How to fix or clear my headlights - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree7Likes
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, How to fix or clear my headlights in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I would guess you just didnt get everywhere on the one headlight. Take it back off, take BOTH covers off ...
    LAC_STS is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): STS

Re: How to fix or clear my headlights

I would guess you just didnt get everywhere on the one headlight. Take it back off, take BOTH covers off and seal the crap out of it. I had to redo mine once too.

Also the seal between the headlight lens and headlight housing can go bad. Its harder to seal but if you look at it very closely you should be able to see where it is leaking. then you can seal it too. you can seal that seal just like the rear dust covers but you have to be more careful so you cant see it when your done.

Frikiton is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I might take it to a new guy to see what he says ..

02603sec is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): STS 1SF Black V8 2006

Hi I had the condensation problem on my front headlights for STS V8 1SF. It took only a few minutes to pull the bumper off. Pulled out the plastic headlamp unit. cleaned it. the rubber gaskets in both my units were collapsed. continued to clean and dry, there is an air breather-filter housing where the gaskets were suspect. I recall the spongelike filter was also wet. Reinstalled. no probs for 2 years, and mine sits outside north of Phila.

Lifer is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac STS 1SG, 2001 Cadillac Eldorado ETC

Agree with 02603sec. I pulled the headlight (three times, so I can do it fast now) and the last time dried it out, replaced the door gaskets on both door, sealed everything with sealer from a tube, reinstalled, and she has stayed dry. Its an outdoors car, so it gets all the weather, dry, wet, and hail. The only bad area is the top of the plastic shell, the part near the top of the fender is getting some fade and need some sanding, buffing, and sealing.

fnelson10 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 sts4 awd v6

Why is this not covered by GM if the headlight has not been modified? I have a 2011 STS and the right front headlight shows this same issue.

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

Warranty only covers 'excessive moisture' in headlights, not condensation. An STS purchased as 'new' in the US after July 14, 2010 now having less than 48,000 miles should be covered. The owner may need a bit of pleasant persistence to convince a dealer service manager that their issue is excessive.

Getting mad usually doesn't help; just don't accept 'No' for an answer. Reasonable people can usually find ways to solve problems reasonably.

I know CPO terms changed after April 2009. Prior to that, it was incredible, even including bulbs & batteries out to 6 years & 100k.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by fnelson10 View Post
    Why is this not covered by GM if the headlight has not been modified? I have a 2011 STS and the right front headlight shows this same issue.
    Fnelson10,

I understand your frustration with the situation and I apologize for any inconvenience this has caused. I can’t guarantee anything but I would be happy to look into this further and contact your dealership on your behalf. If this is something you are interested in please send me a private message with your VIN, current mileage, contact information and your preferred dealership. I hope to hear from you soon.

Katie O.
    Cadillac Customer Care

08SRX is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2008 SRX Sport Pkg

It is almost impossible to reseal units when they have a leak, because you would need to take them apart completely and then reseal. There is substantial risk in doing this. The easiest and (very ) effective way to remove water issues from the headlamp units is as follows:
    1. remove the lamp units from the vehicle
    2. drill two (not just one) tiny holes in the bottom of the lamp housing. Be careful to choose a spot so that you do not hit internal components like lenses, bulbs etc.
    3. it is best to drill at a slant, with the bottom of the hole farthest away from the front.

Unlike other comments here - this WILL solve the problem!

1BadCadSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4
    Quote Originally Posted by 08SRX
    It is almost impossible to reseal units when they have a leak, because you would need to take them apart completely and then reseal. There is substantial risk in doing this. The easiest and (very ) effective way to remove water issues from the headlamp units is as follows:
    1. remove the lamp units from the vehicle
    2. drill two (not just one) tiny holes in the bottom of the lamp housing. Be careful to choose a spot so that you do not hit internal components like lenses, bulbs etc.
    3. it is best to drill at a slant, with the bottom of the hole farthest away from the front.

Unlike other comments here - this WILL solve the problem!
    Wrong. It just allows water another entry point.

We have sealed units drilling holes is a major mistake. Reseal it replace the foam gaskets and throw in a few silica packets.

Job done.
    Ludacrisvp likes this.

framedforlife is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 Cadillac STS 3.6L V6 DI 1SB, Previous 2007 Cadillac CTS

you can just buy 2 new housings and do it that way
    Ludacrisvp likes this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.