Water in the Headlights - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Water in the Headlights in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally Posted by maiahsdad I woulld think that this amount would NOT be evaporated by the heat from the lamps ...
    dkozloski is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

Re: Water in the Headlights

Quote Originally Posted by maiahsdad View Post
    I woulld think that this amount would NOT be evaporated by the heat from the lamps inside, nor from outside in any reasonable timeframe. I would think that the parts inside would rust.

----------

seems that I would notice it in the driveway, as well as the oil leak they've indicated. Pinion seal repair will set me back $350 or so he said. And i assume there's no dipstick to see where my differential fluid level is right now. Seems I'm totally hosed.... Unless I'm like many with a pile of cash ready to invest in an old fixer-upper.
    You're suffering the realities of owning a seven year old car. That being said; look at the back of your car. If it doesn't have oil spots on the rear bumper and you can't smell burning gear lube on the exhaust the pinion seal leak is negligible.
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!

ddalder is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS-4 N* 1SG

Well it's my fault. I shld have NEVER purchased a used car. I got toasted. And I'm on the 5yr hook for this one.
    It's a tough call for sure and I understand your frustration. As much as I'd like a brand new car, I just can't justify taking a bath on depreciation. I've always tried to make a point of buying a car new enough that it still has at least a little factory warranty. I figure that if the car still has warranty and did have problems, the owner would likely have just had it fixed (although this theory failed miserably with my STS). I still lose in depreciation, but not to the same degree. If you do this and thoroughly research the car, you will likely do okay. I never buy extended warranties, except on vehicles. To date, I've never come out on the short end.

malatu is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS 3.6 AWD

I'd contact him again.

[QUOTE=maiahsdad;2888091]I reached out to him in the past. Emailed and called. No response.

----------

maiahsdad is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05 STS AWD 1SG
    Quote Originally Posted by dkozloski

You're suffering the realities of owning a seven year old car. That being said; look at the back of your car. If it doesn't have oil spots on the rear bumper and you can't smell burning gear lube on the exhaust the pinion seal leak is negligible.
    The car is black. And no I've not noticed any smell of any kind. Which is a LOT different than my 99 STS I just sold. I'm just really bothered by all the recent news and problems that I have with a car I've JUST bought. I was hoping to drive it for awhile before major problems. And I'm hearing roaring from the left rear tire. The tire monitor comes on frequently. Think I need new tires. But I can't afford them right now.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by ddalder
    I never buy extended warranties, except on vehicles. To date, I've never come out on the short end.
    well I didn't on this one because the only one that was affordable didn't cover this type stuff. No headlight or seal or oil leaks. I checked all I could. Now I'm dead in the water.

----------

And the dealer told me that it had. Even thoroughly gone over and it was good. Contacted him yesterday and he said they found no such issues with the car and he wld never sell a car with known issues. He said he'd sell me a$2400 warranty but it wouldn't cover any of my issues. And there no $2400 anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by dkozloski

I stopped by a shop and played dumb to get a better understanding. Check it out here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nugx_FkvYHw

I'd be sort of pissed if you did that to me and posted in youtube. I hope the you gave the 20 bucks for his time!

KRSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Crystal Red 2008 3.6 DI RWD

You seem to be missing the bottom engine shroud. That could explain the water in the headlights?

Quote Originally Posted by malatu
    I'd be sort of pissed if you did that to me and posted in youtube. I hope the you gave the 20 bucks for his time!
    You would. But he wasn't. That's why the manager took over with the show and tell. He enjoyed it if U couldn't tell.

Cadjiek is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 XTS 2009 CTS AWD

Did you ask the mechanic about the headlight issue?

You would. But he wasn't. That's why the manager took over with the show and tell. He enjoyed it if U couldn't tell.
    Wow, then you must have made his day! You obviously missed my point. You don't think he values his time. Your entire time with him was based on deception. You told him you were "snapping a few pictures". And then you posed on youtube without his knowledge (I assume). Go back to him and let him you were playing dumb, were actually filming him and posted it to youtube. Maybe that would make his day again! .... maybe not. Just sayin' ......

Quote Originally Posted by malatu

Wow, then you must have made his day! You obviously missed my point. You don't think he values his time. Your entire time with him was based on deception. You told him you were "snapping a few pictures". And then you posed on youtube without his knowledge (I assume). Go back to him and let him you were playing dumb, were actually filming him and posted it to youtube. Maybe that would make his day again! .... maybe not. Just sayin' ......
    Afterwards I actually showed him the vid. He wondered if he should retake it. I told him I needed to post it to YouTube for my friends to see the underside. And he's the same guy that's changed my oil in my cars for last 5 years. Thy would have checked all free as normal with oil change anyways. In fact, they said they did. I told him about dealer experience. And snapping a few pic was my intention. It had the slider to video. And he wouldn't take any money, as I did offer. No one waiting, and they were sitting watching Steve Wilkos.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by Cadjiek
    Did you ask the mechanic about the headlight issue?
    Yes I did. He said for the cost of replacement, he would take a drill and carefully drill a tiny hole in the very bottom corner of the plastic to let out any standing water. He asked, "what other choices do U have if U don't have $1200 to throw at it?"

Yes I did. He said for the cost of replacement, he would take a drill and carefully drill a tiny hole in the very bottom corner of the plastic to let out any standing water. He asked, "what other choices do U have if U don't have $1200 to throw at it?"
    That's exactly what I would do except after the water drains I'd put a space heater on the headlight for a while and then seal it back with a dab of Goop.

UNKUT is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 DTS / 2005 STS

I wanna see the vid!!!

Lifer is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac STS 1SG, 2001 Cadillac Eldorado ETC

Quote Originally Posted by dkozloski View Post
    Even if you replace the lights with new the next time your monsoon season arrives the moisture could be right back. You might consider removing the headlight assemblies and putting them in a household oven set to 120-130 degrees overnight.
    Does this break the seal on the clear cover, or just dry the unit out? Do I open the two covers first, or just one?

It's not hot enough to melt any seals. I'd open both covers.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.