work. From what I know you're suppose to put the fob into the little pocket in the console and them cycle the key in the door cylinder. Doesn't work for me...unless I'm missing something. Can't really cycle the lock cylinder. It only goes one way-unlock which opens the door. I ordered a new fob today from eBay. When it show I guess I'll take it to a dealer and see what they say. I give up. Seems I'm the only one with this problem. Once I figure it out I'll be sure to post on here what the problem was for future reference. In the mean time if anyone has any ideas please throw them out there. Thanks for your reply guys.

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

Check the info in the 'Sticky' thread at the top of the forum. You don't need a Fob to begin the programming sequence. In fact, although a total of 4 Fobs can be matched with your car, only Fobs matched as #1 & #2 will be full-function, i.e. able to remote-start the car and invoke customized driver preferences.

Make sure you get one of the right Fobs for your car. Make sure they are all away from the car to start from scratch. See the thread. Not to worry. You won't 'brick' your STS unless it's a Canadian model. (Their laws stike me as draconian!)

Maybe I misunderstand but I read everything I can't find any way of starting the programming procedure without the fob being in the car first. Either way I tried everything and it just doesn't work. As I said fob in the console pocket, key in the door turn it five times and nothing happens. One method listed requires a scanner tool. I'm sure that's likely my best bet, but will need to go
    To the dealer.

What can I be missing. Car is off...fob goes in the pocket ( also tried in different positions as well as in the console itself) then go outside and insert key in the door and turn clockwise 5 times. Counterclockwise doesn't work, I'm assuming that's normal...either way nothing happens. Am I missing something??? Very frustrating... I mean fob is definitely recognized as I can start the car...

Here's what I edited together a while back. There's a link under 'Where to buy a new Fob' where I detailed three different situations. I think a modeator ought to get rid of that old Fob procedure becuse it confuses many people (IMHO). Anyway, I hope this clears the OP's confusion and saves a trip to the dealer.

Make sure to start with a good, well charged battery because 30 minutes is a long time!

Important: Do not place any known good FOB's within 10 feet of the vehicle until instructed. If the vehicle recognizes a known FOB during programming, the programming mode will revert to the 'Add a Fob' function.

1. The vehicle must be OFF. If locked, open a door and leave it open while removing all known fobs from the area.
    2. Insert the vehicle key in the driver door lock cylinder located in the driver door handle and cycle the key 5 times within 5 seconds. (I left the door open throughout.)
    3. The DIC will display a message: OFF/ACC TO LEARN.
    4. Press the OFF/ACC portion (bottom) of the ignition button.
    5. The DIC will display a message: WAIT 10 MINUTES, and then begin to count down from 10 to 0, one minute at a time.
    6. When the counter reaches 0, DIC will display OFF/ACC TO LEARN.
    7. Repeat steps 4-6 two more times, for a total of 30 minutes.
    8. At the end of the 30 minute cycle, the DIC will display OFF/ACC TO LEARN.
    9. Press the OFF/ACC portion (bottom) of the ignition button.
    10. A beep will occur and the DIC will display: NO FOBS RECOGNIZED. At this time all previously known FOB's have been erased. Then the DIC displays: READY FOR FOB 1.
    11. Go get the FOB you want to be #1 and insert it in the FOB pocket. (According to a posting elsewhere on the STS Enthusiast Forum, new style square FOB's may need the key inserted in the FOB in order to be programmed.)
    12. When FOB 1 is programmed, a beep will be heard and the DIC will display a message: READY FOR FOB 2.
    13. Remove FOB 1 and set it aside. It does not need to be removed from the car.
    14. Additional FOB's can be programmed by getting them and placing them in the pocket as prompted. If desired, up to 4 fobs can be programmed. Once 4 fobs have been learned, the DIC will display a message: MAX FOBS LEARNED, and automatically exit the program mode.
    15. If learning less than 4 FOB's, press the OFF/ACC portion of the ignition button to exit the program mode.
    16. Press the 'Unlock' button on each FOB in sequence to finalize the FOB matching sequence.

Important! Failure to exit programming mode (press OFF/ACC) prior to pressing the Unlock button of each FOB programmed will result in that FOB being inoperative. Pressing the UNLOCK button completes the programming sequence and is required to ensure transmitter operation.

