$9500 for a 2005 STS - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, $9500 for a 2005 STS in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Thanks for your input everyone. I bought the car yesterday and really love it. The only thing that concerns me ...
    HiYall is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS V6

Re: $9500 for a 2005 STS

Thanks for your input everyone. I bought the car yesterday and really love it. The only thing that concerns me is a vibration between 40 and 70mph.
    I had the tires rebalanced today and one of the rear wheels is slightly bent. I am hoping that is the cause of the vibration. Next week I plan on having the transmission serviced and the coolant flushed. Any other suggestions for a car with 123k miles? Thanks again! Tracy

chazglenn3 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 White Diamond STS N* 1SF RWD ACC/HUD

Unless you are sure the wheel is bent, a Hunter road force alignment could fix the vibration.

HiYall is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS V6

The guys at the tire shop called me out to show me how the wheel was jumping around on the balancing machine. So, yes the wheel is bent but the said I probably wouldn't be able to feel it. I live in Nor. Cal and go to Les Schwab Tires. I don't know if they have Hunter road force alignments here.

alexillac is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): STS

Hey guys, what about 'no risk no fun..?' At least it's a caddy and can be pure fun to drive....
    I know, that was the least logical argument, but....

alexillac is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): STS

Sorry, juts realised that you already bought the car. So congratulations and have fun!

turnne is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac STS

Quote Originally Posted by HiYall View Post
    The guys at the tire shop called me out to show me how the wheel was jumping around on the balancing machine. So, yes the wheel is bent but the said I probably wouldn't be able to feel it. I live in Nor. Cal and go to Les Schwab Tires. I don't know if they have Hunter road force alignments here.

I had a bent wheel issue as well a while back

Found one at a junkyard for about 20% of what a new factory replacement was

Warren

Frikiton is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Greg00coupe View Post
    Isn't it great how each of us sees things different? I'll admit I'm an Accounting Nerd so here's how I look at it. I buy a 3 y/o STS off lease for $24K that has a $62K sticker. I know no one pays $62K ( I hope). So in my mind I've "saved" $38K. Now if the car is a lemon I can dump it for lets say $20K. I've lost $4K. I can do that 9 times before I've use up the $38K.

Now assume I take a risk and buy this car for $9.5K. How much money am I willing to spend IF it needs any major repairs? Let's say $5K? But I still have $15K into a car that stickered for maybe $50K?

I'd take the risk expecially if I only put low miles on it.

To each their own and good luck!!!
    Well said !!!

Quote Originally Posted by HiYall View Post
    A friend of my Mom's is selling her 2005 STS V6 with 123,400 miles. The Lady is the original owner and the car is in near mint condition. It has all options including NAV ....minus HUD and Adaptive cruise. I am seriously thinking about buying it. The car was her daily driver and was used to commute 90 miles. New tires & rear brakes were install last month.

I drove it today and it drives beautifully except for a little bit of vibration in the steering at speeds over 45mph. The lady told me that when she had the new tires installed the guys told her that her rear wheel was slightly bent from hitting a pothole or something.

So, is $9500 a good deal? Or, am I looking at a money pit with this high of mileage?

Also, looking through the records I didn't see any mention of:
    1. Transmission service
    2. Timing chain
    3. Spark Plugs

Thanks,
    Tracy
    Go for it , I bought a STS 06 1SC V6 with 117k & water flood damage on christmas. Insurance had paid the last owner $17,000 and I got it off the Insurance Auction for $5,700 after repairs = 7,500 roughly

There's nobody with a black on black 2006 Cadillac STS 1SC 119k now in my neighborhood

Greg00coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 05 STS

I guess I'm not a smart as some of you.......... I got a now 6 y/o STS that looks and runs brand new......Paid $24K for a $62K sticker that someone paid for. I did not save $38K???? I guess with the logic the original owner did not pay $40K+ to drive the car 32,000 miles.

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

MSRP means little on cars that were so heavily discounted when new. Likewise, what someone else paid has no real bearing on your cost. The risk in a retitled car is factored into the fair market price.

Bottom line is always a matter of whether the deal feels right to the buyer. Power to the purchasers. Congratulations to all!

Quote Originally Posted by Greg00coupe View Post
    I guess I'm not a smart as some of you.......... I got a now 6 y/o STS that looks and runs brand new......Paid $24K for a $62K sticker that someone paid for. I did not save $38K???? I guess with the logic the original owner did not pay $40K+ to drive the car 32,000 miles.
    what?

First off you realize the cars are HEAVILY discounted when new...the stickers are not worth the paper they are written on
    And they also had give away( heavily subsidized by GM) leases...so it created a flux of 3 year old cars that went for 30% of sticker when they were returned from lease

Think about what the car actually is worth

Next
    The first owner..no matter what he paid or leased it for..had a brand new car
    You don't.....if that matters to you or not it has a lot to do with what the car is worth

And for the car with flood damage...that is a roll of the dice

There are many on here that don't even like to think about one of these without a warranty

You have taken it to another level..of risk

And you have to keep in mind..no matter what happens ...the value of the car is seriously downgraded because of its history

Warren

jimmbo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 sts

160,000km(100,000 miles) these days is nothing. Even my 86 Fleetwood Brougham had over half million km(300,000 miles) with no work to the powertain, using cheap nonsynthetic oil. Then again it had an Olds engine not a Cadillac.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmbo View Post
    160,000km(100,000 miles) these days is nothing. Even my 86 Fleetwood Brougham had over half million km(300,000 miles) with no work to the powertain, using cheap nonsynthetic oil. Then again it had an Olds engine not a Cadillac.
    100,000 miles 10 years ago was nothing

Even for a luxury car with a lot of amenities..including a V8

There are many 90's vintage Lexus LS400 V8's rolling around with over 200K on the clock...and still worth a few $$..relatively speaking

In the non luxury realm...there have been Camry's and Accords etc doing 200K for at least 20 years

Its easy to find either of those in the marketplace with that type of age and mileage

Warren

Frikiton is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Can we warranty on these vehicles with salvage title?

Quote Originally Posted by Frikiton View Post
    Can we warranty on these vehicles with salvage title?
    Very doubtful...or the cost to do so ..if you could get an insurer to do it...is astronomical

Warren

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

Self insure at $100/mo.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.