2012 Navigation Disc - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree7Likes
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, 2012 Navigation Disc in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Now correct me if I'm wrong but when you upgrade to new maps your old ones are no longer needed. ...
    ian nummer is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS

Re: 2012 Navigation Disc

Now correct me if I'm wrong but when you upgrade to new maps your old ones are no longer needed. That being said, what is wrong with giving them to others less fortunate and in need of an upgrade or worse yet, don't even have a disc at all to run your nav system. I am one of the less fortunate ones that don't even have a disc set to use. This renders my nav system totally useless. What would be wrong if someone was kind enough to let me have their older version DVD disc? If anyone has a DVD set that I could have would you please email me. Please send email to inummer at aol dot com. It would be greatly appreciated.
    Does the dealer charge for the firmware update? How much does it cost.

Again I thank everyone for their input. I stumbled on this site after purchasing my 2008 STS RWD. it has information that is invaluable.

Ian
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

MacMuse is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS N* 1SE
    Quoting Rolex, our resident copyright enforcer / admin.

Exchanging copies of a copyrighted disc is illegal. Discussing illegal activities here is against the rules. You need to familiarize yourself with the net act and it's stiff penalties. Read on:

Pirated software is a crime:

http://www.justice.gov/criminal/cybercrime/levy2rls.htm
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NET_Act

The NET Act makes it illegal to reproduce or distribute copyrighted works, such as software programs and musical recordings, even if the defendant acts without a commercial purpose or for private financial gain.

"The term 'financial gain' includes receipt, or expectation of receipt, of anything of value, including the receipt of other copyrighted works.'.

I'll just add for clarification that the reselling or giving of ORIGINAL physical discs is fine. Anything involving copies, physical or otherwise, is not.

Rolex is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2008 Nissan Titan, 1996 Jeep Wrangler

Re: 2012 Navigation Disc

Quote Originally Posted by SHANENATAS View Post
    Hey hey now, no need to ban, my apologies. what should be a law is what a rip off the nav discs are, and the navigation system in the caddy. They are a complete joke. Gm should get together with Pioneer, or atleast make the UI a little bit more user friendly, who came up with those icons? About those discs anyway. what I really meant was it is perfectly legal to make your own back up of anything you want. You bought it you have the right to back it up. We back up all of our Wii and Xbox games. MY buddy had 3 of the same games as me and his little boy thought it would be fun to warm them up in the microwave. So he was able to obtain a back up from someone he knew. I can see what a big deal it can be though, by the way S.O.P.A. and P.I.P.A. did not pass in case you were wondering. Way too many people protested, those bills gave the government wayyy to much authority over the entire planet. What the heck were they thinking, that they were going to pass? Once again, my bad and I will watch what and how I say touchy subjects.

----------

Now see there, the guy selling them on CL is breaking the law by selling them. If I back up a copy of my 2012 version and decide to post a link to it for all my good friends, I see no harm in that. It is differant over at avic411 I guess. But alot of us chipped in to buy the new disc, or in Pioneers case SDcards. So really it was all of ours.
    Keep telling yourself that sharing software among your friends (even without profiting) is legal and fine. It's theft, plain and simple. A European man was successfully extradited to the US to face prosecution just last month for providing links to copyrighted software on his website.....even though is was NOT profiting from the downloads.

I wonder how hard it would be for the FBI's cyber crime division to find this thread and the IP addresses of all parties discussing software theft? And the folks outside the US are safe from US federal prosecution...right? Oh wait, the US has successfully extradited people from Europe and Australia to the US to face prosecution.

I think the net act's penalties are pretty harsh, and you guys can argue that software "sharing" is a victimless crime. But you are all fools for openly discussing this kind of thing on a public forum. A simple google search will pop this thread right up for anybody to see.

Keep it up fellas.
    The above post is my 2 cents....nothing more.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.