Drivers Door Micro Switch Replacement "How-To" Part 2 - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Drivers Door Micro Switch Replacement "How-To" Part 2 in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally Posted by jaymevb if you don't have something useful to contribute, i recommend not typing anything I don't want ...
    ddalder is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS-4 N* 1SG

Re: Drivers Door Micro Switch Replacement "How-To" Part 2

Quote Originally Posted by jaymevb View Post
    if you don't have something useful to contribute, i recommend not typing anything
    I don't want to seem negative, but I agreee with KRSTS. The reality is, there are some complex systems in these cars and if you don't have at least some background with electronics you probably shouldn't be trying to fix this yourself. I don't think KRSTS meant this in a negative manner, nor do I. The fact still remains that sometimes it's just as important to take this type of advice as suggestions on how to move forward and create more problems for yourself. A continuity tester is one of the most basic tools used in this type of work. Your lack of knowledge doesn't mean you aren't an intelligent person, only that you probably don't have an adequate level of knowledge for this type of work.

ddalder is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS-4 N* 1SG

Inadvertent duplicate of previous post... Removed.

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

OK, the STS has a complex system. But that's no reason not to explain that a Volt/Ohm/Meter (VOM) is a common tool used to diagnose a wide variety of electrical issues. Most do-it-yourselfer's have a digital VOM and a lot of much more sophisticated tools.

If you don't have a VOM and know the difference between Ohms of resistence and volts DC, take your problem to a professional. In the long run, you'll save time, trouble and money.

If you are handy with electronics, this thread provides all you shouid need.

A wise man knows his limitations. (No offense intended to anyone. We are all ignorant of something.)

Neutrocuted is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 N* 1SF HUD ACC F55 - 2008 CTS 3.6DI Premium

A continuity tester can usually be found on most multimeters and are sold at most auto parts stores as a stand alone device for $5 or $10. It simply has 2 probes that when touched together will activate a signal (a light or a beep) that an electrical current has passed from one probe to the other, completing an electrical circuit.

When ever you turn on a light, when the light comes on it means the circuit is complete. If the light does not come on when the switch is activated that means the circuit is not complete, something is not conducting the electricity and the electricity cannot continue along the circuit to make it complete.

I'm reasonably sure KRSTS wasn't trying to insult, but you will need some basic electrical understanding to touch the probes to the correct posts on the connector to perform the tests and understand your results.

May I suggest reading the test procedure again. Look at the connectors and decide which 2 pairs of terminals/posts you want to test. I don't know if I can make it any clearer. I only did this because I thought I could make it clear to everyone but I guess I didn't take into consideration people that don't have auto repair experience.

Don't feel bad! I'm trying to fix a 1982 Yahama Virago that needs the carbs synced and am having a hard time figuring it out. Just remember 1thing... almost anybody can do almost anything, once they know how to do it. Google it! That's what I do when I don't know something. I have never worked on carbs before but I was able to tear them all the way down, clean all the varnish out, clear all the passages out, and put them back together. So get in there and 'git r' done"!

Hope this helps.

EDIT: I didn't realize you guys chimed in! It took me so long to get to responding that you guys pretty much covered my point! Thanks guys!

Marlin is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS

Yea the STS I am working on the Pass door will sometimes open and sometimes not. If I lift the handle without the fob the red light will light up so I know it can see I am pulling the handle. But when unlocked or the drivers door is opened the Pass will not open, but the 2 rear will.

So the most common issue is the 19120307 handle/switch for this?

Thanks

Sounds like it might be a bit more than the switches IMHO, but, test the switches for both doors first. Eliminate that factor. If you have a bad switch you know you have to replace it. Replace the switches and everything might start working correctly again.

I can tell you this, my doors acted really weird before I replaced the switches, but after the first attempt. After breaking one of the switches on my first attempt, I put it back together, non-functioning, using my key for entry as before my first attempt. If I stood close to the drivers side of the car I would hear the doors unlock about once every 45 seconds or so.

