Rainsense or Not?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Rainsense or Not? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; The spec sheet for my 2010 sts, states that I have the rain sense, but if I do have it, ...
    erichthecatt is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CADILLAC STS 1SC

Rainsense or Not?

The spec sheet for my 2010 sts, states that I have the rain sense, but if I do have it, it doesnt work. My car has the 1sc, y41. I have the lane departure warning, and the auto dimming headlights. So with all the electronics I have up around the mirror, and cant tell if I really have the rainsense or not. I want to take it to the dealer next week, but id like to make sure my car is really equipped with it. Can anyone describe the control module with all the other components around in that area. Ive tried every possible way to activate the rainsense but nothing works. Im assuming that its activated by having the wiper lever in the off position, and the intermittent switch up one notch. Thanks for any help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

MacMuse is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS N* 1SE
    Lever one up from off position activates Rainsense.

I leave mine in that position, with the intermittent control on the lowest setting, at all times and in any weather. I get a dry wipe about once a month if I hit a hard bump, but otherwise they don't budge unless it starts raining. I love it.

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

Re: Rainsense or Not?

^^^ But do you ever see the yellow DRL's, or just the headlights?

The sensor on 2006 & 7 models is right of the mirror, out of the view of the driver.

MacMuse is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS N* 1SE
    Quote Originally Posted by EChas3 View Post
    ^^^ But do you ever see the yellow DRL's, or just the headlights?
    hate the yellow DRL's, they seem to focus the attention to the relatively dark grill area (white car). I prefer just the white lights. I cringe when I see a white C/D/STS coming at me with the yellow DRL's. Just a personal preference for me.

chazglenn3 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 White Diamond STS N* 1SF RWD ACC/HUD

I'm sure his/her headlights are on all the time. Not that it is a bad thing, but I wouldn't want to cause my HID's to fail prematurely.

Opinions vary!

ddalder is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS-4 N* 1SG

If you have lane departure warning, the RainSense module will be under the same cover that encloses the lane departure camera. It's kind of hard to see through the glass. You never mentioned what it is that makes you believe it doesn't work.

Cadjiek is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 XTS 2009 CTS AWD

Put them in the rainsense position and spray your windshield with a garden hose. They should come on.

Re: Rainsense or Not, and whiplash cruise

Ive tried leaving the wiper selector up one notch, but the wipers will work all the time, on intermittent. Dry or wet. Ive tried putting the intermittent on the longest delay, selector up one notch, hosing the windshield, and it makes no difference. It just working off the timer. So I guess its something defective here. Hopefully the dealer will have a clue as to what to do.

Also...... on my 2010 sts.... V6 when im using the cruise, and going up an inline and loose a few miles per hour, the cruise system "guns" the engine until the set mph is reached. ive never had a car do this on cruise. Other cars have always been smooth and steady acceleration. Is this normal on the sts? So many odd ball things on this v6, compared to the V8 northstars ive had. But i love the fuel mileage. 26.5 to 31 hwy.

Quote Originally Posted by ddalder View Post
    If you have lane departure warning, the RainSense module will be under the same cover that encloses the lane departure camera. It's kind of hard to see through the glass. You never mentioned what it is that makes you believe it doesn't work.

KRSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Crystal Red 2008 3.6 DI RWD

26.5 to 31 hwy HUH? What do you do drive 50 MPH all the time?

nathanjax is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2007 esKONali

Quote Originally Posted by KRSTS View Post
    26.5 to 31 hwy HUH? What do you do drive 50 MPH all the time?

Or just never go above 2000rpms... lol

I usally drive the speed limit. 31 was on a two lane road with a speed limit if 55, and was running 58. I have achieved that on flat runs at 65-70.
    Recently returned from a trip from California up to the Oregon coast, and averaged 26.5 to 28 at fill ups. Speed limit ranged from 55 to 70. Now thats with alot of constant speed limit changes in oregon. I tend to wonder if thats to aid in ticket writing. Love that heads up speed limit warning that changes from green to red

Sounds to me like the Rainsense is broken. They will operate as a normal intermittant when the system fails self test.

Sounds like the cruise needs work, too.

mrau is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): STS

The 2010 STS does not have Rainsense wipers. Not sure why they removed them, because they always worked well on other cars I've had. It is one of those things I really miss on those wet days when I get lots of spray from passing cars.

My mpg is great also with the V-6....25 -26 mpg on my last few tanks.

My cruise has gunned it a few times up hill when I first set it, but mostly it is pretty smooth.

ddalder is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS-4 N* 1SG

Quote Originally Posted by mrau View Post
    The 2010 STS does not have Rainsense wipers. Not sure why they removed them, because they always worked well on other cars I've had. It is one of those things I really miss on those wet days when I get lots of spray from passing cars.
    I was just noticing they removed the Rainsense II section from the Owner's Manual. Undoubtedly GM finding ways to cut production costs again. In my Bonneville, the 2000 had courtesy lights in the doors. Gone for 2001. In 00-01 there was a key lock in both front doors... gone in 02 (now only in one door) and in 00-03 there was a locking fuel door with a hangar for the gas cap... gone in 04. They seem to be great when it comes to chipping away little things most people may not notice.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.