Battery Voltage When Cruising
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Battery Voltage When Cruising in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I was wondering what other people are reading for battery voltage when cruising. I will start off around 13.9V, and ...
    orange57 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS Northstar RWD

Battery Voltage When Cruising

I was wondering what other people are reading for battery voltage when cruising. I will start off around 13.9V, and then it will slowly drop off after about 10-15 miles to around 12.8-13.0V. To me this seems a little low for running. Could this be a sign of an alternator/voltage regulator or the battery on it's way out?

Thanks,

matt

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

dkozloski is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

Re: Battery Voltage When Cruising

What you see is a voltage regulator compensating for the rise in temperature of the engine compartment and the battery becoming fully charged after the discharge of the last start; in other words it's completely normal.
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!

C&C
    C&C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac STS (2011)

As dk said, completely normal; this is actually saving a little gas (as the alternator isn't working as hard, after attaining battery full charge).

mckellyb is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS N*, 1SF, 123K mi.

+1 on the first two replies.

The last thing you want, for battery longevity, is to overcharge it. This boils off the water (electrolyte), and even if the battery has caps, 99.9% of people don't check it, anymore.

Also, FWIW, even 'sealed' batteries, unless it's an Optima or the like, has fill caps, they're just hidden under the MAINTENANCE FREE sticker. Peel that sucker back, and check the level every few months. Distilled water ONLY.

Also, while it's not a problem on these cars, if you have a problem with battery terminal corrosion, the white fluffy stuff, add about 1 ounce of mineral oil to each battery cell. I'm not pulling anyone's leg. This really does work. Something about the oil traps the acidic gas during charging. It does not prevent water from vaporizing, but it'll stay clean!

Mineral oil you can get at the drugstore. Also, if you have a vehicle still using R-12 refrigerant in the A/C, this is the oil used. Can't find R-12? You can use propane...yes, like what is in the camping stove bottles at the grocery store. No, it doesn't explode if you hit something, hard. BTDT, unfortunately.

The batteries in my wife an I's large motorhome are going on ten years old using desulfation methods (sounds like trickery, but it's not), and regular maintenance.

Flooded-cell batteries should, with proper attention, last until there is a physical failure. IOW, in ideal physical conditions...forever. Cracked cases, broken terminals, and loose internal plates happen when they get moved/shaken about (like in a vehicle). The OEM battery in my wife's RX300 lasted 8 years, but it, strangely enough, had caps on it. Eventually lost a plate, shorting one cell out. Still managed to hold enough of a charge to start it...barely.

Thanks for the replies guys.

I'm no stranger to adding water to my batteries living in the Arizona Desert. My last car, I had a battery last Just over eight years. When I took it in for a new battery the guy at autozone was amazed. He said he had never seen a battery that had run out of the 7year pro-rated warranty

mckellyb is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS N*, 1SF, 123K mi.

Cool!

It's like the ultimate 'recycling', getting more use than expected.

I know how it is out in the desert. Phoenix makes Vegas, where we lived for a few years, look temperate.

It's actually pretty nice here today, I think it's only going to be 104 ha ha

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.