06 STS Tire Size Rim Width Compatability and rim size change ABS recalibrate.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, 06 STS Tire Size Rim Width Compatability and rim size change ABS recalibrate. in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Ok, so I dented a rim on the front left just enough to where the tire wont hold air from ...
    j'scaddy06 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS

06 STS Tire Size Rim Width Compatability and rim size change ABS recalibrate.

Ok, so I dented a rim on the front left just enough to where the tire wont hold air from a pot hole. The dealer is asking too much for a new rim and I don't really want a single new rim and 3 with normal wear and it was almost time for new tires anyway. So I decided to use the chance to step up to 19" from the stock 18" and to reinstal the TPMS that some jacka** was kind enough to remove when puting on the last set of tires.

The recommended tire size for my car as per cadillac is 235/50ZR18 Front and 255/45ZR18 Rear. When ordering the TPMS from the dealer informing him of my dilema they brought up some issues about changing rim sizes and how it affects the ABS and that you have to get it recalibrated if that model of car can even be done? (apparently some cant be recal)

So I found the rims I want with keeping in mind I wanted rims to be on all year and I live in NE Ohio, plus I didnt want to compromise the ride by that much if any. http://www.wheelsnext.com/wheels-rim...persilver.html
    The 19" rims are only 8" wide and one of the issues I am facing is that I want to run 255/40ZR19 on the rear but none of the tires that size say they will fit a rim as small as 8" wide and recommend size is 8.5"-10". Is it possible to fit those tires on the rim safely or will the tire place even consider doing it? The 235/45ZR19 Front fit 8" rim and they do have a 245/40ZR19 that will fit the 8" but I would like to keep the 255 on the rear as I need all the extra help I can get in the heavy snow that my area gets.

Also if I have a none dealership place install the TPMS when putting the tires on is there anything I need to have them do so that I can calibrate it myself? I've read how to do it and it didnt seem overly complicated to where I feel I need to pay 40-50$ for someone else to do it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

C&C
    C&C is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac STS (2011)

Re: 06 STS Tire Size Rim Width Compatability and rim size change ABS recalibrate.

The ABS and Stabilitrak doesn't care how wide your tires are, it cares what the diameter of the tire is. If you replace wheel sizes you have to match the overall diameter (so the computer can calculate how far it is going with tire rotation). You mention that you don't want to compromise ride, well then, you should probably want to stay with the same diameter wheel (though a one inch probably wouldn't reduce ride quality much). However your logic on snow control actually gets worse with wider tires, so again, the 18's would be better than the wider 19's (here again, not by much).

Re: 06 STS Tire Size Rim Width Compatability and rim size change ABS recalibrate.

The 19X8 aren't wider than my stock 18X8 and im hoping 18->19 wont comproise it by "much". Also I used some silly tire size calculator and because i went down on the side wall size on each tire and up only an inch that they might be within the limits of the change allowed I think. The dealer said something like .5 difference allowed.

235/50/18-> 235/45/19 Front
    255/45/18-> 255/40/19 Rear
    http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCal...?action=submit
    This site says to stay within 3% or you can suffer brake failure and its way within limits by that.

So narrower tires are better for snow dammit it's either better snow traction and not as good summer traction. Or nope that the tires I want do better in the snow then the ones I have. :/

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.