Thanks Echas3...really appreciate the help. I think there might be something wrong with one of the components. I can't get pass the 2nd step no matter what I do. Cycling the key 5 times. I do it but nothing happens. No message on the DIC. so either the key is no good or the door handle is not operating correctly. Noticed that my key doesn't say PK3 on it. Does the key need to be chipped? It is the only key I had with the car. Could there be something wrong with the handle? I can hear the power locks working. Not every time I turn the key. When you 'cycle' am I suppose to hear the power locks 5 times?

I ordered the new fob and once it comes in I'll take it to a dealer and hope they can program it to the car along with the original one. Hopefully they can do it with the scanner (aka money making machine). I'll report how they make out and how much they'll charge. Again thanks for the help so far.

Matt

2005-2007 STS keys are not 'chipped' regardless of what anyone says. I'm not certain about later ones.

If you don't get the proper responses after cycling the door lock, something's busted. 5 seconds is longer than it seems, don't rush! I take it you've tried many times. Are you SURE you've got a good battery in the car?

The electrical system reset proceudre is to pull both battery cables (negative first), touch them together for a 3-count and reconnect (negative last). You may have to recalibrate your expres windows.

If none of this helps, I trhink it's dealer-time. Prepare to replace RCLRDL (or whatever). Anybody got better ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by EChas3

If none of this helps, I trhink it's dealer-time. Prepare to replace RCLRDL (or whatever). Anybody got better ideas?
    I don't like the sound of RCLRDL... What in the heck is that? Is it big money what does that stand for. I'm hoping my remotes just need to be reprogrammed. I believe (hope)it can be done with a scanner.

Ok so here's an update. Remote came in. I took the car to the dealer. They said they would program the remotes with the use of the scanner. Apparently after trying it they said it can't be programmed. There is some sort of a problem with the system. They say there's a service bulletin that says in cases like mine where the fob(s) are not functioning but starting the car they have to replace some module, the door antennas and replace the fobs with 2 new ones that I have to buy from them. I'm looking at well over thousand bucks!!! Is this correct?? I really hope someone can chime in here cause I'm not sure I understand why everything has to replaced including the fobs. One of my fobs was brand new. I mean I got it off eBay but it came sealed in a GM baggy. This is so frustrating. Never thought a remote issue would turn into that big of a problem.

I researched online and found that there is RCDLR module somewhere in the trunk. Supposedly fairly easy to replace although I'm sure the module itself isn't cheap. I didn't find anything about having to replace fobs or antennas in the door... Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Matt

I've never read of a member being sung that song and told to dance. It's not a reach for both handle/antennas to be bad. I wouldn't be surprised at a bad RCDLR, by itself either. To have all bad fobs, too, suggests to me that you've found a very lazy and potentially greedy shop. Try a different dealer.

Even if the handle/antennas are bad, the fob programming procedure should work; they aren't involved. As long as you have the correct fobs, there's no technical reason for the dealer to require you to purchase new ones from them. The 2005-early 2007 fobs are GM# 15212383 (Fob 1) & GM# 15212382 (Fob 2). There's no difference between them except the number cast in the plastic. The GM part #'s on the newer (key inside) fobs are very small & hard to read. The Fob 2 version I got from Tomm looks like GM# 25854936. I think the new-style fob 1 is ...935 or ...937.

1BadCadSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4
    Where are you located?

Hey I'm in Hamilton Ontario. I've been doing some more reading and came across this. It's some sort of GM service bulletin. Document number 1578527. Here's a link.

http://www.c5dreamer.com/sts/05manua...-08-52-008.pdf

Basically this makes perfect sense to me. The 2 conditions listed are. 1. No fobs detected and you get no start/crank unless fob is in the console pocket 2. Buttons on the fob are inoperative. It says you can experience either one or both problems. I'm only getting #2. Solution is to replace the RCDLR module in the trunk. It also lists the labor as 0.5 hrs to do so. Then you do the reprogramming procedure. Nothing about having to replace fobs or antennas etc etc. Aren't the antennas more so for the passive entry?? I'm gonna try and go back with this printed off and ask them to just replace the RCDLR module see if then they can enter the relearn procedure.

I'll let you know how I make out...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.