Rear Gear
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Rear Gear in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; So, I saw another 2005 STS for sale today that has the N* engine, RWD, and a 3.42 rear gear. ...
    chazglenn3 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 White Diamond STS N* 1SF RWD ACC/HUD

Rear Gear

So, I saw another 2005 STS for sale today that has the N* engine, RWD, and a 3.42 rear gear. That car has to flat haul ass away from a standstill. Looking at the 2005 ordering guide, I don't even see the rear axles as options. I wonder what the deal is. My 2005 STS N* RWD has 3.23.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

mckellyb is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS N*, 1SF, 130K mi.

Re: Rear Gear

While still a noob to these cars, but a long-term gearhead, things like axle ratios are commonly determined by trim package, unless the manufacturer knows people will purchase the car for its haul-assibility. Used to be, back in the dark ages, you could order up pretty much any combo of engine/trans/diff. No more.

Let's see...I want a Dodge Coronet w/the four-speed, the Elephant motor, the 4.10 positrac rear, delete heater...what else can I delete which will make it lighter? Oh, I'll keep the spare and remove it, later. Some cars, I think, had the ability to have the sound-deadner insulation not put in when it was built.

I see you have a 1SF. That may have been the deciding factor, 'cause the 1SG which should be mine in a couple of days, has the 3.42. Look it it this way, though, you'll can better MPG than I can, though if I drive gently, it'd likely be close to a wash....

That is what I thought at first myself, but here is a couple examples of 1SG cars with the 3.23...

1G6DC67A250175547
    1G6DC67A250215769

so, I am still at a loss. Congrats on scoring a killer deal on a loaded rocket ship!

mckellyb is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS N*, 1SF, 130K mi.

Quote Originally Posted by chazglenn3 View Post
    That is what I thought at first myself, but here is a couple examples of 1SG cars with the 3.23...

1G6DC67A250175547
    1G6DC67A250215769

so, I am still at a loss. Congrats on scoring a killer deal on a loaded rocket ship!
    Thanks for the congrats...don't have it yet, but I confirmed today they now have the title in-hand...though I think they've always had it, honestly. With what is likely "LEMON BUYBACK" on the title, I understand they don't want people to be scared off.

It's less-common, but I've seen cases where, with certain packages, you can choose what is, in theory, a less-desirable option. Whoa...buncha commas, but it works.

Anyway, in this case, the 1SG may come "naturally" with the 3.42, but you, or GM for that matter, can put the 3.23 in it. Usually, this is a custom-order type of thing, but weird stuff can happen on assembly lines.

My father, back in 1967, ordered a Dodge A-100 from Chrysler, a long-wheelbase passenger van, so windows all around, but with the 4.10 posi, the three-on-the-tree, and one-ton suspension. An odd combo, but it turned out to be a good one.

AllWheelEric is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS4 1SG

I think the 1SG gets 3.23 when it also has AWD.

I have seen the 1SG with RWD and AWD with 3.23. I haven't seen AWD with 3.42.

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

I once made the mistake of staing I had an AWD 3.42. It was not available.

The 3.23 is quite low enough for me.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.