NEW PURCHASE ('05 STS V8) Issues Already!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, NEW PURCHASE ('05 STS V8) Issues Already! in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I just purchased a Silver 2005 STS with 67k miles today! On my 3 hr ride home from the place ...
    UNKUT is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 DTS / 2005 STS

NEW PURCHASE ('05 STS V8) Issues Already!

I just purchased a Silver 2005 STS with 67k miles today! On my 3 hr ride home from the place of purchase I randomly received a "HOOD AJAR" warning with a pic of the hood open in the display. Of course I pulled over and the hood was secure....so I opened it and reclosed it and made sure the handle wasn't pushed/pulled in any way and I still received this message another time or two before I put her to bed for the night! Now I'm used to a 2000 DTS so theres obviously new technology I'm unaware of so any help would be appreciated. Oh, and its an AWESOME car with UNBELIEVABLE power!!!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

1BadCadSTS is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4
    The latch has failed there's some sensor in it. Common problem.

dkozloski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

Re: NEW PURCHASE ('05 STS V8) Issues Already!

Spray some WD-40 on the latch and on the end of the release cable. If you work the handle a little bit that ought to take care of it.
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!

Thanks fellas! I'll WD-40 it and if that doesn't work I'll go from there and I guess replace that sensor......or isit the latch/sensor assembly?

chazglenn3 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 White Diamond STS N* 1SF RWD ACC/HUD

You have to buy the latch assembly. I found mine cheaper from the Chevy dealer.

Quote Originally Posted by chazglenn3 View Post
    You have to buy the latch assembly. I found mine cheaper from the Chevy dealer.
    You don't happen to have the part number handy do you? Its the part thats in the grille right? Mine only pops the "Hood Open" code every onece in awhile....which is weird. I'm gonna hit it with some WD-40 tomorrow and then just replace that assembly as a last resort.

chazglenn3 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 White Diamond STS N* 1SF RWD ACC/HUD

Sorry I don't have the part number.

I just hit it pretty good with some WD40 yesterday so we'll see how that goes before replacement because its more of a random annoyance then anything lol! I'll be sure to update with any future action I take though.

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

WD40 is more of a cleaner than a lubricate. Radio shack sells electrical contact cleaner too.

Even if that doesn't do the trick, consider silicone or graphite spray before speading money.

AllWheelEric is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS4 1SG

Quote Originally Posted by UNKUT View Post
    I just hit it pretty good with some WD40 yesterday so we'll see how that goes before replacement because its more of a random annoyance then anything lol! I'll be sure to update with any future action I take though.
    It's only a random annoyance until the car decides the hood has changed status from closed to open in the middle of the night. This can happen. It looks to the car like a theft. The car has an alarm function for that. Ask me how I know.

The latch was redesigned after some point around mid 2005 or 2006. The part is readily found for under $100 and replacing it is a DIY job. I recommend being proactive. You may find older posts on the topic.

Quote Originally Posted by AllWheelEric View Post
    It's only a random annoyance until the car decides the hood has changed status from closed to open in the middle of the night. This can happen. It looks to the car like a theft. The car has an alarm function for that. Ask me how I know.

The latch was redesigned after some point around mid 2005 or 2006. The part is readily found for under $100 and replacing it is a DIY job. I recommend being proactive. You may find older posts on the topic.
    Thanks for the info....I'll keep it in mind as time goes by. It hasn't done it since I hit it with the WD40 but if it does it again I'll just swap it out.

Cadjiek is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 XTS 2009 CTS AWD

I just remembered that I had my latch replaced under warranty a month after I bought my car new!! Popped open at 70 mph on the Ohio Turnpike.
    Looked thru my papers and the repair order shows part# 25778967. Car only had 1400 miles on it. My problems started real soon too! Hope this helps you. Thank goodness for the safety latch.

zek4964 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 08 cts 68k, 07 STS-V 15K, 97 Sts 160k

Quote Originally Posted by UNKUT View Post
    . Oh, and its an AWESOME car with UNBELIEVABLE power!!!!!
    I have been looking for a 06 or newer thought about going with a V6 for price but I hate to comprimize on what I want. So from what Im picking up from you is go with the V8.? No other issues with the car yet other than the deck lid? Did you buy it private of from a dealer? Warrenty ar ethey 3 yr 36 mile still, if you know?

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

For a few bucks more gas money, you get better reliability and power. Only AWD N* really suck the juice and all are priced about the same. Besides, the V8's get the high-end options.

Quote Originally Posted by zek4964 View Post
    I have been looking for a 06 or newer thought about going with a V6 for price but I hate to comprimize on what I want. So from what Im picking up from you is go with the V8.? No other issues with the car yet other than the deck lid? Did you buy it private of from a dealer? Warrenty ar ethey 3 yr 36 mile still, if you know?
    Mine was purchased from a dealer and I couldn't imagine not having the V8, theres just SO MUCH power! And no, since I sprayed the hood latch with some WD40 its been good. I've replaced all tires, flushed/filled all fluids, new brakes going in tomorrow, cleaned the TB with all new filters, and I'm doing the NAV/DVD upgrade tomorrow. Its an AWESOME car and I'm glad to have it.....hopefully it'll last for years to come!!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.