Interesting turn of events... - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Interesting turn of events... in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally Posted by chazglenn3 And it makes for damned good negotiating power... Now that's what it's all about. Mine has ...
    Neutrocuted is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 N* 1SF HUD ACC F55 - 2008 CTS 3.6DI Premium

Re: Interesting turn of events...

Quote Originally Posted by chazglenn3 View Post
    And it makes for damned good negotiating power...
    Now that's what it's all about. Mine has a "Big A$$" mileage alert on the CarFax report. Probably scared away a lot of prospects. But when you read detail by detail you can see there is a 10 mile difference between reports. It was a clerical error when it went in for service at one point, and corrected 2 days later. But CarFax does not care and spalshes the cars report with a big red warning. But I used it as a negotiating point. They had it listed as an "Internet Special" for $17,999. It caught my eye but it was more than I wanted to spend. 3 days later the price dropped to $15,999 (don't know how long they had it at $17,999 or any other pricing),... hmmm. A week later it was at $13,999. I drove it, discovered some of its issues, negotiated $12,719.

They weren't all smiling faces when I left. As a matter of fact the car had a burnt light bulb and they absolutely refused to even consider replacement. Their only comment was "we sold that car to you at wholesale, it's as-is".

The bottom line is know what you're getting in to. And even if you don't, after you sign the papers you will defend your purchase decision for a long way. You'll say "yeah, it had a couple of little problems but they're all good now!" 'Cause that's what I say!

Most times, you're the ball... but some times, you're the bat, and you're smakin' 'em outta the park!

Good Luck!

mckellyb is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS N*, 1SF, 123K mi.

Quote Originally Posted by Neutrocuted View Post
    Now that's what it's all about. Mine has a "Big A$$" mileage alert on the CarFax report. Probably scared away a lot of prospects. But when you read detail by detail you can see there is a 10 mile difference between reports. It was a clerical error when it went in for service at one point, and corrected 2 days later. But CarFax does not care and spalshes the cars report with a big red warning. But I used it as a negotiating point. They had it listed as an "Internet Special" for $17,999. It caught my eye but it was more than I wanted to spend. 3 days later the price dropped to $15,999 (don't know how long they had it at $17,999 or any other pricing),... hmmm. A week later it was at $13,999. I drove it, discovered some of its issues, negotiated $12,719.

They weren't all smiling faces when I left. As a matter of fact the car had a burnt light bulb and they absolutely refused to even consider replacement. Their only comment was "we sold that car to you at wholesale, it's as-is".

The bottom line is know what you're getting in to. And even if you don't, after you sign the papers you will defend your purchase decision for a long way. You'll say "yeah, it had a couple of little problems but they're all good now!" 'Cause that's what I say!

Most times, you're the ball... but some times, you're the bat, and you're smakin' 'em outta the park!

Good Luck!
    Score!

I had this happen to me when we moved from Texas to CO. There was a delay, somewhere, and the Colorado registration was less than 100 miles less than the Texas registration, which was older, on my wife's '95 Dodge Intrepid 3.5L. FWIW, that was a great twisty road large sedan. Felt like a car 3/5ths its size.

All you had to do was look at it and realize it was an error with no worth.

Clerical error = $5K savings

Bitchin'! The key is to know how to exploit it. This one, I can hold over their head, but honestly, I don't think it's any huge thing. I know where it was sold, and, well, those who live in that area are rather spoiled.

No kidding.

My goal is to let them "make" a few hundred bucks on it, max, and now I know why dealers had such a difficult time selling it.

Fine by me.

One of the owners has been driving it as his DD, so, to me, he's made money on it, already, even if I pay exactly what they did, at auction.

turnne is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac STS

what you are running into is car that a lot of dealers..like Sewell Village Cadillac would not deal with on their used car lot
    The thought that the chance to put a ding in their reputation by selling this car on their lot is not worth it
    So ..a car like the one you are looking at..because of its history.. gets wholesaled..most of the time to an Independent guy who buys it for a song

As I said in the other thread...its a different set of expectation that you should have a for a non retail sale

If you are willing to live with what that means..then it saved you money

Warren

chazglenn3 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 White Diamond STS N* 1SF RWD ACC/HUD

I found something that may interest you Kelly...check your PM box.

Thanks, chazglenn3. I'm trying to do my best to avoid black. It looks GREAT, after it's been cleaned, for about 30 minutes. Then...dust.

There is an '09 Jaaaaag Super V8 in town, 25K miles on it, and I might be convinced to buy a $50K car...maybe...under influence of the correct (incorrect?) drugs...but it's black. Looks great in pics, but I've been down that path, the dark color path, before, and it's a losing battle.

I was looking for silver, but now, it's White Diamond, all the way. Love the pearlescent white! If I can combine it with a light interior, I'm in the bonus!

No kids, no pets, my wife and I are neat, so light interior's not a problem.

chazglenn3 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 White Diamond STS N* 1SF RWD ACC/HUD

I hear you! My car is white diamond with light gray interior. I really like this combo...it isn't as common as the white diamond with cashmere combo.

Quote Originally Posted by chazglenn3 View Post
    I hear you! My car is white diamond with light gray interior. I really like this combo...it isn't as common as the white diamond with cashmere combo.
    Yeah, white/light gray is my perfect combo, but I don't know if I can hold out that long....

turnne is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac STS

Quote Originally Posted by mckellyb View Post
    There is an '09 Jaaaaag Super V8 in town, 25K miles on it, and I might be convinced to buy a $50K car.
    wow...that's the complete other side of the gamut in every way

For some reason I just don't see the same person being interested in the Jag..and the couple of STS's in your market

There is a dealer in your area...Texas Mustang Sales( www.texascarsdirect) that always has an ample of newer Jags for good prices

They are in Dallas near 35N and Denton drive

Warren

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.