Makes you THINK....
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Makes you THINK.... in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Even though this is NOT a truck forum,there still is some learning in this thread: A friend sent me this ...
    Subsailor613 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS 1SF N* RWD NAV F55

Cool Makes you THINK....

Even though this is NOT a truck forum,there still is some learning in this thread:

A friend sent me this email and I am sending it on to my Friends. Wednesday, I approached my truck from the passenger side to place my computer bag in the front passenger seat.

As I reached to open the door I noticed there was a hole right under my door handle. My first thought was, "someone has shot my truck!" I began to think about it and inspect it a little closer and the "light" slowly began to come on.

I phoned my friend who owns a body shop and asked if he had any vehicles with damage to the doors that looked like a bullet hole.

"Yes, I see it all the time. Thieves have a punch and place it right under the door handle, knock a hole through, reach in and unlock it, just as if they have a key.

No alarms, broken glass or anything.

I then placed a call to my insurance agent and explained it to him I was puzzled that they left my GPS and all other belongings. Here is where it gets scary!

"Oh no, he said, they want the break-in to be so subtle that you don't even realize it.

They look at your GPS to see where "home" is.

Now they know what you drive, go to your home, and if your vehicle isn't there they assume you aren't and break in your home."

He says they will even leave a purse or wallet and only take one or two credit cards.

By the time you realize there has been a theft, they may have already had a couple days or more to use them.

I didn't realize my situation for two full days!

They even give you the courtesy of re-locking your doors for you.

Periodically walk around your car, daily if you are in a shopping center or other parking area.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

SlickCityStan is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS V6-1SC

Re: Makes you THINK....

1. What if you don't have a GPS device?
    2. What if you own more than one car or live with other people who own a car?
    3. If your car alarm can be disarmed by simply unlocking the door than you better get a new alarm system!
    4. Have I made my point?

Subsailor613 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS 1SF N* RWD NAV F55

Cool Re: Makes you THINK....

"Don't kill the messenger ! "

jdpimp is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS-4

That's interesting..... I had a friend who had a car "break-in" (he left it unlocked) and they only took one credit card in an effort to give them more time before he realized it. Also, due to my weird paranoia, I always "get directions" from GPS or google maps or whatever to houses on my street, never my actual home address and never save any addresses to "my maps" although I do realize that they could probably be found in caches and what-not.

Once I'm on my own street, I can usually make it from there.

Thanks for the heads-up will pass on the word about the bullet-hole thievery

BaTu is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '05 STS4

I remember this same urban legend floating around when GPS first appeared on the market...

Valets & Parking Garages were supposed to be doing it, but, think about it,,,, they could just as easily look at your registration

It's BS......

550HP STSV is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): Heavily Modified STS-V

why wouldnt they just stand outside anyones house to see what vehicles they drive, and when they come and go...

jordan00escalade is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 Escalade, 2002 Deville DTS

That's why I got a guard dog. I think the MO is to watch the house and decide on the risks from there... Some people use the "ADT Security" or some home protection sign without actually having the service.. My "Beware of dog" signs hopefully deter any thieves from feeling the need to take something from me. I'm sure some of you are familiar with the "Forget the dog, beware of owner" signs too.

All we can really do is try not to make ourselves easy targets, and look out for each other (your neighbors, friends, family.. even the guy you don't know). Be safe

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

Truthfully, even a 'yap-yap' dog reduces the chance of burglery. Crooks prefer easy pickings. Somebody might be home; why would they take a chance?

Neutrocuted is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 N* 1SF HUD ACC F55 - 2008 CTS 3.6DI Premium

Knowing what I know now about STS front door handles, well the only way to open the front door from the outside is to pull the cable. You'd have to know where to pull, and that where is the inside door handle lever. The back doors may be easy pickins, I don't know!

Greg00coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 05 STS

You never can be too careful. When I got my used STS it had all the history in it even the prior owners prior address. Probably if I went to his house the garge door was still programed. I got my "home" GPS programmed to my city. All I need home for is to get and estimated mileage and time when on a trip coming back.

As far as those guard dogs........had too friends with what they considered Bad A$$ dogs. One theif beat the dog scarred and the other dog got appeased with some hot dogs. House still cleaned out. In fact in one case they stole the furnishings. Guy redid the house and took the opportunity to put in new carpet. 3 months later they came back.....unfurnished the house and even took the carpet this time. Aw country living!!!

550HP STSV is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): Heavily Modified STS-V

theives had time to pull the carpet up and take it with them huh

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

That's just wrong....

jordan00escalade is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 Escalade, 2002 Deville DTS

Not suppose to love anything man made anyway.. lol

and as far as dogs.. Mine aren't bad a$$ they family, and we are all family oriented and things lol

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.