STS (07) HID kit installation: ignition and bulb start-up
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, STS (07) HID kit installation: ignition and bulb start-up in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I recently installed a Phillips kit and it works great. However, now that I have HID bulbs, start-up presents an ...
    MARSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS4

STS (07) HID kit installation: ignition and bulb start-up

I recently installed a Phillips kit and it works great. However, now that I have HID bulbs, start-up presents an additional issue with the bulb starting up twice upon ignition due to the initial voltage application and then when everything is momentarily shut down to start the ignition. I'm thinking that simply having two start-up events may mean that I possibly cutting my bulb life in half. I read that the STS with factory HID has a relay that delays the start-up of the lamp (10 second delay) until the ignition cycle is complete thus having only one start-up of the bulbs. I would think that I may be able to get the relay for the factory HID system, which may alleviate this problem.

Has anyone looked into this or done what I am thinking could be a solution for this??

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

nathanjax is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2007 esKONali

Re: STS (07) HID kit installation: ignition and bulb start-up

you need a relay harness. You can buy them or make them yourself...

Do a quick Google search for HID relay harness

Here's the first one that popped up...

http://www.blindinghid.com/relay-harness/

BaTu is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '05 STS4

A relay's not going to do it...

All those relays do is to isolate the power by using the factory wiring (that used to actually supply power to the stock bulbs) to energize the relays coil and act as the trigger. If the stock wire turns-on twice, so will the relay.

What your trying to do is to prevent the "Hot Strike" of a, second, power-up. I have factory HIDs and, you're right, they're doing something to prevent that. Maybe the Capacitor refereed to in the above link (#2 at the bottom)?

Why does the power drop & come back? Is it just that the voltage goes too low as the starter is cranked?

Quote Originally Posted by BaTu View Post
    A relay's not going to do it...

All those relays do is to isolate the power by using the factory wiring (that used to actually supply power to the stock bulbs) to energize the relays coil and act as the trigger. If the stock wire turns-on twice, so will the relay.

What your trying to do is to prevent the "Hot Strike" of a, second, power-up. I have factory HIDs and, you're right, they're doing something to prevent that. Maybe the Capacitor refereed to in the above link (#2 at the bottom)?

Why does the power drop & come back? Is it just that the voltage goes too low as the starter is cranked?
    Yes, it's the voltage when cranked. A relay wired up properly will stop this from happening. The factory headlight wire will be the turn on wire for the relay to put a constant 12 volts to the ballast to keep this from happening. The relay won't have low power when cranked. It take a full 12 volts to turn on the relay, so the power would either be on or off.

BaTu is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '05 STS4

So, the power doesn't actually Stop? It's just that the voltage in the entire system drops below threshold the ballast can tolerate?

Really? This is with a good battery? I can't imagine it's that significant a drop. Is the ballast just that sensitive then?

Hey, thanks for all the info. I agree that there is a voltage droop to allow for the ignition cycle, but it is just long enough for the ballast to have to strike twice. I was thinking that I could use a delay relay that would work like the factory installed did, but I'm sure that the extra circuit in the fuse/relay box is not there and won't accomodate the extra blade from the delay relay. I researched on the web and found a site that sells the entire harness with a 10-second delay relay that should work.

Quote Originally Posted by MARSTS View Post
    Hey, thanks for all the info. I agree that there is a voltage droop to allow for the ignition cycle, but it is just long enough for the ballast to have to strike twice. I was thinking that I could use a delay relay that would work like the factory installed did, but I'm sure that the extra circuit in the fuse/relay box is not there and won't accomodate the extra blade from the delay relay. I researched on the web and found a site that sells the entire harness with a 10-second delay relay that should work.
    Cool. Good luck. Let us knwo how it works out in case other people have this problem in the future

Just to let everyone know, I purchased the standard relay harness for this purpose including the relay delay. After about a month everything is working great. The delay is about 13 seconds which is not too bad. I can really tell the difference from the original start up sequence. By the way, do not waste your money on the capacitor that most will try to sell you. This is meant to "trick" the circuit that monitors the headlamp consuming 55 watts for the halogen bulb. I have never had a code or problem with the aftermarket HIDs. You can easily Google HID harnesses for this purpose and you will find 1 particular realy that everyone seems to use for this. Thanks to all who replied.

Psljuan is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Sts

I installed HID lights on my 2007 STS, for both low and high,and was able to tuck the digital ballasts inside of the housing, so there was no drilling or holes to silicone. I ran the digital ballasts, so I was able to put them all inside of the actual housing. I got them from http://www.prostreetlighting.com/

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.