Interesting turn of events...
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Interesting turn of events... in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I consider myself a pretty good judge of vehicle condition and potential issues, but on the '05 STS N* I'm ...
    mckellyb is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS N*, 1SF, 123K mi.

Exclamation Interesting turn of events...

I consider myself a pretty good judge of vehicle condition and potential issues, but on the '05 STS N* I'm looking at purchasing this Saturday, for piece of mind, I ran a VIN check on it.

Lookie there...it is a lemon law buy-back after the first 14 months and just shy of 12K miles.

I can see my initial offer is going to drop from what I'd planned, as they claimed to not have the title, yet it's been three weeks, and they didn't disclose this, yet stated the deposit was non-refundable. Um, if you're witholding information, that's not gonna hold up in court, should we have to go that direction.

It's had two other official owners, since the buy-back, the first being a mere 18 months, but the owner immediately prior to now had it for 75K and a few years. One accident appears in 2008, but it must've been pretty minor (center-rear), 'cause all the silver matched like it should, and I looked carefully for that kinda thing. Silver's easy to see repaints, usually. Actually, any metallic is tough to match, from what I've seen.

The true second "owner" was a dealer in Waco who picked it up at auction and it looks like they drove it as a personal vehicle for about six months and 10K miles. Someone wanted comfort, I can see that.

Well...I know I'm much more tolerant than the average auto owner, but is there a way to find out what the actual, true problem was? It could have been something easily-remedied by a dealer who had a clue, or maybe the solution wasn't available until later. BTDT. Eventually figured out fixes, myself. A drag when you're doing it, but it's satisfying feeling when you finally beat the problem.

While I hesitate for just a moment, the car's racked up 16.5K/year for six years...it can't be that unreliable.

FWIW, the VIN is: 1G6DC67A150179685 and the car has always been registered in Texas. I can see via the emissions checks, 2010 was a busy year for it, 25K miles, most likely in n. central Texas. Relatively easy driving...relatively. I hope they were taking quite regular trips to Houston or Austin.

Thanks for any insight, including what it might have been! I'll bring a floor jack and a creeper, if need be, and roll around under that sucker, looking for whatever....

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

justwinbaby60 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4

Re: Interesting turn of events...

This vehicle has had an extensive GM service history(the most I've seen for one vehicle),but the good news is that it was covered by a GMPP major guard up to 85k.The vin report also showed that it has 12/200 cat conv warranty.Just based on service history I might be a little leary of this car or it could be a plus because it has had a lot of parts replaced/services done already.The buy back is strange because the car had an ABS module replaced and the car was bought back about 40 miles later,but the date of the module replacement was 1/16/06 and the buy back was 3/28/06.Good luck

Whoa, whoa, whoa! There is a memeber on this board who has direct access to GM's records?!

Ultra. Cool.

Now, justwinbaby60...dude...how must I bribe/sway you to obtain said information? I've not yet called a local-to-me dealer, Fort Worth area, 'cause I'm outta town all week. I also figured it'd be just like it was with Mercedes..."sir, we can give this information only to the owner under whom it was registered when completed." Being GM, it may be more along the lines of, "nope, that's not your name. Next!"

"Yo, guys! I own the freakin' car (though not yet in this case)...I want to know what I could be in for." If nothing else, it'll show me what I need to look for/keep an eye on/maybe not be overly concerned about.

So what kinda work was done on it? Just areas are fine, if that's what it says. Sounds like the ABS controller was replaced in order to fix something, but that may not have been what caused the buyback. The mileage/time between the two items seems quite odd. 40 miles in two months? I consider all information useful, even if it doesn't appear so, initially.

\cowboy hat

'Round there-here parts (spit), boy, cars git them kinda miles on 'em even if they're just sittin'...happens when tryin' to corral 'em before a storm.

/cowboy hat

To me, the fact it was GMPP car 'till 85K means it likelly had Mobil 1 more often than not, and it sounds like GM was standing behind it.

/crossed fingers

Also, because nothing appears on the title search during the last owner's timeframe, yet it was covered 'till 85K and they had it a while & drove it quite a bit, this, and I'm not rationalizing, at least not yet, is good. Could be GM fixed the problem resulting in the buyback, but some people are, in all honestly, morons, and cannot change the way they view something which has been a problem in the past.

It does tweak me, however, the place selling it, now, claims the title is "clean", when it'll likley have a big "LEMON BUYBACK" in red lettering stamped on said title.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

there's more than a few w/ access to GM records... just about anyone at a dealership has access... and how many members work at dealerships?
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Thumbs up Re: Interesting turn of events...

I'm still too new to reply to PM's, so....

Dude!!!!

mckellyb123 AT hotmail DOT com

I need to buy you an adult beverage or two! Oh, NC...I am almost never there. Man.... Well, I do have a two-hour layover in Raleigh, Friday, but that's not particularly helpful.

10 posts is the requirement for PM privileges ... you should be able to now
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

check your inbox...

Neutrocuted is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 N* 1SF HUD ACC F55 - 2008 CTS 3.6DI Premium

Be sure to do a good test drive! I'm not talking about around the block doing only right turns, I'm talkin' 'bout gittin' it up to speed, and leave the radio OFF! Also, before you pull the trigger, take it to a trustworthy mechanic for an inspection.

