Drivers Door Micro Switch Replacement "How-To" Part 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Drivers Door Micro Switch Replacement "How-To" Part 2 in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; If you are looking for the beginning of this "how-to" CLICK HERE! 3. Remove the outside handle. Pop open the ...
    Neutrocuted is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 N* 1SF HUD ACC F55 - 2008 CTS 3.6DI Premium

Drivers Door Micro Switch Replacement "How-To" Part 2

If you are looking for the beginning of this "how-to" CLICK HERE!

3. Remove the outside handle.

Pop open the yellow linkage connector inside the door that goes from the key lock to the latch. It is far easier to do this while the housing is still screwed to the door.

The yellow linkage connector spins so make sure that the latch is spun towards you when you re-connect it for easy access should you have to disconnect it again. Disconnect the antenna wires from the housing. It is a connector that is clipped to the housing itself.
    Also notice that I had just washed my car before this repair and notice the water inside the door. That’s why you don’t want to rip the rain shield.

Remove the black plug to access the angled torx screw that holds the key tumbler cover on (no pic of the plug). You will need to pull the outside door handle slightly to get it off.

DO NOT REMOVE THE SCREW FROM THE HOUSING. Screw it only far enough to get the housing off, that’s it.

If you look at the housing picture on the box you will see the angled torx screw and hopefully understand why it’s on an angle and how to get to it.

To remove the outside door handle you need to pull the handle outward half way, reach inside and hold the spring load by the black counterweight at the top, move the handle back flush with the door (unsprung), slide the handle rearward then out.
    For future reference, IT DOES NOT REASSEMBLE THE SAME WAY! If you try to reassemble the same way you will break off the switch tips, requiring another housing! (don’t ask how I know)
    4. Remove the housing

Once the handle is off the only thing holding the housing to the door is the outer torx screw. Remove the second screw completely. Hold the housing from the inside to keep it from falling down inside the door.
    The housing itself should not be defective (unless it is physically broken) so even though you bought the whole “Housing K” assy. does not mean you have to replace the whole thing.

Just switch out the micro switches. They snap out easily. The key tumbler locking pin is a real mother to get off and back on again. (don’t ask how I know)
    5. Practice re-assembly!

After it is disassembled, install the outside door handle into the housing with the old micro switches still in place as if it were on the door, to get a feel and to see how it re-assembles. Re-assembly consists of inserting the outer door handle into the forward and rearward slots of the housing, in the rearward position of the housing, flush with the housing, then snapping the handle forward. You do not need to hold the spring action counterweight to do this. The outside handle actually has a cam on it that will make the spring lever pop into position and will not touch the micro switches. Be sure to use enough white grease everywhere, that will assure smooth operation between the plastic-on-plastic action that occurs on every door opening, as you will see while you play with the 2 pieces.
    6. Reassembly

This is done in reverse of the disassembly process except for the outer handle installation.

Also, when replacing the key tumbler cover you will need to apply a lot of force to the cover and apply a lot of force to the torx driver while turning the driver, otherwise the screw will miss the threaded hole of the cover.

Notice that the key tumbler is flush against the hole after it is tightened up.
    Don’t forget to reinstall the black hole plug!
    I hope this helps. Any additional tips are welcome. GOOD LUCK!
    JJJake likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

ddalder is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS-4 N* 1SG

Re: Drivers Door Micro Switch Replacement "How-To" Part 2

Nice work!

One thing I did with my antenna upgrade "How-To" was to add the link for Part 2 and the bottom of Part 1, and the link for Part 1 at the top of Part 2. Just made it a little easier for searching

That's a great idea! Done!

Thanks for the compliment!

It really took a lot of time to try and get it all organized. I had no idea on how much.

I'm going to change my cabin filter again soon and was thinking of doing one for that.

whiseboy@hotmail.com is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): STS

what where the symptoms of this problem. The problem we are having is the doors won't open from the outside yet the open from the latch on the inside.

chazglenn3 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 White Diamond STS N* 1SF RWD ACC/HUD

Quote Originally Posted by Neutrocuted View Post
    Thanks for the compliment!
    I'm going to change my cabin filter again soon and was thinking of doing one for that.
    That would be most helpful if you figure out a good method. I think removing the hood strut so the hood can lay back against the windshield would make things easier, but I haven't tried it yet...just a suggestion

Quote Originally Posted by whiseboy@hotmail.com View Post
    what where the symptoms of this problem. The problem we are having is the doors won't open from the outside yet the open from the latch on the inside.
    That is pretty much it. If the door doesn't open from the outside it could be the switches... but it could be something else also. That's why I suggest testing the switches. But when you say doors, as in both or all, that might be something else. How do you gain entry now?

Quote Originally Posted by chazglenn3 View Post
    That would be most helpful if you figure out a good method. I think removing the hood strut so the hood can lay back against the windshield would make things easier, but I haven't tried it yet...just a suggestion
    When I changed it before my biggest problem was getting it around the non-movable retain hooks without destroying it. I don't remember the hood getting in the way, but I'll pay closer attention to that to see if disconnecting it will make access easier. I am about easier!

whiseboy@hotmail.com is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): STS

Basically it's the front doors, the back doors are working fine. we are going to check the switches now but are also going to check the wiring harness as well. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Also, what's the best way to test the switches?

Check out part 1. I have a link to it at the beginning of part 2. I explained how I checked the switches there. Let me know how you make out!

Good Luck!

1BadCadSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4

do you happen to have the part number?

The drivers door is 19120306, passenger door is 19120307.
    Houston08caddy likes this.

jaymevb is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 sts4

could you go into more detail about how you checked the switches? i'm not sure what a continuity tester is or how exactly you tested them.

KRSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Crystal Red 2008 3.6 DI RWD

If you dont know what a continuity tester is, then I recommend you NOT try to repair this
    wormser likes this.

jaymevb is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 sts4

if you don't have something useful to contribute, i recommend not typing anything

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.