Drivers door wont open? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Drivers door wont open? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally Posted by AllGoNShow Don't use water if you can help it! Never good for metal or electronics. I will ...
    adrian1747 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 sts

Re: Drivers door wont open?

Quote Originally Posted by AllGoNShow View Post
    Don't use water if you can help it! Never good for metal or electronics. I will get a picture for you once it stops raining this morning. Definitely helps with the door open sensors but won't help if your module can't detect you have a key fob (dying module or low battery on key fob). Mine can sense there is a key fob, door lights up and everything, it just won't "pop" so this is what the fix is for.
    I really appreciate your help. That's exactly what my door does, it unlocks all the doors when i pull the door handle but it just wont open. Hopefully it stops raining soon.

AllGoNShow is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 05 Cadillac STS V6

Well I was going to take a picture for you but someone showed up with cash and took my car If you open your door handle, take some electrical contact cleaner, pull the handle open as far as it will go. You will be able to see the plastic tracking that the handle is sliding on, put your nozzle on your cleaner, stick it in to that track as far as it will go and let it spray for a good 10 seconds, part of it is going to be cleaning, the other part is just going to help move the debris away from the sliding area (on to your window if it is open haha ). You may have to do it once or twice or a few times over a few days to get it all, I find open/close/open/close, spray spray, open/close/open/close, spray spray, open/close go drive for a day or two and see how it goes. The pulling of the handle will also help loosen whatever is stuck in there.

Cadi D is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac STS

Hey AllGoNShow,

Really appreciate your help in solving this problem with the door. I have a 2006 STS and the drive door would not open and the other three doors would just unlock. After reading your suggestion, I went to Walmart and bought a can of the QD Electronic Cleaner and spray into the handle with holding the handle open, sprayed about 1/4 of the can using the nozzle. At the same time, I'm moving the door handle open and close several times. After about 3-4 minutes, the driver door starts to operate fine and freely and it sounded better too. I removed the small black plug above the door latch and spray cleaner in there and point it down. Next I sprayed around the latch on door and above the latch to clean out all the gunk. By then, the opener in the door was working very smooth.

You've been very helpful.
    Danny

Quote Originally Posted by Cadi D View Post
    Hey AllGoNShow,

Really appreciate your help in solving this problem with the door. I have a 2006 STS and the drive door would not open and the other three doors would just unlock. After reading your suggestion, I went to Walmart and bought a can of the QD Electronic Cleaner and spray into the handle with holding the handle open, sprayed about 1/4 of the can using the nozzle. At the same time, I'm moving the door handle open and close several times. After about 3-4 minutes, the driver door starts to operate fine and freely and it sounded better too. I removed the small black plug above the door latch and spray cleaner in there and point it down. Next I sprayed around the latch on door and above the latch to clean out all the gunk. By then, the opener in the door was working very smooth.

You've been very helpful.
    Danny
    Awesome Glad I could help out. Mine got to the same point I would say approx 10 months later, some more cleaner cleaned it right up so keep that stuff handy in your garage . Also works good on any electrical connection that you pull apart, helps keep it clean and keep debris out so if you are doing anything else electrical with connectors that your having problems with, use that stuff too .

1/4 can sounds right, I think i was approx 1/2 can by the time I was done but I was getting a little carried away to make sure it was all clean.

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

Anything worth doing is worth over-doing?

Go Cards! (Now tied!)

Quote Originally Posted by EChas3 View Post
    Anything worth doing is worth over-doing?

Go Cards! (Now tied!)
    Step away from the booze old man

scott9001 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 sts N* 1965 coupe deville

well on the topic i just bought my sts about 3 weeks ago and if u have the fob in your pocket and pull on the drivers door handle it does not unlock but do it to the passengers side it does what should i look at?

Greg00coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 05 STS

Scott, there are 2 things that seem to go wrong. IF a door does not respond at all its the antenna in the door handle. There is one in each front door handle. If went you pull the door handle and that door does not unlock but the other 3 do that indicates your antenna is working but the relays to that front door are not. That is what the spraying described about fixed. So you have a problem with the drivers door and what to look for is based on if its totally dead or the other 3 doors work. If the antenna that requires a new door handle and needs to be painted. Who designed that??? Mine is the relays.........they work off and on.

scott9001 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 sts N* 1965 coupe deville

wow greg what a quick responce maybe il look into it after work before it goes into storage for the winter thanks bud!

Greg00coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 05 STS

Scott, just curious why would you store it??? My STS is my winter car. I store a Corvette.

JackG is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): sts

THis happened to me for the one day but its been a long time now and its been fine. Actually alot of things on this car seem to fix themselves after a while

602fl is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS

Experienced the same problem with my 06 STS. Took it to the dealer and they pulled the inside door panel and the connections had some corrosion on them and the wires were frayed. Cleaned the connections and tied down the wires to prevent any further fraying. End result $73.06 and 1 hour of their time.

ambitionist is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    I'm gonna try this electrical cleaner soon, I'm having this issue with my passenger side door in which it detects the fob but won't pop or open.. The driver side works fine... Hope it fixes it

dannyquest is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 STS 99,000 miles

ambitionist, I didn't have any luck with sprays. A bad switch is just a bad switch. Sprays won't repair it.Danny

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.