After I bought mine (and not driving it up to speed) I discovered a vibrating hum over 60mph on slow left sweepers... a wheel bearing was shot. After replacing the bearing I noticed the car had 2 other bearings replaced (pop off the hub caps and tell-tale new lug nut bolts come with the new bearings).

After seeing the service history I noticed a strange occurance that happened with both Sigma platforms I've owned. They both had wheel bearing failures after a wheel alignment. My CTS (R.I.P.) came back from the shop after an alignment with 2 roaring bearings. I mentioned this to the dealer and I was almost laughed out of the building. Some of those hacks can be brutal! They get paid by the job and will take every short cut they can.

Sorry about the rant guys!

My point stands, at least a good test drive!

Cool!

I'm on my phone, now, but not for long!

I had a reply 90% pecked out on my Droid, but NOOOOOOO, I grazed a 'virtual' button, and lost it.

True computer to the rescue!

I think your rant is quite important, actually, 'cause people don't understand what a car can 'hide' over short distances/limited speeds. Even temperature differences are important! Baby beater Benz hid the fact reverse doesn't work when the fluid is hot, because I bought it in January. As a result, I've been very selective about parking for the past two years. Live and learn.

This car, in fact, I will be taking on a rather extended drive on the nearby freeway(s) & cloverleafs, to see if I can find anything. I've driven it only around the neighborhood of the "dealer", mainly checking for rattles/clunks/painfully obvious problems. No warped brake discs, no funny noises, doesn't pull under braking, shifts fine at low speeds, but I'm going to spend a solid hour with it before money changes hands. In fact, I'm bringing a large floor jack, stands, and my creeper, so I can poke around underneath...the important area for long life.

I'll be popping off all the center caps, too! Good tip...wouldn't have thought of it.

Quote Originally Posted by RippyPartsDept View Post
    there's more than a few w/ access to GM records... just about anyone at a dealership has access... and how many members work at dealerships?
    Chris, you da man!

I can't figure out why GM felt compelled to buy it back, but I know, quite well, the area where the dealer is located where it was serviced, Sewell Village Cadillac. Close to University/Highland park/north Dallas...that area is chock full of people with much too much money combined with not a lick of sense. I'd not be surprised if the keyless ignition is what put them over the new technology edge.... That, or not being able to figure out how to work the NAV system. They bitched enough about something, and they may have been a "known" person, or a regular customer...no telling. Probably replaced it with an Escalade.

/facepalm

In the last 30-40K miles, new brake pads F&R, a thermostat & water pump (I consider both of these wear items, unlike most folks, 'cause I keep vehicles long enough to usually replace a couple of them...they wear out about every 80-100K, longer if you're lucky), a LF motor mount, it seems like people love to kill the battery in this particular car, and some other minor stuff. Minor in my eyes, like weatherstripping, the trunk latch plate, middle rear seatbelt retractor, etc. I consider the computer reprogramming 'minor', in reality, and this may have been what was the root of the buyback in the first place.

The front tires are nearly new, good Pirelli's, but the rears are shot. I'd put the same size shoes on it, all-around, for tire rotation ease. Um, after I run calcs comparing the sizes to make certain they're very close to the same as OEM.

edit: Woo-hoo! Less than a 1% difference in circumference. Well, that makes my decision easy! $133 each or $197 each. Um...yeah.

My mind has been put, relatively, at ease. Sure, it'll have the pall of "LEMON" over the title, but by the time I move on, it'll be fully-depreciated and have probably well over 200K miles on it, proving, there wasn't anything all that wrong with it.

At least that's my theory...and I'm stickin' to it!

Now, to see if I can find out what it went for at auction. I know where it was bought, and about when.... To the Interwebs! Not likely to be successful, but it's worth a shot. My guess is they paid $8K for it, and the reason no dealer's been able to sell it is because of the LEMON curse. Well, one person kept it a while...but some still think cars go 100K miles, and that's it.

glad to help... and good luck...

and it's good to see that some people still know how to make lemonade!

Thanks!

Yeah, the car I have, now, kinda soured me, but it was a forced purchase, an E-class replacing an S-class, and since October, I've been going round-and-round with RockAuto about control arms which are flat-out wrong for the 94-95 model years, but they won't own up to it. Spent two days trying to figure it out, so it'd be ready when I started a new job with a 67 mi RT commute. Did all the suspension/front-end but those, and they had me flummoxed, 'cause it was close enough for me to think I totally fubar'd something.

Nope.

The more I think about this STS, thanks to your info, the better I feel about going for it. All vehicles have something, maybe this car already had its problem. Hey, I know what I've done to some of my cars, and I wouldn't want someone else doing it before me.

Plus, it'd be the perfect platform for an LSA transplant, later.

Heh, heh....

chazglenn3 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 White Diamond STS N* 1SF RWD ACC/HUD

And it makes for damned good negotiating power...

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

More thaqn a few owners have forced buy-backs on these cars. Objectively speaking, the Voice Recognition feature does not work (pun intended). Many early cars had issues that good dealers could have solved in minutes; alas good dealers are still not dominant.

Picture the poor schmo that paid MSRP $66k and heard exhaust/trans drone and his dealer said, "I don't herar it." Now, the buyer of the same (now used) car under CPO can say, "Try the exhaust system counterweights or re-program the TCM". A used car buyer can be proud if they end up with a new torque converter. No new car buyer will.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.