Leather Treatment
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Leather Treatment in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Good afternoon fellow STS owner, I was just wondering if any of you knowledgable STS owners could provide me with ...
    06WhiteDiamond is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 Cadillac STS-V

Leather Treatment

Good afternoon fellow STS owner,

I was just wondering if any of you knowledgable STS owners could provide me with some products to treat my leather to avoid the usual wear and tear to avoid cracking in the leather and to further extend the life of this beatifull vehicle. Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

malatu is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS 3.6 AWD

Re: Leather Treatment

I use spray on Lexol and rub it in with my bare hand.

I already have a bit ok cracking due to mileage (106,000 km's) and was wondering if this product or any other product also helps rejuvinate the leather?

malatu is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS 3.6 AWD

It certainly doesn't fix anything, but it I would say it rejuvenates it, per se'. If you have cracking, it may slow down the process of it continuing to crack deeper or longer. At the very least it keeps the leather supple and pliable preventing new cracks from appearing as a result of the leather being too dry.

mckellyb is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS N*, 1SF, 123K mi.

Leather care/rejuvenation as performed on my '95 W124 sedan, my wife's '02 RX300, and now the '05 STS.

Go to Amazon.com and get a bottle of Lexol cleaner and do a search on my review of Leather Honey. I'll copy-paste...

I know the seats in my wife and I's cars have likely been ignored since day 1. They're not abused and we don't have children, but the Mercedes is 16 years old, the Lexus 9. We plan on keeping both until we cannot stand looking at them any longer, and interior condition is a HUGE part of making it feel 'right'. I know for a fact, the second owner of the Mercedes, I'm owner #3, was both a slob AND lazy about upkeep. I've wiped the Lexus's interior down a couple of times with leather 'wipes', but I've never treated them properly.

If you have a car with leather, you know leather vehicle interiors are not at all inexpensive to repair/replace, so it's in your best interest to keep them in good shape from the start rather than trying to save them as they deteriorate. Additionally, the fix is never invisible. It may look the same, but does it FEEL the same? I'd put money on 'no'.

Before diving in, first was a test on my wallet, which I've carried for 4+ years in a back pocket. I have done positively nothing to as it pertains to leather care, other than I do my best to not let it get wet, i.e. drop it in the sink.

Cleaning and Leather Honey...wow! Just...WOW!

After a thorough cleaning with Lexol, to get the dirt out of the leather, I brushed on some Leather Honey. It has an odd feel to it...almost beeswaxy. It's not at all oily or slippery, like it appears. The next day, with my wallet feeling as if it were new...looks are another thing, but I don't care about look as much as feel...the cars were next.

I read about people expecting Leather Honey to 'heal' cracks and restore color. That's not what this is for, and it's not touted as such a product (which would be magic if it could, 'cause cracks are physical damage). Now, had it changed my wallet's leather from the color black to say, fuschia, I'd have an issue. This will not restore color to worn spots nor will it fix existing cracks. That's what dyes and repair guys are for. Additionally, after reading some of the negative reviews, I can't help but wonder what these folks expected. Restoration of worn/weathered anything isn't easy, and it won't turn out identical to the original. Items are new and original one time, and one time only.

Conditioning the cars' seats took some time and plenty of effort, and I wish it were warmer so the Honey may be better absorbed into the leather, but I'll tell you what, the difference in feel is amazing! The seats in my wife's 9 year old Lexus weren't this soft when the car was two years old! They didn't 'moo', but it was close.

Now, be aware, this is NOT a simple brush-on, wipe-off kinda thing. You've *gotta* follow directions, and I think it's better to apply too little rather than too much, as you can't really recover excess, and removal of any excess isn't easy. If using a foam sponge as an applicator, you can squeeze excess out, however. Having done it both ways, light and heavy, I'd MUCH rather go over it a second time than have to remove too much.

Tips: USE A LINT-FREE CLOTH! Heed the advice on the bottle! I thought the rag I was using wouldn't leave lint, but I'll be picking fuzz off the passenger's seat in my car for the next week. Applying with a foam sponge is perfect. Foam paintbrushes aren't sturdy enough, but the material is just right. I think removing with heavy-duty paper towels may be the way to go, too.

Get the 16 ounce bottle. It has no expiration date, and after you use it on a couple of items, you'll be surprised how many leather goods you have which you want to bring back to feeling new. I'm eyeballing our large L-shaped sofa, and while it'll be quite a bit of work, it'll be worth it. If you don't like it, I'd wager you could make the loss very minimal by eBaying the remainder.

Make certain you remove the excess a couple of times. I was tired and in a rush when I wiped down the 16 year old seats in my car, and I can see/feel I didn't remove all of the excess. It takes some arm strength, 'cause this stuff is quite viscous. The seats have a little bit of residue, but it's not oily, like I stated above, it's almost like wax. This is 100% my error. I should have taken more time. The good, no GREAT, thing is, a light leftover residue doesn't appear to stain clothes.

I parked my car in the sun, today, thinking maybe heat may help a bit of the excess soak into the leather. We'll see. In fact, I'll go check, now...

Nope, sunlight/heat (at least a nice late-February day in north Texas (mid-70's) doesn't help.

Let it soak in overnight, if possible. Do NOT rush it. Even with 16 year old car seats which have been in Texas their entire lives, a second coat is unnecessary. I might put a second on my wallet's exterior, just to see if there's a noticeable difference.

One other VERY important thing to remember. If you like 'slippery' leather, DO NOT USE THIS. It makes leather almost a bit 'tacky'. At least initially. After a few days of contact with clothes/skin, it feels pretty normal, but not dried-out and polished like it may have been before proper conditioning. The leather is back to the somewhat "grippy" properties it had, originally.

