Warranty is ending soon
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Warranty is ending soon in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; My Cadillac is done 74,000 km (46,000 miles) and the warrantly will end soon because of 5 year time limit, ...
    Cadillac_STS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac STS V8 RWD

Warranty is ending soon

My Cadillac is done 74,000 km (46,000 miles) and the warrantly will end soon because of 5 year time limit, not the milage.

I have had the dealer do the 80,000 km service on the car, I was wondering what other things I should ask them to check before the warranty will expire.

I am worried mainly about the transmission but I have no idea how to simulate trouble or fault, any other things I should complain about?

I had them, change:

2 TPMS
    Water Pump
    Spark Plugs
    Brakes
    A/C air filter

Your suggestions are appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Lifer is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac STS 1SG, 2001 Cadillac Eldorado ETC

Re: Warranty is ending soon

My 06 STS v8 has three hundred miles to go until the warranty is kaput. Last week the dealership replaced the thermostat and water pump - said they might have detected a very minor leak, so it was changed.

Today it is back to the dealer because the cruise will not engage when I press the button on the stalk. Thy asked if the CE light was on, as this disables the cruise. No. Then it may be a brake switch or something else. It worked in December.

I do wish to state that this STS remains flawless, comfortable, shiny, clean; it is a solid, well-built car, and I have had very little problems since day one (a few miles on it) It was built Oct 05 but was sold as new until 5/07. If you take care of it, it will last a long time.

SlickCityStan is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS V6-1SC

have you checked on getting an extended warranty? There aresome available either through GM or aftermarket.

BaTu is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '05 STS4

Yea, why wouldn't you Re-Up?

NOW's when you're REALLY gonna need it!

KRSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Crystal Red 2008 3.6 DI RWD

I am worried mainly about the transmission but I have no idea how to simulate trouble or fault, any other things I should complain about?

What do you mean "simulate trouble or fault"? Are you asking how to make a dealer believe there is something wrong with your transmission so he will replace under warranty?

Quote Originally Posted by KRSTS View Post

What do you mean "simulate trouble or fault"? Are you asking how to make a dealer believe there is something wrong with your transmission so he will replace under warranty?
    What I really meant: is to push the transmission thorugh tough points to show if there is in fact a problem with it. not to scam the dealer.

What is worrying me, is the shift from 2nd to 3rd, when I increase the speed from 20-40km/h, and let go of the throttle I hear a thumb, I guess this is 3rd gear engaging or the TC locking. It happens especialy in the morning when I just started and drove the car. How can you tell if the transmission is bad?

chazglenn3 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 White Diamond STS N* 1SF RWD ACC/HUD

Well, I have only had my '05 STS for a couple of weeks, but if the transmission is anywhere near as tough as the 4T-80E that is in my '00 STS I would say that failures are very rare. That thump you are feeling sounds like some kind of slack in the driveline to me.

KRSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Crystal Red 2008 3.6 DI RWD

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac_STS View Post
    What I really meant: is to push the transmission thorugh tough points to show if there is in fact a problem with it. not to scam the dealer.

What is worrying me, is the shift from 2nd to 3rd, when I increase the speed from 20-40km/h, and let go of the throttle I hear a thumb, I guess this is 3rd gear engaging or the TC locking. It happens especialy in the morning when I just started and drove the car. How can you tell if the transmission is bad?
    Sorry. If there really is a problem, by all means get it taken care while the car is still under warranty. I would take it to an independent mechanic I really trust to get an opinion. Then you can go to the dealer prepared,

Quote Originally Posted by Lifer View Post
    My 06 STS v8 has three hundred miles to go until the warranty is kaput. Last week the dealership replaced the thermostat and water pump - said they might have detected a very minor leak, so it was changed.

Today it is back to the dealer because the cruise will not engage when I press the button on the stalk. Thy asked if the CE light was on, as this disables the cruise. No. Then it may be a brake switch or something else. It worked in December.

I do wish to state that this STS remains flawless, comfortable, shiny, clean; it is a solid, well-built car, and I have had very little problems since day one (a few miles on it) It was built Oct 05 but was sold as new until 5/07. If you take care of it, it will last a long time.
    I love the car too and I believe it is strong, my water pump was replaced too 2 months ago, when the car had 70,000 km on it. It looks like this is the lifespan of the water pump, it fails around 70 k. I think the TPMS fail around the same time because they replaced 2 already, I feel the remaining too will fail soon as well.

I am trying to get extended warranty from the dealer, but I am not sure if they will offer it. I think they will offer services only, like oil change etc... but not warranty on the parts such as Engine and Transmission.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.