2006 STS Vehicle Personalization System Error! No chimes,radio, etc.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, 2006 STS Vehicle Personalization System Error! No chimes,radio, etc. in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hello there i am new to the site, just bought a 2006 sts with the NAV and bose soundsystem. Everything ...
    s_beyers is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS

2006 STS Vehicle Personalization System Error! No chimes,radio, etc.

Hello there i am new to the site, just bought a 2006 sts with the NAV and bose soundsystem. Everything was working good and all of a sudden i lost my radio while driving... just the sound. the nav and radio still work, also lost all chimes. Also now it says vehicle personalization system error when pushing the config button on the radio. I have checked all fuses, disconnected the battery and touched the cables together to drain circuits. went to a GM dealer, not a specific cadillac dealer and they scanned it and gave me 2 error codes U2103 and U2100 both having something to do with CAN-Bus not communicating. They tell me i need a whole new NAV/radio $1500 bucks aprox. I have a very hard time believing this since the radio will still tune in a station, the cd player will still play a cd (no sound) and the NAV/GPS still work fine. I have read as much as possible and have seen this post in older posts but with no real answer. Please help!! if anyone has had this problem or could lead me in the right direction id greatly appreciate it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

Re: 2006 STS Vehicle Personalization System Error! No chimes,radio, etc.

Have you tried the system reset?

Disconnect positive battery cable & then the negative cable. Touch them together for a bit and reconnect in reverse order. It helps a lot of weird issues.

My procedure is a bit more work than may be required, but it is as safe as it gets. You may have to recalibrate the 'up' window positions. Nothing else should be lost.

chazglenn3 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 White Diamond STS N* 1SF RWD ACC/HUD

If you do need to replace the head unit, they can be had on eBay in the $650 range. You could also see if the dealer can update the nav system firmware. It would probably have to be a Cadillac dealer, though.

I have tried touching the battery cables together that didn't work. I tried the reset on the nav screen and that didn't work. How do I re program the "up" windows like you were saying?

MacMuse is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS N* 1SE

Could also be a wire harness problem. You could try popping off the cover around the center stack and disconnect/reconnect the head unit at the harness. Check out the 'official lockpick' thread here in the STS area for a link to a video showing how to access this area.

If you end up replacing the head unit on your own, be aware that the built-in security locks out a changed head unit until a 'Tech Tool II' (usually found just at GM service shops) is used to retrain the car/head unit link.

ahh, makes one yearn for the old days when a head unit just needed power and electrical paths to speakers. Now it's a full computer system talking to the car through an internal computer network.

<begin retina scan>....<approved, permission to change channels granted>

Quote Originally Posted by s_beyers View Post
    I have tried touching the battery cables together that didn't work. I tried the reset on the nav screen and that didn't work. How do I re program the "up" windows like you were saying?
    Programming the Power Windows
    If the battery on your vehicle has been recharged,
    disconnected, or is not working, you will need to
    reprogram each window for the express-up feature
    to work.
    To program each window, follow these steps:
    1. With the ignition on or in ACC, or while RAP is
    active, close all doors.
    2. Press and hold the power window switch until the
    window has fully opened.
    3. Continue holding the switch for approximately
    two seconds.
    4. Pull up the power window switch until the window is
    fully closed.
    The window is now programmed. Repeat the process
    for all windows.

ddalder is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS-4 N* 1SG

Did they give you any further information about the DTC U2100 (Symptom code - 00, 71 or 72)?

DTC U2103 is an indication that there are fewer modules found on the data bus that the car believes there should be. This doesn't necessarily mean the problem is with the radio, but it does seem a little suspect. So just to confirm, there is nothing else in the car malfunctioning (other than needing to relearn window positions)? Personalization settings are made through the radio, however not all are actually stored there.

Are there any non-GM accessories or modifications to the vehicle that you are aware of?

Base on the information you've provided, it could also be the amplifier. This component is mounted on the trunk on the left side behind the trim panel. It would be interesting to know if their scan tool was able to communicate with the amp or not. The codes they gave you are not "module specific". Several modules can cause these codes.

i just went and did the window relearn process, didn't change or fix anything.. to be honest i don't think i even needed to do that process for the auto up/down windows to work properly and the battery has been disconnected and circuits drained multiple time in this past week while trying to troubleshoot this problem.

I also was curious about the amp so i pulled it off and checked to make sure there was power going to it from the wire harness and there was, thats all i can confirm because the amp has no lights or anything telling me it is turned on.

i have a feeling i am not going to be able to figure this one out and might have to bite the bullet and bring it to a cadillac dealer, but if they opt to just replace the radio/nav i don't think that will fix it, i think it is something else causing this error.

ddalder is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS-4 N* 1SG

Without a scan tool and/or some other diagnostic aids you will have a tough time with this. One of the faults relates to a data bus problem which could be either a module or wiring. Data bus wiring isn't something you want to mess with unless you know what you're up to. The high speed bus has some special properties (although if I recall, the amp only connects on the low speed side). Improper high speed bus wiring repairs will cause you a lot of grief. Modules will take tools and knowledge to properly diagnose.

dkozloski is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

Solid state electronics are very reliable. I doubt seriously that there was a component failure. Something is unplugged, loose, full of water or soda pop, or some other physical mishap. Maybe some maladroit previous owner was trying to perform some kind of mod. When you find it you will be amazed.
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!

well i have tried all i could and had to take it in to a Cadillac stealership, they also tell me that it is a problem in the nav/radio headunit and it will need to be replaced. I am pissed as anyone would be! i just bought this one owner cadillac with 60000 miles a month ago. I guess thats just my bad luck when you buy a car without a warranty.

thanks for you all your help. i hope thats the last thing that goes wrong with this car when i own it..

I still don't know if i believe them or not, i can't believe a head unit could be bad when the nav works perfectly and everything else works fine just no sound. If anyone else out that has or does ever seen this error "vehicle personalization system error" let me know what you did or what caused it for you.

thanks again

richric is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I have the same car same problem.... I haven't figured it out yet... What'd u end up doing to fix it?

I believe this will happen if the Nav cannot read the DVD while trying to write configuration changes to the various modules' EPROM's. You could try cleaning the DVD reader & disk. (If needed, only use radial rubbing motions on the disk; like cutting a pie)

DVD's do go bad over time and environmental conditions will accelerate that process. Regardless of the fine print, software license 'fair use' always includes the right to make a backup copy of the DVD and thereby preserve your right. I always run from that backup copy and keep the originals in a cool dark place, where they will age slowly.

Even if all you have is an old version DVD, try it. If it doesn't work either, your dealer may well be right. A system reset is a long-shot but before buying the replacement Nav, it is worth a try.

Good luck.

richric is offline Cadillac Owners Member

What'd you ever learn about the problem? I have the same car same trouble. How'd u fix it?

curtc is online now OCD - Obsessive Cadillac Disorder
    Automobile(s): White Diamond 06 STS V8 RWD 1SF F55 HUD/ACC NAV - 128k

The OP hasn't logged in since June of 2011, I doubt he'll be back to answer your question...
    Past Cadillac's

2004 CTS 3.6L - 2011-2012
    2001 Seville Touring Sedan - 2006-2011
    1995 Seville Touring Sedan - 2005-2006

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.