Intake Manifold Bolts - Page 5
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Intake Manifold Bolts in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally Posted by Lifer Its only been a few days, but I have had a noticeable improvement in gas mileage. ...
    Lifer is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac STS 1SG, 2001 Cadillac Eldorado ETC

Re: Intake Manifold Bolts

Quote Originally Posted by Lifer View Post
    Its only been a few days, but I have had a noticeable improvement in gas mileage. It was around 13.5 average for city - suburb driving, but now I am around 19.5. Next would be a road trip. My last on in August averaged 21 miles to the gallon.
    I checked mine yesterday. Two were loose again. Only 3,000 miles. Seems to be a continuing issue.

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

Loctite Purple?

aliskerov is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac STS

^ Might be a good idea. I'd suggest just tightening them for now to make it easy on yourself, cause it'll be hard/impossible to get all the bolts out without removing the fuel rail. Then, down the road, if you find them to be loose again, then you hit em with the loctite.

update: took my first 100-mile highway trip following this procedure and got up to 23 mpg avg, up from the usual 21. I like!

Pjazz is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS 1SG V8 RWD

My torque wrench lowest setting was 15NM I used it anyway. Saw my MPG increase almost 4 gallons.

DitkaFan is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 08 STS-4 V6DI
    Has anyone still in warranty approached their dealer about this issue? It seems pretty unacceptable that these bolts keep coming loose?

CTBB is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS N* 1SF

"It's def the bolt from home depot -"
    BIG MISTAKE using any of the cheap Chinese junk hardware from HD in a motor application, or any application that matters. Bolts like this are graded, and one should always make sure to replace them with the correct grade hardware. Check this out. http://www.boltdepot.com/fastener-in...Materials.aspx

Glenn

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

or get them from your nearest GM dealer ... they're only $2-$3 each
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

CTBB is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS N* 1SF

Quote Originally Posted by RippyPartsDept View Post
    or get them from your nearest GM dealer ... they're only $2-$3 each
    Matter of fact, I wasn't recommending them as a supplier, but for reference to my statement about hardware/bolt grading. Guess you didn't check the link?

Glenn

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

ah yeah i see... definitely a good link to have bookmarked
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

When my wife's car was in for some other service, the dealer didn't charge for tightening them. They were surprised she asked them to check them and found them loose! She did take them brownies once!

The symptom was occasional rough idle when cold (backing out of garage). It never lit idiot lights or set codes but hasn't done it since.

DitkaFan is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 08 STS-4 V6DI
    I was looking at purchasing an 09 STS n* from my local dealership. I asked for a double check of the intake bolts and got the following response... This seems like a sign to walk away, thoughts?
    "Regarding the loose intake bolt issue you mentioned, each of our cars goes through an intensive 125-point inspection before hitting our sales lot. Also, known issues to a make and model are specifically examined by our mechanics as part of the inspection/re-conditioning process. We therefore can't ask them to re-check something that's already been inspected"

I wouldn't let something so simple dampen my interest. I'd be detting a CPO warranty, anyway. If it runs well on test drives, you're covered.

They are arrogant, though. You might be wise to walk away.

Grunder is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS 3.6DI AWD

2008 STS4 V6 DI
    I've read and re-read this thread, and so far the definitive answer to the question "does this also pertain to the V6 DI engine" has not been answered. Does anyone have the correct answer for this?

Is it just as easy to check as the N*, or is there more to it on the V6. Should it/can it be done anyway, just because? It seems that some of the same symptoms that have been listed throughout this thread are plaguing our V6, that's why I'm asking....

Thanks,
    John

ddalder is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS-4 N* 1SG

Quote Originally Posted by DitkaFan View Post
    "Regarding the loose intake bolt issue you mentioned, each of our cars goes through an intensive 125-point inspection before hitting our sales lot. Also, known issues to a make and model are specifically examined by our mechanics as part of the inspection/re-conditioning process. We therefore can't ask them to re-check something that's already been inspected"
    Okay, $50.00 to the first person who can provide me with a legit pre-sales used car mechanical inspection form that states to check the torque on various engine bolts. This has to be one of the most ridiculous things I've heard from a used car salesman. If this was truly the case (that this has now been added to the 125 point inspection), I'd expect to have seen a service bulletin from GM about this ongoing issue. If you're happy with the car and it's in good shape, I don't know that I'd walk away if the price was right. This isn't necessarily a reflection on the service department either. But, this is one reason the consumer has to do their homework and be smarter than the salesman.

The CPO Checklist includes both a fuel system check and vaccum system check.CPO Checklist.JPG

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.