Need new Tires
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Need new Tires in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hey guys, I'm about to be in the market for new tires, i have an 05 Northstar with the 235/50-17 ...
    orange57 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS Northstar RWD

Need new Tires

Hey guys,

I'm about to be in the market for new tires, i have an 05 Northstar with the 235/50-17 (pretty sure on the size) tires all the way around. I want to get a good touring tire, as I don't really push the car hard, but do spend a descent amount of time on the freeway. Also looking for good mileage. What are you guys running? Has anyone gone with a different size? Seems some of the touring tires are offered in a slightly different profile size. I know that will impact the speedo/mileage readings though. Looking for inputs.

Thanks,
    matt

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

cadillacmike68 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 68 DVC, 96 FLTWD Brg, 09 STS N* Platinum, 11 CTS Premium

Re: Need new Tires

A quick check of tire rack shows that the Kumho Ecsta LX Platinum (Grand Touring All-Season) at approx 135 ea (plus shipping, etc...) is a decent price.

I have these in 18" on my STS, and they have been great. The tire has a 600 A A rating, meaning it should last.

Loren is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 08 STS

I have the General G-Max AS03's on my 08 and I'm really happy with them. Great traction and relatively quiet. I haven't taken a long trip on them yet so I can't comment on the gas milage. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

Tire choice is a personal decision. Tire rack has a nice guide with questions that help a buyer define their preferences. Call them trade-off's or a compromise, different people have different priorities.

Before changing sizes, understand that wider isn't always better; i.e. in snow, mileage & noise level. For comparison, I like this site:

http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp

----------

I notice you're in Phoenix. If you stay mostly in the Southwest and rarely drive into mountain snow, you might like the tire my wife's car wears in the Summer, Continental DW.

orange57 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS Northstar RWD

EChas,

That calculator is pretty cool. I'll have to take a look at it. I know tires are a personal decision, and it is always about trade offs. On my Jetta I had a set of tires that lasted 30K miles, and the rep at Discount said that was about 4 times as many miles as the average person gets out of them. I was disappointed in the 30K based on the price of the tire, and how I drive. And they were recommended by a different rep the previous time I was in. So I'm basically trying to avoid a $1200 set of tires that i'm going to need to replace pretty quick.

My driving style is pretty mellow. I don't hit the twisties to often as pretty much all the roads around here are straight And I only mash the gas occasionally when I feel i need to clear the engine. I'd really like to get 50K out of a set of tires. I will take a look at those continentals. My wifes Saturn Vue has BF Goodrich tires on them, don't remember which ones, and the mileage has been fantastic. We have like 55K miles on the tires and still a ton of tread life left. However the road noise is a little dissappointing.

Thanks for the insight guys.

matt

Don't count the Kumhos out, they also have a nice formadable ridge against the rim edge to protect your expensive wheels from curb hits. My wife's vouges, at probably over twice the price don't even have any protective ridge. Additionally, take a look at the actual tire's you plan to get in the correct size to see if they have; at least two plies, and a cap over the steel / kevlar belts, and check the tire grades, 400 or better should be a minumim.

UNKUT is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 DTS / 2005 STS

We just put a set of basic COOPER tires on ours last Tuesday when we bought it because the factory tires were still on it and when you drove it sounded like a couple wheel hubs were bad....with a whomp whomp whomp lol! Since the new tires its smooth as can be and they were only like $450 out the door mounted/balanced. Now I've got Vogues on my DTS and they ride absolutely great, but were over $1100 a set! Basically you get what you pay for with tires and your routine/use is what it really comes down to.

mckellyb is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS N*, 1SF, 130K mi.

I used to really like Kumho tires, but the last set of KH21's, which were on my wife's RX300, were gone by 33K miles. Alignment is spot-on, and the car sees nothing but freeway travel.

They were made in China, which may be the problem. Treadwear on these Kumhos is 640, but they wore very quickly. I replaced those with BFG All-Terrains, which, while kinda loud, are pretty much indestructible.

On the STS, the previous owner put Continental Extreme DWS tires on it, and with almost 30K miles on them, they're about 3/5ths worn. I expect to see 55K out of them, and will buy them again.

02603sec is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): STS 1SF Black V8 2006
    I like the kumho ecstas but they were dangerous in the rain after 20k. Hankook now.. they ride nice. Dont expect them to last very long though.. 06 stsv8 1se. They have the rim protection too. New performance tires dont last long..

Well, I guess that's another thing to check on the actual tires, where they're made. Mine are made in Korea. I won't put chinese made tires on my cars. My Kumho Ecsta platinums have no discernable tread wear after nearly 7,000 miles since i bought my STS.

jkharnage is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac STS

Uniroyal tiger paw GTZ; Non directional, 400 tread wear, Traction "A", and Temperature "AA". I paid 120.00 per tire and I'm satified with the ride without draining the bank account. Down side; "MADE IN CHINA". If I get 4 years out of these tires, then I would definitely buy a new set.

caddyfat2 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS4 1SG w/ HUD-ACC

I just put NEXEN N7000's on my car. There is a night and day difference from the SUNNY tires I had on before them. The Sunny tires only lasted 2 years and were very noisey .The Nexen tires are very quiet.( Now my Cadillac sounds like a Cadillac not a Mack truck) I will be able to gauge these new tires in about 6 months.

ondale is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 Catera Sport

Continental Extreme DWS, nicest all season tire. Smooth and quiet and decent in the snow. Didn't notice any measurable mpg improvement, but they are on the higher end. DiscountTireDirect has the 245/45-17 for $615 shipped and no tax on eBay ($154 ea.). I've bought from DTD in the past via eBay and had them installed locally.

erichthecatt is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CADILLAC STS 1SC

I have a set of these on my 2005 bonneville GXP, Northstar. Have had them almost 3 years now. apprx 25,000 miles on them. Excellent tires. Showing No wear. Ill be putting these Kumho Ecsta LX Platinum tires on my STS when my factory tires wear a little more. Cant beat the quality and the price. I kind of hesitated originally on buying a foreign made tire, but so much of the car is foreign anyhow.

Quote Originally Posted by cadillacmike68 View Post
    A quick check of tire rack shows that the Kumho Ecsta LX Platinum (Grand Touring All-Season) at approx 135 ea (plus shipping, etc...) is a decent price.

I have these in 18" on my STS, and they have been great. The tire has a 600 A A rating, meaning it should last.

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

My wife's car still has its Blizzak's on. Even as mild a Winter we've had, we might get another storm before April. Then she enjoys Conti-DW for great Summer traction. All are 235/50R17's on the non-staggered OEM rims.

----------

From another tire thread:

Quote Originally Posted by EChas3 View Post
    It's your preference. 235/50R18 & 255/45R18 are nearly the same circumference.

http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp

Staggered setups shouldn't be rotated. Wider tires look good but may be more noisy. The treadwidth isn't really that different. I chose 4 Contiinental DWS 235/50R18 on my AWD for a quiet ride and rotate them once a year. I'm getting excellent wear and traction far exceeds the staggered OEM MXM's. What characteristics are most important to you?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.