Gas Mileage
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Gas Mileage in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I get ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE gas mileage. $60 gets me about 215 miles around town (inner interstate and beltways mostly). And ...
    maiahsdad is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05 STS AWD 1SG

Gas Mileage

I get ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE gas mileage. $60 gets me about 215 miles around town (inner interstate and beltways mostly). And not a hell of a lot more on long trips. And I've noticed no mileage difference between using 87 and 93 from Shell and BP. Way different from my 99 STS.

Can it be better? It's all tuned up and running great. And I'm not driving it hard constantly.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

ddalder is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS-4 N* 1SG

Re: Gas Mileage

Well, you're doing better than me! I attribute some of my poor gas mileage to extra idling in the winter and remote starts. I know mine will improve with warmer weather, but it's extremely poor right now.

I've heard so many things, some people say it's because it is four-wheel-drive. Others are saying it's because it's a V-8. Then others even say that it's because of the gearing in the car.

chazglenn3 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 White Diamond STS N* 1SF RWD ACC/HUD

It is the sum of those parts...AWD, V8 and 3.23 gear ratio equals a bad ass car that gets mediocre mileage. You bought a luxury performance car...not a Prius.

I was looking forward to 17 city and 25 highway.

I'm not looking for gas mileage that will compete with a Prius, but I did expect better than what I've seen lately. Of all the cars I've ever owned, only one wasn't a V-8 so the world of bigger, more thirsty engines isn't new to me. The past few fills, I've been getting barely more than 125 miles to 14.5 gallons. I have no driveability problems with my car. The intake is snug, tires are properly inflated, other maintenance is up to date and I have less than 40,000 miles.

Compared with my 4.6L Northstar Bonneville, the STS gets about half the fuel economy. I understand it's a different configuration, somewhat different engine etc, but this is a big variance.

AkeenWash is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Man I just purchased a 95 edlo northstar and I changed the oil and air filter, checked tire pressure, got a tune up, checked everything and I still barely get 11 mpg!!!-___- is there anything else I can do?!

KRSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Crystal Red 2008 3.6 DI RWD

Quote Originally Posted by maiahsdad View Post
    I was looking forward to 17 city and 25 highway.
    That is what I get on my 08 RWD 3.6DI.

dkozloski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

The biggest factor in gas milage is the weight of the driver's foot on the gas pedal. Set the DIC for instantaneous milage and you'll see where the gas is going.
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!

mckellyb is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS N*, 1SF, 123K mi.

Really poor MPG, but no obvious problems, typically means an oxygen sensor is failing or is totally hosed.

When these die, the engine's computer defaults to full-rich 100% of the time.

Sure, the car should tell you there's a problem, but I've seen bad O2 sensors not tip off the ECU.

Don't forget, winter, "oxygenated" fuel has less actual gasoline in it, more air, so you'll see a 10-20% drop, depending on the vehicle.

This annoys me to no end, because the reason behind it, old cars with stuck chokes, are not a common daily-driver any more. This was the reason it was introduced.

Smiling Jack is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Now: 79Eldo, 95SevSTS, 06STS. Former: 71&75 CDV,81Eldo,91SDV

Quote Originally Posted by AkeenWash View Post
    Man I just purchased a 95 edlo northstar and I changed the oil and air filter, checked tire pressure, got a tune up, checked everything and I still barely get 11 mpg!!!-___- is there anything else I can do?!
    Akeen,

I had a '95 Seville STS with the Northstar V8 for 13 0r 14 years. I never got less than 28 to 30 mpg on long highway trips, but I never usually got more than 10 or 12 mpg in our regular city driving. The reason was that our usual daily trips were less than 5 miles. When on occasion I did a daily trip of 12 or 15 miles (one way), I would get 15 to 20 mpg. Short trips kill mpg because it simply takes a certain extra bit of gasoline (perhaps one or two tenths of a gallon depending on outside air temperature) to warm up a cold engine, and unless you drive a long enough distance to average that out, you simply can't get up to normal average mpg.

Quote Originally Posted by Smiling Jack

Akeen,

I had a '95 Seville STS with the Northstar V8 for 13 0r 14 years. I never got less than 28 to 30 mpg on long highway trips, but I never usually got more than 10 or 12 mpg in our regular city driving. The reason was that our usual daily trips were less than 5 miles. When on occasion I did a daily trip of 12 or 15 miles (one way), I would get 15 to 20 mpg. Short trips kill mpg because it simply takes a certain extra bit of gasoline (perhaps one or two tenths of a gallon depending on outside air temperature) to warm up a cold engine, and unless you drive a long enough distance to average that out, you simply can't get up to normal average mpg.
    I drive 19 miles each way every day.

dkozloski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

Until the engine warms up it operates in open loop where the ECM uses a look-up table to set the mixture rather than responding to the O2 sensors. Short trips in cold weather kill milage and it takes a lot of driving after the engine warms up to bring the overall milage back up. If you look at the original window sticker, there is a $1500 charge for gas guzzler tax with good reason; it's a gas guzzler.

The best you can do is keep a light foot on the go-pedal and keep the speed down.
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!

That is RPO:

R8E - GAS GUZZLER TAX

orange57 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS Northstar RWD

I'm at the opposite end of the spectrum. I commute 8 miles one way to work. And really don't put much other mileage on the car. i averaged 18-20 most of the time. When we did take it on a road trip to CA, I was averaging around 25-28. Overall pleased. Considering the 2002 VW Jetta with the 2.8VR6 i used to have got worse mpg's then this and didn't have 300hp.

matt

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.