I put new batteries in the fob and there was no change. Since I knew the housing switches were bad I just waited until my 2nd housing came, installed it and everything went back to normal. Since the computer controls almost every friggin' thing on these cars I guess if something isn't right the computer does whatever it wants to!! I really don't know.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

FranchiseSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS AWD V8

Neutrocuted.. Thank you the clear directions and pictures. They are very well done and are a huge help. I have finally found the time to get to replacing my Micro Switches. I have the door panels off and hopefully will finish this tonight or tomorrow...

Well anyways.. now that the door panel is off I want/need to put Dynamat on the door due to the excessive rattle heard from outside my driver side door.

What I want to know is if anyone knows if I can/should remove the other parts on the door (power window regulator?) and put the dynamat down, or should I go around them because that cant or shouldnt be removed.

Hopefully I've explained my question...

Quote Originally Posted by FranchiseSTS View Post
    Well anyways.. now that the door panel is off I want/need to put Dynamat on the door due to the excessive rattle heard from outside my driver side door.

What I want to know is if anyone knows if I can/should remove the other parts on the door (power window regulator?) and put the dynamat down, or should I go around them because that cant or shouldnt be removed.

Hopefully I've explained my question...
    Before you do the DynoMat thing, since you have the panel off, reach down inside the door to see if you can find anything.

My passenger door had an awful rattle and I was very suspicious because the window tint has a bad scratch, the rubber window wipes are not straight and there was damage to the outside door trim applique, signs that I believed were from an attempt to break in using old fashion methods. Down inside the door I found a broken-off housing counterweight and broken glass. After I got all the crap out the speaker can go to full power with full bass with no problems, except that I think the system as a whole is a tad underpowered!

Please let me know what you find and results of testing!

So... I go to switch out the MicroSwitch and at step one, I've made a dumb mistake. I for whatever reason didn't take into account that you owned an 06 and I had an 08. I ordered the replacement part prior to your post with the pictures but on the assumption the micro switch was my issue, after reviewing several threads on the symptoms. It was a $80 gamble I was willing to take.

My issue is that my 08 has a different connection configuration. Instead of 2 rows of 3, It is 1 row of 6. From what I see, everything else looks identical.

My question is should I simply splice and solder the new harness to the old connection, or should I just reorder a new MicroSwitch from an 08+ to be safe.

My previous question about how to remove the other electrical components from the door was ridiculous. I think at first I was too worried about breaking a clip but after using some pliers, it comes off extremely easy. Now I'm going to see if I can figure out this rattle, and microswitch.

Remember, the inside of the door is exposed to car wash water/weather/the elements. Splicing wires usually leads to corrosion unless you solder the wires and protect with epoxy or the likes, IMHO. But it sounds like it should work, but 1 false move and who knows how far you'll go down the ole rabbit hole!!! And, I don't know squat about later models. Send your VIN to Chris at Rippy and maybe he can give you the correct part number and a good price on the part. Don't forget to tell him you are a Cadillac Forum member!

I will amend my "How-To" to include a caution to check the part # with the VIN!

Quote Originally Posted by Neutrocuted View Post
    Remember, the inside of the door is exposed to car wash water/weather/the elements. Splicing wires usually leads to corrosion unless you solder the wires and protect with epoxy or the likes, IMHO. But it sounds like it should work, but 1 false move and who knows how far you'll go down the ole rabbit hole!!! And, I don't know squat about later models. Send your VIN to Chris at Rippy and maybe he can give you the correct part number and a good price on the part. Don't forget to tell him you are a Cadillac Forum member!

I will amend my "How-To" to include a caution to check the part # with the VIN!

Yeah, that's what I was leaning towards. The actual splicing and soldering, while it would work, but to save the possible headaches down the line I think buying the correct part is how I should go. Do you have his member name or the web address because I'd much prefer to purchase from someone here. I'll spend another 80 to just be 'sure'.

