Another Headlight Question...
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Another Headlight Question... in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Does anyone know the part number(s) for the foam gasket seals used on the headlights? I have a bit of ...
    1_bad_cad is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): STS

Another Headlight Question...

Does anyone know the part number(s) for the foam gasket seals used on the headlights? I have a bit of a condensation problem on my driver side headlight after I changed the small inner bulb. The seal lost its shape and now it doesn't fit in properly so I need a new one. Does anyone know if they sell just the seals or am I going to have to use some sort of silicone sealer? Thanks in advance

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

ddalder is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS-4 N* 1SG

Re: Another Headlight Question...

If it's the ones I think you're talking about, I don't think you're going to find foam seals. The headlamp assemblies aren't a "serviceable" item (except for replacing the bulbs). Is it the seal on the access cover?

Yea, its the seal on the access cover on the side of the headlamp closer to the grill. Not the one on the rear of the headlamp. I found out that they sell the actual access covers but I am not sure if they would come with the seals already in them or if I could just buy the seals themself.

I'm willing to bet that if you buy the access cover you'll get the seal but for this type of part, I'd be very surprised if you could by the seal separately. Rippy could probably confirm for sure though.

BaTu is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '05 STS4

I don't think that's where your water is getting in though....

The back of the housings are pretty dry, think about it,,, water isn't really flowing back there.

The fault in leaking housings is the seal between the clear "lens" and the body of the housing itself. That Black, silicone like, seal is what's failed I'm sure (at least it where I, and Many here, have resealed to cure the problem).

Search "condensation" here for all the posts on this....

So should I take the black seal off and reseal with a silcone sealer or do I just seal around whats already there?

BaTu is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '05 STS4

Again, LOTS of posts on this with peoples experience doing this can be found using the SEARCH function

But, no, just resealing the clear portion by applying sealant on top of what's already there. Just going around the entire perimeter should do it.

Again, if I found the specific answers to my specific questions then I wouldn't have had to make a new thread. But I got it done and hopefully it works. Thanks for your help.

galaxy1000 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 STS V6 Lux

FYI I had a similar problem and it WAS from the foam gasket on the access panel, resealed the panels with silicone and the problem was solved.

In this case, regardless of where the moisture is getting in, since the seal on the cover no longer fits correctly it should be replaced. My preferred choice would be cover replacement, not silicone. This makes it easier the next time the bulb must be replaced. Just my thoughts...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.