Intake Manifold Bolts
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Intake Manifold Bolts in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Check to see if they are tight!!! 6 of 10 of mine were significantly loose. A 10 mm socket, wrench, ...
    mkmarsilio is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS V8, Corsa exhaust, Volant CAI, Elite 20"x9.5R,8.5F

Exclamation Intake Manifold Bolts

Check to see if they are tight!!! 6 of 10 of mine were significantly loose. A 10 mm socket, wrench, and extension. Each will be needed to get around the fuel rail at different angles.

Learned this by reading here
    AllWheelEric and AllWheelEric like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Subsailor613 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS 1SF N* RWD NAV F55

Re: Intake Manifold Bolts

also at 100 in/lbs.
    Good Luck

ddalder is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS-4 N* 1SG

Which engine are you talking about? The LH2 bolts should be 89 lb in. or 10 N.m but I can't speak for the V6.

mkmarsilio is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS V8, Corsa exhaust, Volant CAI, Elite 20"x9.5R,8.5F

Quote Originally Posted by ddalder View Post
    Which engine are you talking about? The LH2 bolts should be 89 lb in. or 10 N.m but I can't speak for the V6.
    Thanks for the information! I thought I was finished - I only thought to use the elbow torque-o-meter. As far as motors go I am a V8 RWD type guy...getting rarer these days. I don't know if I have the adapters on hand to step my torque wrench down to the drive that fits my metrics? I thought my project was complete, but maybe to the store.

There have been several members on the forum speak of loose intake manifold bolts so I decided to check mine tonight and 6/10 were loose. Some as much as one full turn before I hit the 10 N.m torque.

Since I was also doing a little work on my Bonneville, I decided to check it as well. I've got the LD8 engine in it (4.6L transverse mounted Northstar). It has about 111,000 km and I found every one of the 10 bolts was very loose. I initially made the assumption the torque spec was likely the same but when every one I checked seemed loose I checked the spec just to be sure. Nope, I wasn't overtightening! Hmmm, I wonder if this is a general Northstar problem or if it may be found on any GM engine with this style/type of manifold?

Dj Brady is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 N* STS4

just out of curiosity, are these headbolts "stretch" bolts, meaning, are they 'single use' bolts?

I believe you may be thinking of different bolts. I very much doubt these would be a stretch type bolt because the torque spec is so low. We're talking lb in., not lb ft. and to stretch, it would have to be an extremely soft alloy. Also, there is no mention in the FSM to use new bolts. Generally GM provides this when necessary.

Subsailor613 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS 1SF N* RWD NAV F55

Cool Re: Intake Manifold Bolts

More on this: After reading about this on here, I headed down to my high school buddy's place about 150 Miles from home.
    I used 8 gal to get there, I tightened the bolts to 100 In Lbs, found ALL of them loose about 1 full turn, couldn't do the #1 or #2
    bolt in the sequence as there is a pressure switch type thing facing down toward the bolt, so used a open end, and did the best
    I could. Some of the indications: I noticed when pressing down lightly on the gas, it used to convert automatically from 5th (OD) to 4th gear.
    before the tightening, it didn't respond well, and I blamed my less than 26 MPG on rear tires, now it converts GREAT, and I only used
    6.5 Gals coming home, and the MPG avg, hit 26.6, which I have NOT seen in a long time. The transmission downshifting, usually has
    what they call a modulator, used to be (Vacuum controlled), this one also must be, as it works MUCH better now !
    Thanks to all who supplied the Correct info on this item, and helped me get this done.
    I wanted to use LOck tite on the bolts. You would have to pull the fuel racks to do this, I NEVER have done this, so I didn't do it.
    BTW, I ONLY have 45K miles on this, you would think they are NOT loose at this point, Murphy's law got me again !

Quote Originally Posted by Subsailor613 View Post
    More on this: After reading about this on here, I headed down to my high school buddy's place about 150 Miles from home.
    I used 8 gal to get there, I tightened the bolts to 100 In Lbs, found ALL of them loose about 1 full turn, couldn't do the #1 or #2
    bolt in the sequence as there is a pressure switch type thing facing down toward the bolt, so used a open end, and did the best
    I could. Some of the indications: I noticed when pressing down lightly on the gas, it used to convert automatically from 5th (OD) to 4th gear.
    before the tightening, it didn't respond well, and I blamed my less than 26 MPG on rear tires, now it converts GREAT, and I only used
    6.5 Gals coming home, and the MPG avg, hit 26.6, which I have NOT seen in a long time. The transmission downshifting, usually has
    what they call a modulator, used to be (Vacuum controlled), this one also must be, as it works MUCH better now !
    Thanks to all who supplied the Correct info on this item, and helped me get this done.
    I wanted to use LOck tite on the bolts. You would have to pull the fuel racks to do this, I NEVER have done this, so I didn't do it.

That's a good bit of information and very inspirational! My average is under 20mpg as well. Is there a step by step to gain access to the intake bolts somewhere on here?

1BadCadSTS is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4

pull the beauty cover...

heh.. as soon as I hit enter, It dawned on me that the bolts would be readily available under the cover..
    hunting the sequence now.

I believe you may be thinking of different bolts. I very much doubt these would be a stretch type bolt because the torque spec is so low. We're talking lb in., not lb ft. and to stretch, it would have to be an extremely soft alloy. Also, there is no mention in the FSM to use new bolts. Generally GM provides this when necessary.
    I mean to address this post earlier and got sidetracked. You're correct. I was thinking of head bolts. Oops

I can't comment on a change in fuel economy just yet as I haven't driven enough since tightening the bolts to know. I can say that the first time I drive each day, or after the car has sat for several hours and cooled off, the car hesitates a little as I accelerate and I need to back off a little. Since tightening the intake manifold bolts, this appears to be resolved. I've also noticed a smoother, more powerful acceleration anytime I'm driving. Overall I'm happy with the results of a very simple maintenance procedure.

Quote Originally Posted by Dj Brady View Post
    heh.. as soon as I hit enter, It dawned on me that the bolts would be readily available under the cover..
    hunting the sequence now.
    This might be what you're looking for...

Close, but I park my car with the nose to the south.
    You got one of those?

This might be what you're looking for...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.