STS Rear
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, STS Rear in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Does anyone know whether the STS has the same rear axle as the CTS/CTS-V/SRX? My concern is the poor perfomance ...
    benh is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS-V

STS Rear

Does anyone know whether the STS has the same rear axle as the CTS/CTS-V/SRX? My concern is the poor perfomance of these rears over time - see the CTS-V posts with respect to Service Bulletin that applies to CTS/CTS-V/SRX.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

tdogg5184 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS, 2009 Escalade ESV

Re: STS Rear

The issue you are refering to and I belive the main issue of the CTS-V rear end is the wheel hop. This is due to the suspension not being suffcient for the 400+ hp that the cts -v makes. Also that 6spd manual is alot harder on the rear than the autmatic would be. When you dump the clutch on a 400hp 400 ftlb motor you need a good setup in the rear to keep it together. I would not be concernd about it with the STS considering it has an slushy auto with 320hp northstar. If there was an issue i am sure they would resolve it before building it. But who knows for certain i guess only time will tell.

ktills45 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

No, he's talking about the rear end whine that CTS owners are going through. Caddy has a bulletin out regarding the problem, and alot have been replaced. In fact, I believe they have a new part number for the rear.

tdogg5184 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS, 2009 Escalade ESV

Oh, i was unaware of that, I hope they dont have that problem with the AWD one i plan on getting. Anyone have any info?

strindl is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by tdogg5184
    Oh, i was unaware of that, I hope they dont have that problem with the AWD one i plan on getting. Anyone have any info?
    Did people with the SRX AWD ever mention the rear differential whine as a problem? The AWD drivetrain from the SRX is what is used in the STS.

benh is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS-V

I was referring to the overall quality issues associated with all the Sigma based rears. I am not certain Caddy has chnaged from using the bad rears - the problem has been around since early in the 2004 model year on the CTS and has conitnued right up until and including the 2005 CTS/CTS-V/SRX. It almost seems that Caddy has modified an othewrwise generally reliable mundane part of the car with a new and unproven design (probably lighter in weight and more advanced to work with an independent rear suspension). This problem with the rear is what kept me from more seriously considering the CTS-V - I could deal with the wheel hop, but spending 50K for a car that has proven releiablity issues associated with a major component was a nonstarter.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.