Goodbye, STS... It's the end of the road... - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Goodbye, STS... It's the end of the road... in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I got a "Car and Driver" text alert a couple of days ago that said GM's is planning on putting ...
    Neutrocuted is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 N* 1SF HUD ACC F55 - 2008 CTS 3.6DI Premium

Re: Goodbye, STS... It's the end of the road...

I got a "Car and Driver" text alert a couple of days ago that said GM's is planning on putting 4 cylinder engines into both the ATS and the XTS. It didn't say if it would be an option or the base engine. I'm sure the 3.6 will still be available. Also, the XTS is going to be on the Buick LaCrosse platform.

Cripes... I remember the day when Cadillac was "the leader" and then after a couple of years the other divisions would get the neat stuff. Not any more. GM is pushing Buick to be GM's leader and I believe it is because in China, anyone who has "made-it" or is a "wannabe" drives a Buick. They sell like hot cakes over there.

I don't believe that GM is concerned about the American market, which is shrinking due to imports, they're concerned about the Chinese and global markets which are rapidly expanding. Those markets want Buicks, not Cadillacs.

My prediction is that Cadillac and GMC will go the way of Oldsmobile & Pontiac, not soon, but I believe it's in the plans, especially GMC which I believe will be sooner, too much redundancy. Buick will be high end and Chevrolet will be for the masses. That is GM's future, IMHO.

KRSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Crystal Red 2008 3.6 DI RWD

Quote Originally Posted by Neutrocuted View Post
    I got a "Car and Driver" text alert a couple of days ago that said GM's is planning on putting 4 cylinder engines into both the ATS and the XTS. It didn't say if it would be an option or the base engine. I'm sure the 3.6 will still be available. Also, the XTS is going to be on the Buick LaCrosse platform.

Cripes... I remember the day when Cadillac was "the leader" and then after a couple of years the other divisions would get the neat stuff. Not any more. GM is pushing Buick to be GM's leader and I believe it is because in China, anyone who has "made-it" or is a "wannabe" drives a Buick. They sell like hot cakes over there.

I don't believe that GM is concerned about the American market, which is shrinking due to imports, they're concerned about the Chinese and global markets which are rapidly expanding. Those markets want Buicks, not Cadillacs.

My prediction is that Cadillac and GMC will go the way of Oldsmobile & Pontiac, not soon, but I believe it's in the plans, especially GMC which I believe will be sooner, too much redundancy. Buick will be high end and Chevrolet will be for the masses. That is GM's future, IMHO.
    Good analysis. I tend to agree. I just bought a buick for the wife and so far its been a wonderful vehicle. Very high end fit and finish also.

Lord Cadillac is offline Cadillac Maniac
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Escalade

Quote Originally Posted by EChas3 View Post
    I wouldn't be so sure. Washington is planning to 'punish oil companies' and will end up hurting us all with even highwe gas prices. It's hard to believe it isn't intentional; could anyone be so ignorant?
    You really think Cadillac is going to skip-out on the mid-size segment when the ATS comes along? They can either increase the size of the CTS to STS proportions or have an ATS and a CTS about the same size. Doesn't that sound a lot like the mistake they made with the CTS and STS? They were too close in size.. The next CTS will grow in size, features and price.

If I'm not mistaken, the XTS is being designed in Shanghai...
    Have an iPhone? Than you can get involved right now. Click here to download Cars Connected.

ryannel2003 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 Honda Accord EX V6. Previous: 2004 Deville, 2000 STS

It's unfortunate that Cadillac let the STS just die-out like this. If the car had been continually updated like all of the others in it's class, I'm sure the car would have been more successful. As it has been shown though, GM is extremely slow to update cars and just let them wither and die without any kind of recognition. What's sad is the STS was the car that was supposed to be bring Cadillac back to the top of it's game, and unfortunately it never got that kind of attention. As it turns out, the Seville was preferred by many people even though it was FWD. That's really unfortunate, because the STS is a much better driving car.

turnne is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac STS

Quote Originally Posted by ryannel2003 View Post
    It's unfortunate that Cadillac let the STS just die-out like this. If the car had been continually updated like all of the others in it's class, I'm sure the car would have been more successful. As it has been shown though, GM is extremely slow to update cars and just let them wither and die without any kind of recognition. What's sad is the STS was the car that was supposed to be bring Cadillac back to the top of it's game, and unfortunately it never got that kind of attention. As it turns out, the Seville was preferred by many people even though it was FWD. That's really unfortunate, because the STS is a much better driving car.
    The 2005 STS rolled out in 2005 behind the times
    It should have had an all new redesigned V8 to match the competitors and some systems like the Nav and voice activation were behind the competition
    They marketed the car as being able to "drive" like the germans and I don't think that was ever taken seriously by any perspective german buyer

Then...they sold a lot of "cheap" leases to move cars and then they came back 2-3 years later at auctions at 30%( of sticker) wholesale values

Then the car was never really updated...so even the levels of leasing ...past 2007...were way down

I seriously doubt the 2005+ STS was a profitable car for GM

Warren

Jesda is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): An endless stream of Sevilles.

I will probably keep buying Sevilles until they all disappear.

It was previously reported that the 2012 model year would be the last. Apparently 2011 is the end.

chazglenn3 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 White Diamond STS N* 1SF RWD ACC/HUD

Sevilles stopped production in 2004. STS production appears to be 2005-2011.

turnne is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac STS

I am not sure its has to do with the fact they are concerned about..as I think they are
    Its just that the luxury market in the US...has been expanding rapidly since the 80's...whittled even further down when the Japanese got very serious about it in the early 90's

Now you have Lexus as the number one seller of luxury cars in the US

I think the US car manufacturers play much better in the mid range sedan and truck category
    what you are seeing in the manufacturers playing to their strengths

In a tight market...why continue to manufacture a car that you have to use a "give away" lease rate to move...and when it comes back from lease its worth 30% of retail

How can that be profitable?

Why not play( capitalize) in the products categories that are actually profitable?

Warren

Mafiaman111 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1998 Cadillac Eldorado 176000 miles Black on Black

Cadillac is also dropping the DTS which i loved them cars since i first saw one when i was very young, i would never buy a cadillac with anything less then an eight cylinder

Slee_Stack is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Wagon RWD Premium, Used to own 2005 STS 1SG

Not really shedding any tears here. There have been plenty worse cars to come and go than the STS, but plenty better ones too.

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

Life is all about change. Enjoy the ride!

Quote Originally Posted by Slee_Stack View Post
    Not really shedding any tears here. There have been plenty worse cars to come and go than the STS, but plenty better ones too.
    I don't think it's so much about a model coming or going, but I believe that most of us on this forum really love our STS's and just wish that GM had put more effort into marketing and updating. Cadillac has a long list of firsts that I believe is, or should say was, a tradition that made Cadillac the leader. Cars are an emotional subject for car lovers, that's why we're here. Most people could give less than a rats a$$ about cars... they are devices that get them from a to b.

I see that you use to have a 2005 STS. What are you driving now and how do you feel about it? (if you don't mind me asking)

jordan00escalade is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 Escalade, 2002 Deville DTS

What impact is that going to have on the STS and STS-V value lets say.. 5 years from now?

Quote Originally Posted by jordan00escalade View Post
    What impact is that going to have on the STS and STS-V value lets say.. 5 years from now?
    I don't know, but what I do know is if the price is right I surely will grab an STS-V in a heartbeat!

jordan00escalade is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 Escalade, 2002 Deville DTS

I don't know, but what I do know is if the price is right I surely will grab an STS-V in a heartbeat!
    you and me both.. The STS-V could be a classic one day (we decide)

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.