Update: while this was a review for the 16 oz. bottle, the 8 oz item is identical. After a couple of weeks, my wallet *still* feels great, which is a VERY pleasant surprise. Another thing, no odor with this stuff and no fumes. While I can't claim it's magic, they're close. My wife spilled a little bit of water on her car's seat when getting out, and she was amazed at how well the water beaded up and ran right off. It's like Rejex (used on automotive paint/windows, and much better than Rain-X), but for leather.

Any leather item, besides coats/jackets, is getting this treatment from now on. Fight deterioration from minute one.

----------------------------

I know, for some TL;DR. Fine.

I can say, the perfect applicator is a closed-cell foam sponge, if you can find one. Take my lint comment seriously. That was the worst part of the whole bit, trying to get the lint off after I goofed.

Damp paper towels, decent ones, do well. I removed the excess Leather Honey with one paper towel per seating position. You're not going to use a roll, just don't try to do it with dry paper towels.

Thanks mckellyb for posting your review of Leather Honey, i will most certainly give this a try and hopefully post my results for other STS owners.

mckellyb is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS N*, 1SF, 123K mi.

I don't mind one bit.

I'm going to try and do my seats/wallet/sofa about once every six months...at least for the parts which see use (i.e., not the back seats of either car and one section of the sofa thankfully), but I think it'll 'last' for about 8 months before starting to give up.

CadillacSevilleSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 Seville STS

I recommend using a separate leather cleaner and conditioner. I am no leather expert, but from having a scientific background with a lot of chemistry it has always made no sense to me when they combine the cleaner and conditioner. The cleaner pulls dirt and oil out of the leather while the conditioner provides new natural oils to the leather. Lexol is definitely a good brand. The best resource for auto detailing supplies I have found is autogeek.net . They have some great articles on there.

caddyfat2 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS4 1SG w/ HUD-ACC

The very best IMHO is LEATHERQUE. It works wonders on crappy abused leather. Their pristine clean and rejuvenator is great. I have used it many years with the same terrific results.Do a search and explore the product for yourself. You will be mildly pleased.

CTBB is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS N* 1SF

Quote Originally Posted by caddyfat2 View Post
    The very best IMHO is LEATHERIQUE. It works wonders on crappy abused leather. Their pristine clean and rejuvenator is great. I have used it many years with the same terrific results.Do a search and explore the product for yourself. You will be mildly pleased.
    +1 and corrected your post. Link: http://leatherique.org/default.aspx
    This is very impressive stuff, albeit at a much higher price than most other products on the market.

Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by CTBB View Post
    +1 and corrected your post. Link: http://leatherique.org/default.aspx
    This is very impressive stuff, albeit at a much higher price than most other products on the market.

Glenn
    you know what John Arbuckle says: YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR.

CTBB is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS N* 1SF

You're preaching to the choir here! I'm a believer!

Glenn

8 years ago I had an Allante and when I got it the seats were like cardboard and after 2 applications the seats were as soft as butter. Really good stuff.

Lifer is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac STS 1SG, 2001 Cadillac Eldorado ETC

Leatherique is the best leather treatment and cleaner out there.

1. Get some spray bottles to help apply. Costco had a deal on salad dressing spray bottles that you can pump up to create a spray. The set was two bottles for about $16.00. They can be used to store the Leatherique product, or cleaned out and used for other applications.

2. Get both the rejuvinator oil and the prestine cleaner. Expensive - well, not as bad as buying new leather.

3. Understand that the leather used in automobiles for the past 20 years or more are sealed with top treatments from the manufacturer and do not "soak" up anything. Dirt and soiling is possible, but the leather is somewhat protected. After it gets creased from use and cracks occur, part of the patina of use, there can be some absorption of fluid-type items, but overall, a damp cloth will clean the seats in normal conditions.

4. I found this to be the best way to use Leatherique. Do this in the morning of a "it's going to be a hot day today - over 90 degrees" day.

First, take the rejuvenator oil and after preparing it, spray each seat's leather surface with enough material that you can move around with your hands, like finger painting when you were a kid. Massage it in. The entire surface should be covered. The seams, where they are sewn - really sewn, not just looks like stitching, get extra coverage because the oil can soak in here. Any joint gets extra oil. Don't be concerned with slop, or excess oil (don't waste, but use what you need).

Now, close the doors with the windows rolled up and the car parked on the sun. Cook it. Bake it in. Leave it alone to do its job.

5. Now, in the late afternoon, or evening, return, and get ready to remove the oil full of dirt and soil and what all it soaked up. Spray cleaner on the leather areas and using a paper towel or cloth, remove the oil. wiping is good and doesn't hurt any thing. After the the oil has been removed, spray some more cleaner, use fresh towels, and wipe some more.

If you did this right, the leather will be clean and soft, the cracks will still be there, the color still the same, and the seats will feel good.

Do this twice a year and you will be pleased. Use the cleaners as a normal weekly or bi-weekly cleaning.

OK, what do I know? I do not work for Leatherique. I use this product on black, and on light grey seats. I let my Cocker Spaniel have the run of the back seat in the grey car. He goes to the park and back home in the car. He gets the seats dirty. My wife insists on a drive-through diet Coke every day for supper. Lets not discuss spilled diet Coke. And Leatherique WORKS on all this and more. So, I am a believer. I have tried Lexol, and other store brands, but nothing works like this stuff.

Smiling Jack is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Now: 79Eldo, 95SevSTS, 06STS. Former: 71&75 CDV,81Eldo,91SDV

I'm fond of saying, "AT BEST, you get what you pay for."

All too often, getting what we've paid for is an unachievable goal.

Many thanks to all for the testimonials on Leatherique and especially to "Lifer" for the treatment details.
    EChas3 and EChas3 like this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.