Battery Tender Plus Install
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Battery Tender Plus Install in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; OK, Did a search and though this subject (under float charger) came up, I have a slightly different wrinkle, and ...
    CTBB is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS N* 1SF

Battery Tender Plus Install

OK, Did a search and though this subject (under float charger) came up, I have a slightly different wrinkle, and I'm looking for help. I replaced the battery in my '05 under a year ago with a quality piece from Auto Zone. As I use the car primarily for long distance travel, preferring to drive more economical transport around town, I've found it necessary to recharge the battery 2X now, after not driving her for 10 days or more. I purchased a quality tender and wish to use the leads with a ring terminal on the ends to permanently wire it up to the battery, to avoid having to remove the engine shield every time I plug it in, and hanging alligator clips on the side terminals seems rather flaky. Herein lies my problem.

The factory battery leads with plastic covers make it impossible to attach the ring terminals under the connection. I fabbed up some right-angle bars of flattened 1/2" copper tubing, drilled appropriate sized holes and was hoping to slip them onto the battery terminal bolts, leaving a tab at the top pointing forward, allowing me to nut & bolt the ring terminals securely under the engine shield. This short tender cord (approx 24") ends in a weather-proof rubber flat plug with rubber cover that I would leave exposed near the hood strut for easy access. To my dismay I find the bolts on the battery leads are so short they will not accommodate the thickness (approx 1/8") of the copper bars. To further complicate finding a hardware solution, these bolts are "captive" on the battery leads, preventing any substitution of slightly longer bolts.

Has anyone else encountered this, and if so, what was your solution? Am I stuck using alligator clip connection and removing the dust shield every time?
    Apologies for the long explanation.

Glenn

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: Battery Tender Plus Install

Gee folks, 102 views and no suggestions, or experience with this. I thought we had some Cadillac techs on here that might be able to help.

Glenn

rzambrano is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac STS

Its not a typical topic. Your turning your Caddy into and electric vehicle sort to speak by having to "plug it in". If you are worried about the battery losing its charges over long periods of downtime, simply disconnect it.

chazglenn3 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 White Diamond STS N* 1SF RWD ACC/HUD

Yeah...I have never installed a battery tender on anything other than my motorcycles.

Quote Originally Posted by rzambrano View Post
    Its not a typical topic. Your turning your Caddy into and electric vehicle sort to speak by having to "plug it in". If you are worried about the battery losing its charges over long periods of downtime, simply disconnect it.
    Not sure where you get the "electric vehicle" reference, but disconnecting & reconnecting the battery involves getting under the engine cover and wrenching, versus my desire for a simple plug/unplug process when I wish to store/drive the car. Obviously not a huge deal but inconvenient. I'm also just stubborn enough to want to overcome the obstacle presented by the designers.
    Same issue :How does one wire up a trailer hitch, which I also plan to do? Or an external amp, just to name a few? Thanks for your response.

Glenn

rzambrano is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac STS

I got the electric vehicle things as sort of a metaphor, by having to charge it at home. Nevertheless, I do not have any other suggestions.

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

Charge it through a cigarette lighter power outlet.

Really? I've seen AAA use a cigarette lighter plug device to keep memory, etc powered when replacing a battery, but never seen one to float-charge. I'll take a look for one. Thanks!

Glenn

Well, I'll be ....! Right there on Amazon, page 2 !! Thanks again EChas3.

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

No warranty expressed or implied

The STS lighter/power outlets are not 'switched' and I don't think they are in the Inadvertent Power Battery Saver circuit. I think it would work.

I should know soon. Just ordered one, and a 12.5 ft extension cord. Here's hopin'.

Glenn

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.