Tpms - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Tpms in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; A service director friend of mine told me that filling tires with nitrogen has a lot of advantages. First is ...
    Neutrocuted is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 N* 1SF HUD ACC F55 - 2008 CTS 3.6DI Premium

Re: Tpms

A service director friend of mine told me that filling tires with nitrogen has a lot of advantages. First is the fact that you will not experience the fluxuation in pressure caused by temperature changes and second is that it almost completely eliminates internal corrosion, including corrosion between the rim and the tire.

Of course, he does work for the dealership and you can always tell when they are lying... their mouth is moving! (just a joke guys!)

But it makes sense I think. Oxygen I believe causes oxidation, which causes corrosion. Isn't that how it works?

malatu is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS 3.6 AWD

Quote Originally Posted by Neutrocuted View Post
    A service director friend of mine told me that filling tires with nitrogen has a lot of advantages. First is the fact that you will not experience the fluxuation in pressure caused by temperature changes and second is that it almost completely eliminates internal corrosion, including corrosion between the rim and the tire.

Of course, he does work for the dealership and you can always tell when they are lying... their mouth is moving! (just a joke guys!)

But it makes sense I think. Oxygen I believe causes oxidation, which causes corrosion. Isn't that how it works?
    There is some legitimacy to the advantages of nitrogen, although, I'm not convinced it's worth it. The main disadvantage to me is the access to ready available nitrogen. I find it greatly convenient having the air compressor in my garage at my disposal. Where do you go to get nitrogen?

chazglenn3 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 White Diamond STS N* 1SF RWD ACC/HUD

My local Costco fills the tires they sell with nitrogen.

malatu is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS 3.6 AWD

Quote Originally Posted by chazglenn3 View Post
    My local Costco fills the tires they sell with nitrogen.
    I guess that's my point. I don't want to go back to Costco every time I need to put air (nitrogen) in a tire. To me, having to do that would greatly diminish any value nitrogen offers.

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

Air is almost 80% Nitrogen. Don't worry about it.

Neutrocuted is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 N* 1SF HUD ACC F55 - 2008 CTS 3.6DI Premium

He sells it at his dealership for about $10 a tire and offered it to me for free... I took a pass. Air's been workin' out real good for me for the past 42 years, why change now??!!!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.