Intake Manifold Bolts - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Intake Manifold Bolts in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally Posted by MacMuse I swear I might stick this thread to the first page. I wholeheartedly encourage making this ...
    amgqmp1 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS V8

Re: Intake Manifold Bolts

Quote Originally Posted by MacMuse View Post
    I swear I might stick this thread to the first page.
    I wholeheartedly encourage making this post sticky.

I'm fresh in from a test drive after tightening the bolts on my '05 w/ 35,460mi. Most of mine were fairly loose. The car runs/sounds/feels like it should now.

aliskerov is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac STS

What a nightmare! I always knew better then not using a torque wrench, but couldn't fit 3/8 drivers under the fuel rale, so was forced to hand tighten with a 1/4 set. Tightened every one up...took aout 10 minutes....until....the last bolt snaps in 2... What now? Had to take the fuel line off and get the entire manifold out, drill the bolt piece and then unwind it out. Finally done...and the replacement bolt I had from the hardware store snaps... this time with the use of a torque wrench (the bolt quality in this country it steadily declining btw). Had to take the manifold off again to drill that one out. ended up getting another bolt and didn't even bolt it down to spec like the stock ones cause I am not doing that again. About to order a stock bolt online, replace it once it arrives (specifically mounted the temporary one on the end). Lesson: A) never skip on the torque wrench B) do it once and do it right C)when it rains it pours. Cheers

scott9001 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 sts N* 1965 coupe deville

you should not be breaking these bolts at these specs are you surer your not doing somethign wrong? if your not i would recomend replacing all of the bolts!

Nah, you misunderstood. The stock bolt broke because I overtightened it by not using a torque wrench. The one I replaced it with was the same spec but ne from a hardware store, I assume it was a softer metal; one swift turn with the torque wrench and the bolt spun in 2. I'll see if they have a stronger bolt tomorrow; or not, the new replacement, though not torqued to spec is pretty damn tight. I'm not taking my chances again, but I think it's pretty good.

ddalder is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS-4 N* 1SG

Wow, you did tighten to 89 lb-in (7.4 lb-ft), correct? You must have cranked on the original one pretty good! There should be no question at all that a bolt made from a softer alloy won't snap within this range.

so your saying that the softer alloy bolt should be or should not be snapping? Called the dealer, they're getting me a new bolt (part # 11588352 btw) by tomorrow for $3.68 + tax. Not bad. The temporary replacement bolt seems to be holding up this time around, though not torqued all the way to spec (was a it worried it might break from the manifold pressure once the engine starts running). So, all-in-all, it was a good experience. I've done alot of mechanical stuff before but never had to remove intake manifolds or fuel lines/injectors before, never mind drilling bolts out of the heads. If I had to do it again - recommend to those considering checking these bolts - just go to home depot or online and get the proper sockets to fit under the fuel rail and use a torque wrench, dont wing t with a wrench; taking the entire manifold off, drilling the bolt remnants out, and then worrying about dirt/metal shavings in the intake ports of the heads is NOT fun. As a side note, it's also important to keep the pressure of the manifold bolts even so as to not buckle the sides under pressure, which may result in uneven gasket contact, at which point you might as well have loose bolts - def use a torque wrench.

ddalder is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS-4 N* 1SG

Even if you had a bolt made of a softer alloy, the torque spec is so light on these I find it difficult to think you'd snap one. That's why I was wondering if you inadvertently tightened it to Lb-Ft instead of Lb-In? Your torque wrench is probably not ideal either. I have a 1/4" drive and everything went very smoothly.

I have a lb-ft wrench, but it was set to 8. It was instant. No idea why. I've stripped and broken my share of bolts, and the oem one held on before it gave in (it just didn't seem as tight as the others and then after a turn and a half it simply snapped.). This one snapped without any hesitation. It was almost comedic, except for the one it snapped on...lol

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

How old is your torque wrench? Have you ever had it calibrated?

I have a buddy that raced NHRA K Stocks. Once he had an 'expert' friend build him a motor promising 4/10's under the index (nationally competitive at the time). On his fifth run it blew. A lot of that 'expert's' motors blew that Summer. My bud checked what was left of his engine and one other from the same builder and found many nuts/bolts improperly torqued.

One bad torque wrench cost thousands.
    Smiling Jack and Smiling Jack like this.

Pjazz is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS 1SG V8 RWD

Anyone else take it to the dealer? I've got a torque wrench but would preffer to use my cpo. On the other hand I don't want to deal with them blowing me off because they think I don't know what I'm talking about. You'd think there was a service bulletin on this.

scott9001 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 sts N* 1965 coupe deville

u can do it man its not a big deal dont bother taking it back to the dealer unless your really hesitant on doing this

MacMuse is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS N* 1SE
    I'm really hesitant, don't have a torque wrench, and I couldn't talk the dealer into checking it as an issue.

I didn't mean to scare people, just notify them of the possibilities. A torque wrench can be found at walmart/home depot/sears chain store for relatively cheap. I have a Husky wrench that's a year old. Hasn't been used enough to miscalibrate. It's def the bolt from home depot - for whatever reason some of them are very fragile/crappy; I've found this out over the years of doing projects around the house (the second replacement didn't break). Its a mix of bad bolt and murphies law, really, just had to happened after going through the trouble of taking everything apart... The OEM bolt weighs twice as much as the one that broke did. It's definitely worth doing though, the car seems a bit more aggressive on acceleration and the fuel economy is more hesitant to drop from city driving then t used to be. Just be more careful - tends to save time lol

jonnysos11 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS N*

Bump for a useful thread. i had cured a lot of issues with my beauty by doing a simple tighten up. i saw improved gas mileage for the record

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

High quality tools pay for themselves. Buy a Walmart torque wrench at your own risk. It's one tool that can 'break' and you might not notice until it's too late.
    scott9001 and scott9001 like this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.