Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Drivers Door Micro Switch Replacement "How-To" Part 2

60K views 61 replies 24 participants last post by  naturally-gassing 
#1 · (Edited)
If you are looking for the beginning of this "how-to" CLICK HERE!

3. Remove the outside handle.

Pop open the yellow linkage connector inside the door that goes from the key lock to the latch. It is far easier to do this while the housing is still screwed to the door.

The yellow linkage connector spins so make sure that the latch is spun towards you when you re-connect it for easy access should you have to disconnect it again. Disconnect the antenna wires from the housing. It is a connector that is clipped to the housing itself.
Also notice that I had just washed my car before this repair and notice the water inside the door. That’s why you don’t want to rip the rain shield.

Remove the black plug to access the angled torx screw that holds the key tumbler cover on (no pic of the plug). You will need to pull the outside door handle slightly to get it off.

DO NOT REMOVE THE SCREW FROM THE HOUSING. Screw it only far enough to get the housing off, that’s it.

If you look at the housing picture on the box you will see the angled torx screw and hopefully understand why it’s on an angle and how to get to it.

To remove the outside door handle you need to pull the handle outward half way, reach inside and hold the spring load by the black counterweight at the top, move the handle back flush with the door (unsprung), slide the handle rearward then out.
For future reference, IT DOES NOT REASSEMBLE THE SAME WAY! If you try to reassemble the same way you will break off the switch tips, requiring another housing! (don’t ask how I know)
4. Remove the housing

Once the handle is off the only thing holding the housing to the door is the outer torx screw. Remove the second screw completely. Hold the housing from the inside to keep it from falling down inside the door.
The housing itself should not be defective (unless it is physically broken) so even though you bought the whole “Housing K” assy. does not mean you have to replace the whole thing.

Just switch out the micro switches. They snap out easily. The key tumbler locking pin is a real mother to get off and back on again. (don’t ask how I know)
5. Practice re-assembly!

After it is disassembled, install the outside door handle into the housing with the old micro switches still in place as if it were on the door, to get a feel and to see how it re-assembles. Re-assembly consists of inserting the outer door handle into the forward and rearward slots of the housing, in the rearward position of the housing, flush with the housing, then snapping the handle forward. You do not need to hold the spring action counterweight to do this. The outside handle actually has a cam on it that will make the spring lever pop into position and will not touch the micro switches. Be sure to use enough white grease everywhere, that will assure smooth operation between the plastic-on-plastic action that occurs on every door opening, as you will see while you play with the 2 pieces.
6. Reassembly

This is done in reverse of the disassembly process except for the outer handle installation.

Also, when replacing the key tumbler cover you will need to apply a lot of force to the cover and apply a lot of force to the torx driver while turning the driver, otherwise the screw will miss the threaded hole of the cover.

Notice that the key tumbler is flush against the hole after it is tightened up.
Don’t forget to reinstall the black hole plug!
I hope this helps. Any additional tips are welcome. GOOD LUCK!

See less See more
#39 ·
All your info has been great. I have an additional question however......does the outside door handle have a mechanical connection tothe inside unlatching mechanism? I found some frayed wires leading to the lock mechanism and taped them but the door will still not
open from the outside.....I still have to use my key to get in. All other doors are ok. Fobs are ok. Thanks again for the help.

#47 ·
I had this problem with both front doors when I first bought the car 3.5 years ago. The dealer replaced both front door handles and it solved the problem until just recently when my passenger door stopped working again. They replaced that handle again and it's been fine since. The tech at the Cadillac dealership told me that he has never replaced micro switches, it has been handles every time. If taking everything apart anyway, I'd examine them but wouldn't necessarily spend the money on replacements. Removing the door handle isn't something I've done myself, however I believe there is a body plug that needs to come out to access a hidden screw. Something like AllData would have the answer for you. Handles are paint to match and depending on year, you'll also need the chrome insert (these inserts are surprisingly inexpensive).

