$9500 for a 2005 STS
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, $9500 for a 2005 STS in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; A friend of my Mom's is selling her 2005 STS V6 with 123,400 miles. The Lady is the original owner ...
    HiYall is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS V6

$9500 for a 2005 STS

A friend of my Mom's is selling her 2005 STS V6 with 123,400 miles. The Lady is the original owner and the car is in near mint condition. It has all options including NAV ....minus HUD and Adaptive cruise. I am seriously thinking about buying it. The car was her daily driver and was used to commute 90 miles. New tires & rear brakes were install last month.

I drove it today and it drives beautifully except for a little bit of vibration in the steering at speeds over 45mph. The lady told me that when she had the new tires installed the guys told her that her rear wheel was slightly bent from hitting a pothole or something.

So, is $9500 a good deal? Or, am I looking at a money pit with this high of mileage?

Also, looking through the records I didn't see any mention of:
    1. Transmission service
    2. Timing chain
    3. Spark Plugs

Thanks,
    Tracy

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

chazglenn3 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 White Diamond STS N* 1SF RWD ACC/HUD

Re: $9500 for a 2005 STS

Sounds like a damned good deal to me...

mbnv992 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 STS4 V8 (sold), 2005 STS V6 1SC

My mom just paid $11,900 for her 2005 V6 STS fully loaded (1SC) with 112,000 miles. One owner, all service 100% done (sparks, tranny flush, etc.).

So, I think that's an OK deal.

KRSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Crystal Red 2008 3.6 DI RWD

Priced about right

turnne is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac STS

Quote Originally Posted by KRSTS View Post
    Priced about right
    Agreed

A Cadillac with over 100K is at the bottom of its value....the market does not trust a high mileage Caddy

That being said...its priced right ...but remember if it hasn't been maintained...a few repairs and some maintenance updates could cost you 30-40% of what you paid for the car

Warren

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

I tend to agree with Warren on this car. With that many miles, condition can vary widely. You don't really know the source of that vibration. These are expensive cars to fix. It sounds like it wasn't all that well maintained. Without a warranty, you have substantial risk.

Even if it's spotless inside and out, it's still got the least available power and the mileage isn't much better than the 320HP N* (excepting maybe pure highway driving). If it looks really good to you, that could be an attractive price.

Personally, I'd wait for a V8. They cost about the same and I feel the power is easily worth the small price of lower mileage. I would like to drive one of the DI V6 equipped cars, but I'm glad to have a N*. My wife's 2007 is nice but I love my 1SG w' ACC & HUD.

Greg00coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 05 STS

Take it somewhere and get it checked out. For $200 everyone will have peace of mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg00coupe View Post
    Take it somewhere and get it checked out. For $200 everyone will have peace of mind.
    A good idea
    BUT...even if everything checks out pretty good you still are susceptible to things going at that age and mileage

For instance...if the car has Mag ride and there are issues with that...or electrical issues etc

A Cadillac with those miles..unless you can do work yourself and get junkyard parts..or have already replaced a tons of parts scares me

The cost to fix the car can be a significant portion of what the car is worth

Warren

Quote Originally Posted by turnne View Post
    A good idea
    BUT...even if everything checks out pretty good you still are susceptible to things going at that age and mileage

For instance...if the car has Mag ride and there are issues with that...or electrical issues etc

A Cadillac with those miles..unless you can do work yourself and get junkyard parts..or have already replaced a tons of parts scares me

Warren
    You need to find a good independent mechanic...... don't go to Cadillac. Go to NAPA and ask them who they recommend. This car has lot of life left. BTW there is an old saying and I believe it....... all you find in a junk yard is junk. Don't go there. Good luck

Jesda is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): An endless stream of Sevilles.

Quote Originally Posted by turnne View Post
    A good idea

Warren
    ^^Good advice.

You need to find a good independent mechanic...... don't go to Cadillac. Go to NAPA and ask them who they recommend. This car has lot of life left. BTW there is an old saying and I believe it....... all you find in a junk yard is junk. Don't go there. Good luck
    Interesting thought
    The only issue is...and perhaps this plays to what you say can be found in the junkyard...there are a lot of clean Caddy's in the junkyard that have had HG issues

So depending on what you call junk....

I think its just a matter of the value of the cars..or lack of

The average person is not going to pour more money into a car than it is worth

Warren

Isn't it great how each of us sees things different? I'll admit I'm an Accounting Nerd so here's how I look at it. I buy a 3 y/o STS off lease for $24K that has a $62K sticker. I know no one pays $62K ( I hope). So in my mind I've "saved" $38K. Now if the car is a lemon I can dump it for lets say $20K. I've lost $4K. I can do that 9 times before I've use up the $38K.

Now assume I take a risk and buy this car for $9.5K. How much money am I willing to spend IF it needs any major repairs? Let's say $5K? But I still have $15K into a car that stickered for maybe $50K?

I'd take the risk expecially if I only put low miles on it.

To each their own and good luck!!!

Jesda is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): An endless stream of Sevilles.

While I'm not a CPA, I also make decisions with Excel.

MacMuse is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS N* 1SE

Isn't it great how each of us sees things different? I'll admit I'm an Accounting Nerd so here's how I look at it. I buy a 3 y/o STS off lease for $24K that has a $62K sticker. I know no one pays $62K ( I hope). So in my mind I've "saved" $38K. Now if the car is a lemon I can dump it for lets say $20K. I've lost $4K. I can do that 9 times before I've use up the $38K.
    Sounds like my wife talking about how much she "saved" at the department store sale on items she would not have otherwise purchased. The flaw with this analysis is that anyone looking at a used luxury car is not deciding between a new luxury car at full price and the used one - they're comparing a used luxury car to a new compact car at the same initial investment ($24K in this example). The "$38K" never existed to be viewed as a savings. It was never on the table to be spent in the first place. You should be evaluating a used luxury car with potentially HIGH maintenance costs v. a new entry level car with years of warranty and possibly included maintenance coverage.

I took the risk on the used luxury car only because it also had GM's CPO coverage out to 100K miles. My dealer has charged over $5,000 in service repairs to that CPO. I won the short term bet, but I don't have high hopes of riding this car long past the end of my payment plan.

Now assume I take a risk and buy this car for $9.5K. How much money am I willing to spend IF it needs any major repairs? Let's say $5K? But I still have $15K into a car that stickered for maybe $50K?

I'd take the risk expecially if I only put low miles on it.

To each their own and good luck!!!
    Yes..I guess so
    Because that 38K that you saved in your mind is just that....in your mind

Granted you get a used car that is significantly less than anything with the same features...HOWEVER..understand it is what it is and that the money that will need to put into it will be at retail and will have no bearing on what the car will actually be valued at

So if you have 15K in a $9500 car( with repairs)..its still a $9500 car...the needed repairs only subtract from value not add to it

Kind of like...putting a 50K kitchen remodel in house in a not so desirable neighborhood...granted it may look great and you may love it

But ...if its in not in the right neighborhood it really has little bearing on the houses relative resale

Warren

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.