05 STS V8 Northstar oil leaks
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, 05 STS V8 Northstar oil leaks in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; hey gang, have 05 sts northstar with 42k and the cam seals are leaking oil around the sensors and mechanic ...
    mythreesons is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): escalade

05 STS V8 Northstar oil leaks

hey gang, have 05 sts northstar with 42k and the cam seals are leaking oil around the sensors and mechanic says all northstars leak. they want 2100 dollars to fix. i am concerned with all this intrusion into the motor. any suggestions?

thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

chazglenn3 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 White Diamond STS N* 1SF RWD ACC/HUD

Re: 05 sts v8 northstar oil leaks

Well, my 2005 STS with the N* does not leak a single drop and I'm just coming up on 100K miles...I think the mechanic is making a general statement considering that oil leaks were common on the FWD N* engines (case half leaks).

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

My 2006 has 72,000 & doesn't leak a drop. It might burn an oz. every few months. I have reason to believe it was 'broken in' by a car lover.

My wife's 2007 STS spent its first year as a rental and was likely driven hard. It burns a bit but doesn't leak. It now has about 55,000 miles.

Opinions vary.

TimmyC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 99 SLS and Turbo 07 STS-V-Now back to Supercharged

Oil leaks through the cam sensors on my V too. It doesn't leak on to the ground, just enough to make the sensors wet. I am not worried about it.

dkozloski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

Your car isn't leaking too much oil until you can't get enough in it that you run out before you get to where you want to go.
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!

Greg00coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 05 STS

Had a 2000 N STS and now an 05. Neither leaked although the 00 used a qt between changes. The 05 uses no oil and no leaks.

1BadCadSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4

i had a few leaks valve covers oil pan front timing cover and rear cover
    all covered under my extended warranty (paid 700 for it the front magnetic shocks alone at 1500 covered that)

checked with other mechanics and all said that northstars are notorious for oil leaks. just wondering if i get it fix, will same thing happen in another 40k.

dkozloski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

Only the Northstars with leaks go to the people who fix Northstar leaks; therefore all the Northstars they see leak.
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!

Jesda is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): An endless stream of Sevilles.

149k. 10 years. Maybe its a miracle but I'm leak-free.
    But that isn't to say that they don't or can't.

What's involved that requires $2100 of service? Engine removal?

replacing front seals and gaskets and valve cover gaskets and cam seals o rings.

Robert8b is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 05 sts 4.6
    Quote Originally Posted by mythreesons
    replacing front seals and gaskets and valve cover gaskets and cam seals o rings.
    How much is this going to cost you.?

willysmooo is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS V-8 AWD ISG, Tuscany seats, per. cooling etc

Well...thats pretty low miles for an 05. What I will say from my experience is that when cars sit and dont get driven, things dry out...I've seen 2 of my grandfathers lexus ES350 leak because the import guy who fixed the leaks said "its better to drive the cars than let them sit, cause stuff will just dry out" just my input....obviously we all want as few miles as possible, but cars that dont get driven tend to have this kinda stuff happe(not saying you dont drive it)...mine has 105k, and not a drop. IF its just covers and gaskets, im pretty sure you can find a reputable mechanic who is capable and far more reasonable. I agree with the other guy who said the older FWD had leak issues sometimes, I have heard that...but ive talked to a few mechanics and from what I can tell the 05 and beyond N* dont have too many issues with oil leaks.

1BadCadSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4
    Mine has 50578

willysmooo is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS V-8 AWD ISG, Tuscany seats, per. cooling etc

Ya...obviously its kinda good/bad luck kinda thing....Could be also when the engine was put together things werent torqued exactly how they should of been ...maybe they started using different gaskets on 06 07 etc because 05's might of had some issues...but I think its just a matter of luck...I know 3 people at my office who have had 02,03,03 sts's and none of them have had the head gasket issues....not to mention on of the guys just sold his with 215k ...and the car was not taken care of at all...but he said it didnt leak at all. I have to believe you can find someone who knows engines and can replace for much cheaper...not to mention I wouldnt think it would happen again in 40k. I always take my car to the dealer for something techinical for sure...but any good mechanic who actually works on engines(not just brakes,shicks..etc) can replace gaskets etc...and probably way cheaper...parts probably arent expensive at all.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.