Oh and I'm so glad I asked and you responded to my question about DynaMat.
    So I purchased the car with a clean title but I was informed there was body work/replacement of the driver side door prior to purchasing. Before I purchased the car I took it to a Cadillac dealership for an inspection and while everything on the car checked out, the one thing the noted other than new brakes will be needed soon, the mechanic said there were no production labels on the door. This obviously meant the door was replaced but the color match was perfect and I only noticed a slight difference where the chrome is on the door sill so I wondered where the door came from.

I figured it out just now. The door is much dustier and dirtier on the inside than my passenger side door. So I'm pretty much positive this door came from another matching STS.

So after taking your advice to look and feel inside the door everything seemed fine. I decided to check again and found something heavy pinned to the bottom of the door. After some wiggling I finally got it out...It was the complete door hinge from the previous car, just sitting inside the door. My door sounded like a trunk with 3 subs in it. Now, I get why. The strange thing is that a month ago when I got the car it barely rattled, not close to what it was doing until today.

I apologize for the long winded post but thanks again for the advice. DynaMat would solve nothing for an extra hinge in your door. That is not the most reassuring sign of the quality of the repair shop that did this but oh well. At least I have 3yrs and another 50k miles under warranty.

Sent PM. Please be sure to let me know how the sound systems sounds post-surgery!

I worked at an auto dealership when I was young and a customer came in 2 days after he bought a brand new car and complained about a rattle coming from the rear of the car. The mechanics kept the car for a week... everyone drove it to try to determine what was rattling/banging in the car. They even had a guy ride in the trunk to see if he could determine what was making the racket.

The dealer gave the guy another car (upgraded) and called in the big shots. They couldn't figure it out either. Then one of the big shots said cut off the quarter panels. They cut off the drivers side first because that's where it sounded like it was coming from and they found an empty 5th size bottle of Jack hanging by a string that was attached between 2 welded sections. What a scream! So ya just never know!

Quote Originally Posted by Neutrocuted View Post
    Sent PM. Please be sure to let me know how the sound systems sounds post-surgery!

I worked at an auto dealership when I was young and a customer came in 2 days after he bought a brand new car and complained about a rattle coming from the rear of the car. The mechanics kept the car for a week... everyone drove it to try to determine what was rattling/banging in the car. They even had a guy ride in the trunk to see if he could determine what was making the racket.

The dealer gave the guy another car (upgraded) and called in the big shots. They couldn't figure it out either. Then one of the big shots said cut off the quarter panels. They cut off the drivers side first because that's where it sounded like it was coming from and they found an empty 5th size bottle of Jack hanging by a string that was attached between 2 welded sections. What a scream! So ya just never know!
    Wow..yeah that's real crazy. So yesterday because I have to wait on getting a new micro switch I decided to only install dynamat behind the subs in the door, like the triangle section. It didn't take too much time or very much material but I was very satisfied with the results. On my passenger side that has never replaced, the slight outside rattle has been completely eliminated. On my drivers side door that had been replaced and where I found the extra hinge sitting inside, the dynamat completely took away the rattle on the door. Now, because the door is silent, I hear a slight very faint squeak from the mirror area. Its only noticeable when I have the stereo turned way up, but still it drives me nuts. I think if I can remove the paneling around the top of the window and put dynamat over the mirror section, this might eliminate this.

So my question is.. how do I go about removing the top trim panel. The door panel was simple but the top trim section with the weatherstripping seems like it could be more difficult to remove without ruining it. I could be being ridiculous and too worried about messing it up but has anyone removed this section, and how should I go about doing so?

Oh..and you asked about the sound difference.. It seemed to enhance the sound but I could be just making it up. When I get the time I will probably finish off the door because I have lots of left over dynamat.

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

Adding 'damping' to a speaker enclosure usually improves bass response.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.