Goodbye, STS... It's the end of the road... - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Goodbye, STS... It's the end of the road... in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally Posted by jordan00escalade you and me both.. The STS-V could be a classic one day (we decide) I think ...
    Bucketokarma is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2002 Seville Touring Sedan

Re: Goodbye, STS... It's the end of the road...

Quote Originally Posted by jordan00escalade View Post
    you and me both.. The STS-V could be a classic one day (we decide)

I think that the V-series cars will become some of the more sought after classic "muscle" of the early 20-hundreds, in say 30-40 years from now. Just look at all the cars "old-timers" bought in their teens, thrashed on, or sold a few years later, 30 years down the road, they are now kicking themselves for ever getting rid of "that car" because now it's a classic and of course "they don't make them like that anymore".
    STS-V, and the second gen CTS-V have a higher chance of becoming sought after, the STS because of rarity, the 2nd-gen CTS because of copious HP, and "fastest production sedan" title.

1BadCadSTS is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4

The STS died when they killed the V8 option imho.

Neutrocuted is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 N* 1SF HUD ACC F55 - 2008 CTS 3.6DI Premium

Quote Originally Posted by Bucketokarma View Post
    I think that the V-series cars will become some of the more sought after classic "muscle" of the early 20-hundreds, in say 30-40 years from now. Just look at all the cars "old-timers" bought in their teens, thrashed on, or sold a few years later, 30 years down the road, they are now kicking themselves for ever getting rid of "that car" because now it's a classic and of course "they don't make them like that anymore".
    STS-V, and the second gen CTS-V have a higher chance of becoming sought after, the STS because of rarity, the 2nd-gen CTS because of copious HP, and "fastest production sedan" title.
    Oh geez, I had a '69 Camaro SS 350 and '72 Demon 340 that I wished I had kept... especially the Camaro because it was a freak of the production line. They were putting only 3 speed turbo hydromatics in these car but mine was a mistake at the factory and came with a 2 speed power-glide. Bought it brand new from Midway Chevrolet in Chicago in 1968. Someone else had ordered it but when it came in with the power glide, they refused it. I got it for a steal.

Quote Originally Posted by 1BadCadSTS View Post
    The STS died when they killed the V8 option imho.
    You get 2 amens on that! No offense to you guys with the 3.6... I had one in my CTS, it was ok, but my N* really rocks!

Lord Cadillac is offline Cadillac Maniac
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Escalade

Those 2 speed power glide transmissions were cool and all - until you wanted to go 60 or 70 on the highway...
    Have an iPhone? Than you can get involved right now. Click here to download Cars Connected.

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

Quote Originally Posted by Neutrocuted View Post
    Oh geez, I had a '69 Camaro SS 350 and '72 Demon 340 that I wished I had kept... especially the Camaro because it was a freak of the production line. They were putting only 3 speed turbo hydromatics in these car but mine was a mistake at the factory and came with a 2 speed power-glide. Bought it brand new from Midway Chevrolet in Chicago in 1968. Someone else had ordered it but when it came in with the power glide, they refused it. I got it for a steal.
    Drag racers still love the Powerglide; especially at the lil' 1/8 mile strips.

onlyuscars is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '05 STS V8, 1SF JE5, Lockpick, Volant CAI, Corsa, Summer 20s

My next car may be 1996 Fleetwood Brougham if I can find on with low enough miles and in good condition. How's that for change? 350 pushrod, body on frame, luxury tank, 25mpg hiughway. Trucks and big cars are already piling up around Philly dealers,
    Quote Originally Posted by EChas3 View Post
    Life is all about change. Enjoy the ride!

turnne is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac STS

Quote Originally Posted by onlyuscars View Post
    My next car may be 1996 Fleetwood Brougham if I can find on with low enough miles and in good condition. How's that for change? 350 pushrod, body on frame, luxury tank, 25mpg hiughway. Trucks and big cars are already piling up around Philly dealers,
    good luck finding one of those that is not a POS
    trouble with those is that they are worth nothing so they quickly became "beaters"

Though my neighbor traded a Buick Roadmaster, for a Ford Crown Vic, not too long ago that would have fit your needs..that is if a Buick would have done for you

Warren

02603sec is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): STS 1SF Black V8 2006

CTS = Catera. what a pos. I'm in the market for a rear wheel drive V8 with 4 doors and a back seat that people can sit in. I will put 100k on it in 4 years. I looked hard at the DTS, but I'm not that old, and abhor front wheel drive. 2008- 2011 were low production years for the STS, and I havent seen too many. It's too bad STS didn't have a special "going out of business edition" like they did with the 76 Eldo conv, and the '02 Eldo. They could have made one more run on the STS-V design. Or maybe they could have slipped a supercharged LS-motor in the STS, like what they did with the LT1- Fleetwood in the '90s.
    99 540I was my last car (driver) before the 05 STS 4.6. I have a diesel ford pickup, which is the best vehicle I have ever owned and a C5 corvette, which I enjoy immensely. GF has a Miata and a Suburu.
    I will never again buy Rover, Porsche, Chrysler/Daimler, Volvo, Jaguar, Infinity, Lexus. Have owned these brands before, and I will pass. The Infinity as well as the Lexus are cheaply made, with thin paint, leather seating surfaces and lack power.
    I will probably go back to BMW and get a used 7 series with 8cyls.

txbest1980 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS "Ebony Maria" 2005 Cadillac STS "Grace"

Quote Originally Posted by malatu View Post
    In a couple of years, you'll see more and more of the CTS's "tricked out" with loud mufflers and "add on" spoilers!
    definitely to late for that...some of the younger CTS owners are already trying to rice them out...it must be the extra young generation thing

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

Quote Originally Posted by 02603sec View Post
    I'm in the market for a rear wheel drive V8 with 4 doors and a back seat that people can sit in. I will put 100k on it in 4 years. I looked hard at the DTS, but I'm not that old, and abhor front wheel drive.

