This is right out of a movie... - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, This is right out of a movie... in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I find a lot of differences between my wife's (ex-Hertz) RWD 1SE and my AWD 1SG. But that is a ...
    EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

Re: This is right out of a movie...

I find a lot of differences between my wife's (ex-Hertz) RWD 1SE and my AWD 1SG. But that is a much bigger difference in trim level & setup.

I have to observe that the rental package rides softer but doesn't handle quite as well. It does have all the upgraded leather & wood trim, NAV, etc. than is normally more rare on the 1SE. For half MSRP at 1-year old, it has proved to be a good value. Her car had around 10,000 miles on it when she bought it in early 2008.

turnne is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac STS

Quote Originally Posted by EChas3 View Post
    I find a lot of differences between my wife's (ex-Hertz) RWD 1SE and my AWD 1SG. But that is a much bigger difference in trim level & setup.

I have to observe that the rental package rides softer but doesn't handle quite as well. It does have all the upgraded leather & wood trim, NAV, etc. than is normally more rare on the 1SE. For half MSRP at 1-year old, it has proved to be a good value. Her car had around 10,000 miles on it when she bought it in early 2008.
    I would imagine the typical Cadillac buyer would prefer the softer ride of the 1SE to the firmess( perhaps harshness) of the 1SG AWD

It seems they were going after the germans with the set up of the 1SG

I was driving the other day and was thinking what is this car lacking to have hit its targeted competition

I think the chassis needed to be more rigid maybe to handle the stiffness in the suspension..maybe more suspension travel..??

I am no engineer...but I would think that these guys could dis assemble one of the german and try to understand why they ride and drive the way they do...and frankly even from a basic level, without the need for $1000 each shocks

Its much better in that regard than the older bodystyle..but the car still makes some sounds and creaks over bumps that it should not when chasing german competition

The brakes also needed to be stepped up...the "performance brakes" IMO are not performance brakes. The steering is pretty good and light years ahead of the older car

Warren

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

mckellyb is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS N*, 1SF, 130K mi.

Woo-hoo!

Okay, the guy who has the white diamond 1SF, he's not in the hurry he intimated he was, which is cool, 'cause I'll be back in-town by Saturday.

Being he still owes on it, we're going to get a third-party release from the bank, and with a "significant" downpayment, we'll get the car, a bill-of-sale, and the title when it comes in. I'm cool with that. I'll be even cooler with it after I put it up on jack stands and roll around underneath for several minutes.

So, come my commute, Monday, I should have a new-to-me ride. Bitchin'! I hope the Bose system in there has the performance it indicates it should with the speaker setup it has. I love the idea of speakers in the tops of the seatbacks. Clever.

Also quite appealing is having an MP3-compatible 6-disc changer in the dash. I'm not certain there are six discs of songs I like... The way I ripped my CD collection, I manage to put about 125 songs on a disc, and 750 songs is a bunch.

Load it up one time, choose 'random', done...forever.

Looks like I'll shop for a Lock Pick. I want to be able to use my NAV while crawling along, or have my wife key in stuff while we're in-motion.

chazglenn3 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 White Diamond STS N* 1SF RWD ACC/HUD

Congrats! I had the same MP3 plan for my car until I got my XM radio activated. Now I'm hooked on it. Oh well, the MP3 is still a good backup. If you have a concert DVD or a CD recorded in DTS you will be blown away by the stereo system. I love to play The Eagles Hell Freezes Over DVD in my car. I have heard The Police have a good CD recorded in DTS...I'll have to find that one. I got my used lockpick yesterday. I will install it after my service appointment tomorrow.

Ooooh, yeah...a DVD full of MP3's. Just a plain ol' 4.7G one would hold pretty much everything I'd ever want to hear.

Oh, but would an audio DVD play while the car is moving? I like to think it has the capability to shut off video, independent of audio.

Yes, the screen just changes from the picture to "picture not available while driving" when you put the car in gear the music keeps playing. I wonder if the player can read burned DVD's...never thought of that...I was talking about purchased concert DVD's.

I figured you were talking concert DVD's. I'm just not much of a live music fan, that's all.

Can you use other features without interrputing the tunes? Like have the nav display running?

I can't wait, I can't wait, I can't wait....

ddgm is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS

The Nav display works while listening. There are 2 slots, one for the Nav disc and one for the 6 disc changer,
    Make sure the Nav disc is there as new discs are $200.00
    You will love the car.

Doug

ddgm is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS

Double Post

Excellent!

One thing about my wife's RX300 bugs the crap out of me...to bypass the NAV so it can be used in-motion requires five touchscreen "touches", after getting to a menu screen, and it resets with every ignition cycle.

I'm definitely going to check the NAV disc. I know the updated one for my wife's car wasn't inexpensive, but it was finally dated enough to make updating worthwhile.

Can't wait to install my lockpick. The system software update should be done tomorrow...for real this time.

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

MP3's must be on CD. DVD MP3's don't play.

Pacific Accessories Corp makes an interface that hi-jacks the XM and permits connection/control of iPod, HD radio, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by EChas3 View Post
    MP3's must be on CD. DVD MP3's don't play.

Pacific Accessories Corp makes an interface that hi-jacks the XM and permits connection/control of iPod, HD radio, etc.
    Thanks. This makes sense.

I like the idea of using the XM as an input for other things.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.