Gas Mileage - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Gas Mileage in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally Posted by EChas3 Seriously, watch your tach. It's easy to exceed 2,000 RPM in an AWD N* STS and ...
    maiahsdad is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05 STS AWD 1SG
    Quote Originally Posted by EChas3
    Seriously, watch your tach. It's easy to exceed 2,000 RPM in an AWD N* STS and mileage suffers greatly.

On the other hand, if the cost of driving an STS bothers you that much, you're in the wrong car. There are plenty of high-mileage shitboxes available. Other luxury performace sedans will end up costing even more.
    just in case this part of ur comment intent was to add some value to my situation specifically; my last car was a lux performance vehicle that rendered different (better) results, and in thought, I felt this specific vehicle class would be markedly better if not the same, but surely not worse given the strides in improving this model. Hence my query of those WITH this same vehicle to respond with THEIR experiences.

The video albeit rough, is there. Others please weigh in.

And the interstate speed here is posted at 70mph most places. Seems odd that I need to drive 50mph to get anywhere close to decent mpg.

70mph is around 2100 on the tach.

Lastly, I personally (if this was in reference to me) am not bothered by the cost of driving an STS. If that were so, I wouldn't have gotten OUT of one and right back IN to another one. I'm just bothered by the costs generated by THIS one regarding its fuel consumption enough that I would shoot footage and enlist the opinions of others to rule out abnormality.

Midnight is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS 1SG

Re: Gas Mileage

Watched the vid. It looked like you were accelerating lightly throughout. Which makes it hard to judge, considering how misleading INST can be (I dropped mine to 3 MPG coming out of an off-ramp this morning, lol). I can certainly keep my MPG down to like 15ish if I'm accelerating from 60-75 or so, or going up a slight incline.

I watched my INST this morning and I was holding steady at 20-22 MPG @ 65mph @ 2100 or so RPM. 75 is at 2600 RPM, and I was getting ~19ish MPG. But I didn't get to hold these speeds too long (65 was probably accurate, 75 was not maintained that long and there was a small hill coming up). So far on this tank I have about 120 miles and have something like 21.5 MPG average (according to the DIC). I haven't had to make any short trips so far. They are what kills my mileage.

I have the 3.42 gears.

The big, more accurate thing is your average MPG over a tank. If you're getting like 12 mpg, then something is wrong with your car. If you're getting ~17, it could just be driving style (short trips, heavy foot, traffic), or it could be car problems (they might be minor like underinflated tires). If you're getting 20ish, then that's normal, and if you're getting 24+ then you should probably try to live a little

Personally, I don't see how you could get something like 12 MPG yet not have any other side effects of a poorly running engine.

C&C
    C&C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac STS (2011)

I watched the vid, and it appears that the tranny is fine (shifting and locking up the torque converter). A little perplexed (still); are your brakes dragging at all? When you're rolling and get out of the gas (pedal), does you car slow exorbitantly quick? I'm running out of ideas. Maybe try getting up to speed (on a vacant/safe and level road) and just shift into neutral and see how quickly she slows.

EChas3 is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

Sorry, no offense intended. Too often I encounter people that expect perfection when engineering is usually collection of compromises.

The DIC can be quite inaccurate. If you're driving like in the clip and getting less than 15 MPG, something is wrong. My list:

Loose intake manifold bolts
    Bad cats should throw a code
    Sticky caliper or parking brake
    Wheel bearing/alignment'tire pressures?

Here's another video taken just now. Hope U can see the tach.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVAirGO2LY8

malatu is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS 3.6 AWD

Hey, you're almost out of gas!

Quote Originally Posted by malatu
    Hey, you're almost out of gas!
    LOL! Yep! Was on my way to the Shell station at that very moment.

CapnCurt is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS

I have a 2008 sts v8 and my wife can average 17.2 mpg when she drive and I can only do 15.8-16.4, I be on it! Hwy does about 21-22 mpg cruising bout 80

I wonder if the tank size has something to do with my feelings. I think my 99 STS tank held abt 18.6 or so gallons, and this one seems to hold less... at least t seems so, as my chime rang and I let it go as far as I felt safe. It held 15.5 gallons.

I'm wondering if being accustomed to driving 300 or miles per tank is part of my issue.

Most recently I filled up and drove 80 miles on the first 1/4 tank! I was overjoyed! I just KNEW I would get 300-325 miles off this tank. Wrong! After achieving 159 miles by the hash mark between 3/4 and 1/2 tank, my optimism quickly went away as the needle quickly began to move. I have 1/4 tank left and I've driven 179 miles. And I've driven very mildly.

The dealer says no drag anywhere, and no bad sensors post the check. No error messages. They say it's because of AWD and gearing.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight
    The big, more accurate thing is your average MPG over a tank. .
    stay tuned. 1/4 tank to go before empty. I reset all the MPG data to capture as accurately as the system can relative to this tank full.

malatu is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS 3.6 AWD

Good point. "A person's perception is their reality". The question begs to be asked .... do you know exactly what your miles per gallon was with your 99STS. And do you know exactly what your miles per gallon is for your 05 STS. That is the only real way to compare. How far and fast your gas gauge needle travels serves no purpose in determining anything in this universe. I assume you know how to accurately calculate mpg over time. Calculate it with a minimum of one full tank. Better yet, a couple of tanks will give you a more accurate "average" assuming the kind of driving you do during that time represents the kind of the driving you actually do.

Yes, I do. And this is my 5th full tank. 2 with 93, 2 with 89, and last with 87. Gas grade makes no difference in this car.

99 STS averaged about 18 city and 27 or so over the highway.

Dealer says all sensors check out fine. No drag anywhere else. Says AWD is killing the MPG.

dkozloski is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

I have an '06 AWD V8 STS with RPO GU5(3.23 gearing) and I get 22-24MPG on a long trip if I hold the speed below 70 MPH. If I go faster it drinks gas dramatatically. In sub zero weather I'm lucky to get 10-12MPG in town.
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!

EChas3 is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

For best MPG accuracy, fill from the same pump and don't top off. The DIC may not be accurate, so calculate it manually.

----------

Koz - Does the accuracy of your DIC vary in Winter?

Quote Originally Posted by EChas3
    For best MPG accuracy, fill from the same pump and don't top off. The DIC may not be accurate, so calculate it manually.
    how do U do Ur manual calcs?

1BadCadSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4
    Miles traveled / fuel used = mpg

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.