I will never again buy Rover, Porsche, Chrysler/Daimler, Volvo, Jaguar, Infinity, Lexus. Have owned these brands before, and I will pass.
    This substantially echoes my thoughts prior to buying my STS. I've enjoyed STS ownership for about 2.5 years. I've had a lot of luxurious driving fun and had no unexpected out-of-pocket expenses. Tires & brakes are consumables for cars with over 60,000 miles.

Quote Originally Posted by EChas3 View Post
    This substantially echoes my thoughts prior to buying my STS. I've enjoyed STS ownership for about 2.5 years. I've had a lot of luxurious driving fun and had no unexpected out-of-pocket expenses. Tires & brakes are consumables for cars with over 60,000 miles.
    I didn't realize that you had owned one of those brands he mentioned?

I also find it interesting what he said he wants to go back to.....and the fact that a Mercedes S class would not be on the list as well

IMO..if either a 7 series or S class is your cup of tea the STS will not come anywhere to meeting your expectations on any level...other than being a lot less expensive

Warren

Quote Originally Posted by turnne View Post
    ...I also find it interesting what he said he wants to go back to.....and the fact that a Mercedes S class would not be on the list as well

IMO..if either a 7 series or S class is your cup of tea the STS will not come anywhere to meeting your expectations on any level...other than being a lot less expensive

Warren
    I agree on that! My other half has an E class. I don't care for it but it's really nice. Absolutely love the way it handles, precision does not describe it well enough, it makes you feel like a surgeon with a scalpel. But what is surrendered, ergonomics mainly, IMHO, well let's just say that I prefer my American manufacturer autos. It does have some neat features, but still, I'll take a Caddy, IMHO.

This is the only foreign car I've ever owned and when we were test driving it I made the comment that the side view mirrors seemed to be a tad small. The salesman said, feigning a German accent, "the engineers in Germany would tell you 'They are the correct size because you don't need to know where you've been, you only need to know where you are going'"! That gave me a chuckle.

Then I commented about the sun visors not having good coverage and the sun would peak through the side window and into my eye and once again using his German accent "If the sun gets in your eye, you are going in the wrong direction! You must turn around and go the other way!"

He was obviously kidding, but he wasn't that far off base as far as MB techs and advisors are concerned. Almost everything can be explained away by blaming lack of knowledge on the part of the operator that caused an issue.

Parts from MB are a trip too! Just had to get a new fob 'cause she left one in her pocket and it went through the washer... I looked everywhere online but couldn't find one. We had to go to the MB dealer with our license & registration and order a fob... $250!!!!!! They keep tight control over their keys!

So, I prefer to get beat up at a Caddy dealer rather than the MB dealer. It's also easier to find non-dealer mechanics to work on my Caddy than the Benz.

Just my $.02 worth!

Quote Originally Posted by Neutrocuted View Post
    I agree on that! My other half has an E class. I don't care for it but it's really nice. Absolutely love the way it handles, precision does not describe it well enough, it makes you feel like a surgeon with a scalpel. But what is surrendered, ergonomics mainly, IMHO, well let's just say that I prefer my American manufacturer autos. It does have some neat features, but still, I'll take a Caddy, IMHO.

This is the only foreign car I've ever owned and when we were test driving it I made the comment that the side view mirrors seemed to be a tad small. The salesman said, feigning a German accent, "the engineers in Germany would tell you 'They are the correct size because you don't need to know where you've been, you only need to know where you are going'"! That gave me a chuckle.

Then I commented about the sun visors not having good coverage and the sun would peak through the side window and into my eye and once again using his German accent "If the sun gets in your eye, you are going in the wrong direction! You must turn around and go the other way!"

He was obviously kidding, but he wasn't that far off base as far as MB techs and advisors are concerned. Almost everything can be explained away by blaming lack of knowledge on the part of the operator that caused an issue.

Parts from MB are a trip too! Just had to get a new fob 'cause she left one in her pocket and it went through the washer... I looked everywhere online but couldn't find one. We had to go to the MB dealer with our license & registration and order a fob... $250!!!!!! They keep tight control over their keys!

So, I prefer to get beat up at a Caddy dealer rather than the MB dealer. It's also easier to find non-dealer mechanics to work on my Caddy than the Benz.

Just my $.02 worth!
    LOL...some good points you made

No other manufacturer comes anywhere close to the germans at handling brakes, steering etc
    Infiniti is trying very hard...and their cars, IMO, are the best handling non german makes

They are finely engineered and thought out and it shows...things like the single windshield wiper that moves in 4 directions across the windshield are a statement of that

I would ask which car you would rather take a long road trip in or drive on a bumpy road

Not sure what year E class your have...but that key you mentioned has changed a few times over the years..the last time I checked Mercedes key system was still named the most theft resistant out there

I have rented a couple of Chrysler vehicles in the last year and I have noticed that they had adopted the Mercedes key system that was used in the late 90's...with the solid piece with a contact point at the ignition

The other point I was making originally was that if the earlier poster liked the BMW 7 series....clearly the handling brakes etc were going to be at another level..but I also think the finish and interior materials of the STS will not fit your expectations if you are a 7 series buyer
    And granted it should not for the difference in the two car's prices

Warren

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.