#48 ·
Is it possible to buy the new door handle (or find one used) and unplug the antenna, remove it from the handle, and plug in the new antenna and possibly mount it somewhere in the door? or even in place of the existing one?

It probably wouldn't look pretty, but no one would see it and functionally it would work. To my understanding the micro switches work independently to sense the handle has been pulled so the antenna wouldn't have to be directly mounted to the door handle.

#50 ·
I just successfully used this exact post to replace my non-working handle circuit(With Micro switches). I did it one evening after purchasing the part from the local Cadillac Dealer for $125(I wanted it fixed before vacation-I bought it and put it on after work the same day.) There is a tool for removing the door panel sold at Parts stores like O'reilly or Autozone for about $7. It's pretty handy and I assure you that you will use it again sometime. I used a gasket scrapper which uses razor blades to remove the rain shield glue without tearing the shield. I was only mildly successful, the shield is brittle. IT is very helpful if you have someone else helping you do this door handle repair. Do not do it in the dark if you can help it, make sure you have a flashlight to see into dark areas.
About #5 Above-Practice for re-assembly. I had no luck getting the handle to re-assemble by sliding the handle without holding the counterweight tab out. In order to get the handle properly seated I had to reach in the door and pull the counterweight out against it's spring and let it go into the notch in the handle mechanism for it. Once I did this I was home free. I tried for about an hour to get it to slide into place on it's own, but the door panel moved too much for the spring to get actuated and the counterweight tab to seat. Pulling the tab against it's spring, pushing the handle in and then releasing the tab got everything in the right place.
As mentioned above you really must look it over and make sure you understand what needs to go into what before you go at it and brutilize anything. Don't be in a hurry as you re-assemble.
Boy will you ever be happy when it works like a charm after you're done.

#51 ·
Just replaced my passenger side switches (I replaced just the switches based on this post: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forum...12/286460-4-fix-door-handle-micro-switch.html )

Total cost was like $10, can't beat it and now the wife won't hate on my car as much.

Funny thing, I dropped my phone from like 6 inches during this (of course not this guide's fault) and the digitizer broke - $30 in parts, still worth it, lol :)

#54 ·
Hello,

my name is joerg. I´m from germany. can anyone tell me the part number of the micro-switch in the door handle me . for a Cadillac STS 2006. As the top of the photo.
Sorry for my english. ( Google Translator )

Many thanks
Jörg
See post #12 for the Housing K part numbers. If you are looking for only the micro switches there is another post that covers them.

#58 ·
Hello.
What was the reason you changed this cable, which error did you have?
I'm having trouble with my caddy - the car alarm goes on sometimes, in between, there is an alarm in SID "passenger door adjar" Sometimes it's nothing in SID, but I've got an error with a teck2 test. it says that there are errors in the driver's door swits in between.
Greatings from Denmark

#60 ·
First of all, I would like to thank Neutrocuted because he has taken the time to make such a detailed guide to changing the door lock switch.
My problem was in the passenger door and I finally got the time to change them, it took less than 2 hours to change both.
There is also a big thank you to Xakrij, who was kind enough to buy 4 switch to me in the US and send them to Denmark when the company would not trade with customers outside of the US and Canada.
My biggest problem was to remove the yellow seal material see photos
I did not have the same material so after I had changed them, I sealed them with silicone.

Textile Jeans Pattern Stitch Design

Technology Electronics Electronic device Cable Electronic component

Auto part Wire

Wire Cable Technology Electrical wiring Electronic device

#61 ·
Hi All, I have change my driver door switch too, after several research on the net order some parts here from France was not easy and expensive in delivery...
After much and much research I finally find a shop here in France and who can provide the switch (they come from Texas...)
https://eu.mouser.com/ProductDetail...5fyZmGpu6ow==&countrycode=DE&currencycode=EUR

but in few day i have received them and i order 5 switch to have a free delivery (I need to replace my passenger side too) for 65€

I need to cut some plastic shape in the door switch case to adjust the switch position and after glue them with hot glue! Works well for this door, now i need to do the same for passenger side!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.