Drivers door wont open?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Drivers door wont open? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hello fellow STS owners. This strange issue just started happening to my 2005. I pull the door handle, all doors ...
    JackG is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): sts

Drivers door wont open?

Hello fellow STS owners. This strange issue just started happening to my 2005. I pull the door handle, all doors unlock.. however the drivers door wont open. The only way I am able to get in is to put the key in, then the door opens.

What went wrong?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

jaymevb is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 sts4

Re: Drivers door wont open?

mine did this for a few days last week too and now it works. i have no idea why.

chazglenn3 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 White Diamond STS N* 1SF RWD ACC/HUD

Drivers door actuator is bad. The keyless system opens the door with an actuator. When using the key it uses a mechanical backup. Many threads here about replacing it.

Neutrocuted is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 N* 1SF HUD ACC F55 - 2008 CTS 3.6DI Premium

Mine did it intermittantly at first, then went for one whole day without issues, then wham!!! Totally broke. There are 2 micro switches in the housing inside the door. One or the other has possibly failed. But, as many have mentioned, there are a lot of different things that can go wrong with this "Rube Goldberg" system. A new "Housing K" (which is what the piece is called), is a minimum of $76 online. The worse part about it is the housing doesn't go bad, just the switches, which can be removed from the housing, but cannot be purchased without the housing!!!

This system is used in the Corvette, which is similar to the way the truck opens from the outside on the STS, squeeze the switch behind the rubber boot to release the latch. But that was to create handleless doors, so I think in that case it's a cool way to accomplish the end.

But the STS has handles! No need for electronics... except for future parts sales IMHO! ... as if these cars don't have enough crap on board to go hay-wire.

Don't get me wrong, I still love my STS... but, "DANG GM! How 'bout a break on the prices!!"

ddalder is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS-4 N* 1SG

The problem is most likely the handle assembly (switches or embedded antenna). As Rippy has mentioned, the actual release "actuator" is RARELY the problem. There are other possibilities such as the Driver Door Module or wiring, but these are by far not the common problems. Troubleshooting is possible depending on your experience and comfort level with disassembly of the door and using a multimeter. Search for threads on this topic, there are a lot of them. In one, I posted some detailed directions for another member on specific troubleshooting techniques. Sorry, I don't recall which thread off hand.

CadiSTS2005 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS V8

I seem to be having the same problems as the previous post on 4-06-11. I pull the door handle, all doors unlock, however the drivers door does not open. The only way I am able to get in is to put the key in, then the door opens.

There seems to be various replies regarding this problem, Is there a solution? Please provide me with some assistance.

Mine did the same thing, then it quit all together. There are many things that can go wrong but I believe the weakest link in the system is the micro switches in the door housing. There are 2 switches, I don't know which one does what but if 1 fails, the whole assembly needs to be replaced because the switches are epoxied together as 1 unit, and you cannot buy just the switches. You must buy the whole housing.

Hope this helps.

CadiSTS2005 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS V8

I have read that it may be the "actuator" or the "housing K". Not sure which i should look into. I know if i take it to a dealer, they will aim to get every dollar i have out of my wallet.

Follow the instructions on the post and test the housing micro switches. If they test good, you know you will have to look elsewhere. If you don't have the tools to do the test you will either have to take it to a mechanic, dealer or alternative, or use the key from now on. These car aren't cheap to maintain, that's for sure. The friggin' ash tray is over $400!

Good Luck!

AllGoNShow is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 05 Cadillac STS V6

I had the same issues, popped up on driver & passenger sides, rarely at the same time. I was always too lazy to take the panels off and start chasing so I toughed it out for a bit, finally got stuck one day outside the shop so I grabbed a bottle of electrical contact cleaner and sprayed the crap out of the slider for the handle and anywhere the nozzle would go. Surprise! It worked, door started popping again, sprayed some more and any hint of hesitation on the popper went away, has never been back since the good clean and haven't had the same problem since then (yet)

Quote Originally Posted by Neutrocuted View Post
    These car aren't cheap to maintain, that's for sure. The friggin' ash tray is over $400!

Good Luck!
    PS. Found the ashtray on a GM parts website for $90, shipping to Canada ruined it a little for me but better than $400 Not sure if I have the receipt anymore, I will look for it.

Greg00coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 05 STS

The odd thing is this problem comes and goes. Funny if it was a relay I'd think once it quit working it was done for. I too think the touchfree FOB is an overkill. Give me the old FOB push the button once and the door unlocks.

STScaddyman65 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 06 Cadillac STS-4

I did the very same thing and it has worked with no more problems, the micro switches can be cleaned by slightly pulling out on the door handle and place the cleaner "straw" into the seal and spray it down good. It works but I don't know why?.....
    Quote Originally Posted by AllGoNShow View Post
    I had the same issues, popped up on driver & passenger sides, rarely at the same time. I was always too lazy to take the panels off and start chasing so I toughed it out for a bit, finally got stuck one day outside the shop so I grabbed a bottle of electrical contact cleaner and sprayed the crap out of the slider for the handle and anywhere the nozzle would go. Surprise! It worked, door started popping again, sprayed some more and any hint of hesitation on the popper went away, has never been back since the good clean and haven't had the same problem since then (yet)

adrian1747 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 sts

Quote Originally Posted by STScaddyman65 View Post
    I did the very same thing and it has worked with no more problems, the micro switches can be cleaned by slightly pulling out on the door handle and place the cleaner "straw" into the seal and spray it down good. It works but I don't know why?.....
    Can you please upload a picture showing me exactly where to spray the door handle at, cause i tried it but it didn't work. However if i pour water over the door handle it works until it dries up.

Don't use water if you can help it! Never good for metal or electronics. I will get a picture for you once it stops raining this morning. Definitely helps with the door open sensors but won't help if your module can't detect you have a key fob (dying module or low battery on key fob). Mine can sense there is a key fob, door lights up and everything, it just won't "pop" so this is what the fix is for.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.