Had to replace battery today...
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Had to replace battery today... in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Bought my car used and it had the wrong size battery in it (type 78). Well it finally died today ...
    R3TRO is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS

Had to replace battery today...

Bought my car used and it had the wrong size battery in it (type 78). Well it finally died today so I went to the dealer and got the correct AC Delco which set me back $206 (yikes!).

Question is, how do you install it without setting off the anti-theft? Both removing and putting in the new one the damn horn went off. I just hit unlock to to stop it, but the first time my keys were in the house so the neighbors got to listen to "the honk" until I could stop it. I tried first black wire. Tried fist red wire. Tried with keys in car. Nothing seemed to work. Anyone know?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Neutrocuted is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 N* 1SF HUD ACC F55 - 2008 CTS 3.6DI Premium

Re: Had to replace battery today...

When my battery was replaced they put a very small 12v battery with an ashtray plug into my cigarette lighter outlet, changed the battery and then pulled the small battery out. Nothing had to be reset. I bought an Interstate battery for $160 with tax & installed.

scott9001 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 sts N* 1965 coupe deville

well you have two options i cant recall my car right now but if you can see the altinator you can put 12 V to the power wire on there and ground the other end of the power source somewhere else. ( use like a boost pack or something and a couple jumper wires) or you can go pick yourself up a keep alive battery pack. dont quote me on this but my teacher is trade school told us the other day you can use a 9V battery and a cigarete lighter plug and hook the positives and negitives up... u can try it but i dont know if it will work.

KRSTS is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Crystal Red 2008 3.6 DI RWD

Quote Originally Posted by Neutrocuted View Post
    When my battery was replaced they put a very small 12v battery with an ashtray plug into my cigarette lighter outlet, changed the battery and then pulled the small battery out. Nothing had to be reset. I bought an Interstate battery for $160 with tax & installed.
    Good choice, I also replaced with an interstate two years ago for around $150 and have never regretted it.

Subsailor613 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS RWD NAV F55 N*1SF

Cool Re: Had to replace battery today...

Replaced mine, with doors closed,keys in my pocket,
    took the OLD battery to the store, came back about 45 min later,
    put in New Battery . No problem with the alarm at all !
    $ 166.00 at Auto Zone,with 6 year warranty !

MARSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS4

I did the same a few months ago with the Auto Zone 7-year battery. I think the key is to have the car locked when you are changing the battery out, which I did with no problem.

Greg00coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 05 STS

I replaced mine after 4 years with the OEM $105 at a delco parts house. New one is 3 years old. My last delco in the 2000 lasted 9 years and in my Corvette 10 years and it was still going. Just swapped it in and out no problems.

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

My OEM battery is 7 years old. I replaced my wife's a few months ago with an Optima 78. It's great & fits fine.

For anyone going this route, Optima has a varient of the 78 without top posts. It's not perfect but the clamp still holds it and the cover fits OK.

Loadtoad101 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS AWD

If your car is driveable, head down to your local parts store, buy a battery and have them put it in for you for free. They hook up a device that plugs into your cars code reader outlet that maintains power, they then swap out the main battery. I went to Autozone and bought their battery, took about 15 minutes for the guy to do the job.

Caddie Shak is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Hoop-D

Could you clip a pair of jumper cables from the car's battery clamps to the new battery, then lift the clamps off the old battery, swap in the new battery (still connected to the car via the jumper cables), and drop the clamps onto the battery terminals, and remove the jumper cables? The cables would probably get in the way a bit, or you could use a few clip-leads in series to give you the length you need with a lot less bulk. (Just keep the hot one from touching ground anywhere, maybe tape where the leads are connected in series.)

I don't know why it matters so much. A few honks, lock & unlock and you're done.

Since it's important to you, I'd visit your favorite auto parts store & buy a radio station saver that plugs into the lighter jack.

R3TRO is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS

Quote Originally Posted by EChas3 View Post
    For anyone going this route, Optima has a varient of the 78 without top posts. It's not perfect but the clamp still holds it and the cover fits OK.
    If my battery doesn't make it by the time I sell the car, this will probably be my next route. I thought a simple google would show me all the compatable batteries, was just kind of surprised that I couldn't find a single aftermarket battery!

Chuckj5 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): STS 2008

I had not driven my car for 10 days. I moved the car out of the garage, closed the door, moved the car that was behind me, got back in the STS, hit the go button and all I got was the dreaded "click". I put the battery on charge for a few hours on a 12 A charger. Got back into the car and drove 45 miles. The battery read 12.8 then went up to 14.5 then dropped to 13, these reading from the display. I stopped by AutoZone for a battery check, the tech said the meter indicated the battery was low and needed a charge and the it was to low to perform an alternator test. Anyway, they replaced the battery with one from thier stock, the stock number is H6-DLG, 730 CCA, 8 year warrenty, $124.99 + tax. (DuraLast - Gold) The battery was an exact copy of the Delco original. Perfect fit. I have had pretty good success with thier batteries, have them in all my cars (Ford & BMW) and my tractor.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.