exhaust sound - Page 5
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, exhaust sound in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; You realize this is a dohc motor. It's true sound will never be like a 60 muscle car with a ...
    1BadCadSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4
    You realize this is a dohc motor. It's true sound will never be like a 60 muscle car with a pushrod and it shouldn't it's a lux sedan. Just an FYI.

aliskerov is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac STS
    I agree, i should have made myself more clear. id rather have the Cadi sound like the mustang (later models have a dohc v8), then a v8 infinity or mercedes

CapnCurt is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS
    Quote Originally Posted by aliskerov
    I must say, the GM performance exhaust option sound nice. I tried installing a Gibson on my 2005 N*, but it hangs too low - meant for the lower rear bumper on the Vs and late model STS. Also the pipe doesn't bend downwards by the differential, and, if the mount hooks were bent to make the muffler fit nicely, the pipes would hit against the sway bar. That said, I have the option of making this $400 exhaust custom fit for an additional $300 or more, or buy a different set up meant for my vehicle.

The Corsa sounds okay, but it's a bit European sounding - higher pitched. IMO the Cadillac should show off it's american V8 heritage, and sound like Gibson and Borla would do a better job. Borla's non-V exhaust has been discontinued (and were originally listed for $1200-$1400, but the GM performance exhaust has identical mount set up when compare to my stock exhaust (Gibson's mounts are located on top of the muffler can vs. around the muffler tip, making it hang lower).

For the same $1000 the Corsa costs, I'd rather buy the cat-back GM performance exhaust. The question is, how good does it sound? Some have mentioned that it's basically a Borla, but did GM downgrade anything to cut costs? Any one experience one of these? I feel like installing one of those myself and having a cat-back exhaust would be better then hacking away at the Gibson and then welding it into place in hopes that it works properly.
    Don't have a clue who's doing your exhaust work, my gibson exhaust hangs up very good and it doesn't hit the sway bar or anything else. Its not to low either, at least on my car with the factory 18 inch rims on it. See for yourself!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Pg4...e_gdata_player

06WhiteDiamond is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac STS4

Re: exhaust sound

Anything out their for us V6 guys??/

1BadCadSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4
    08+ has a slightly different system from axle back hence why corsa lists 05-07 only.

V6 only direct bolt on is gm performance but any v8 system will work with a little custom work.

I haven't heard enough in way of Magnaflow. I'm stuck between getting the Gibson retrofited to fit my 2005 N* or getting a set of Magnaflow 14326 mufflers with matching tips and getting them fitted to the car. Any pros or cons to either one? I hear the Magnaflows are very free-flowing when compared to other mufflers, which is good for performance. On the other hand, some say they are alot louder then average, which sounds like fun, but may not fit the Cadillac profile. I also seem to hear alot of good things about the Gibson, and tend to like the way it sounds, but Magnaflow does have a great rep.

Ended up getting a Gibson. If you have a 2005-2007 and want to have a Gibson exhaust installed on your N*, be prepared to need a different front muffler mount installed, as well as having a larger diameter Muffler pipe welded to a smaller diameter stock pipe. I wasn't thrilled with the install, but that depends on your muffler shop of choice. The sound difference is amazing. The car sounds mean! My stepfather has a 2008 Hemi 300C with a Borla cat-back and CAI intake, and my STS sounds louder AND deeper when I hit the gas pedal. I wouldn't go any louder though, after all, it is a luxury vehicle.

sztolcaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Gone: 93 Seville V8 4.9L SLS, Now: STS v8 RWD'05, Honda Fit

Anyone put sideways mounted pipes, like they use to do in crown victorias?

c32k05 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): STS

B1n2fra is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 1SG Cadillac sts v8 awd
    Make another video maybe longer so we can really hear it.

Ludacrisvp is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS4 V8 F55 1SG Euro tails & 01 Monte SS Pace Car

Post bump:

Gibson with resonator sounded the best from what I heard... possibly just because there was more to hear.
    Might be Youtube issues but after removing resonator and going straight pipe rather than X or H it got really bad sounding.

1BadCadSTS's video was kind of quiet and short for the driving run, sounded OK at idle though.

On a side note:
    I think I have an exhaust heat shield vibration as I hear a fast rattle / scrape sound when revving in park / neutral also while accelerating.
    Sounds like it is coming from around the area of the resonator anyways.
    Ideas??

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

............ and something to think about from the past .................. Older RWD cars had the mufflers under the passenger compartment floor and used long tailpipes - they have an entirely different sound, and tuning procedures, from our short pipe rear muffler cars with their raspy, choppy exhaust note.......... it's actually the tailpipe length and size that "tunes" the exhaust note, not the muffler.

Sidepipes with glasspacks at the front end - just behind the fenderwell - with a 4' exhaust pipe would sound totally different from a rear-muffler setup............. but just like the '67 Stingray 427 with sidepipes, ground clearance is a problem. (Actual horsepower was about 510)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmRuBW3C36U

97CadillacPimpin is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac STS 1SF 76k | '97 SLS (154k) (for sale)

Gibson with resonator sounds great, I may have to look into one

Charles Warren is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 sts v8 and 2003 cts 3.2

i need to upload my vids of my x pipe and moroso spiroflows. and for the record a northstar cant sound bad no matter what you do to it =)

cdixon is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS V8

Can you tell me where you found your Gibson exhaust? All I see are for the STS-V, I have the 4.4 V8 but was told the V application will not fit the NorthStar V8.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.