Oil Life Indicator in the STS - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Oil Life Indicator in the STS in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally Posted by RippyPartsDept yeah, in the owner's manual it will tell you what to do if you accidentally reset ...
    ddalder is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS-4 N* 1SG

Re: Oil Life Indicator in the STS

Quote Originally Posted by RippyPartsDept View Post
    yeah, in the owner's manual it will tell you what to do if you accidentally reset the monitor

i think it says get it done right away if you're over 3000 miles on the oil change or get it done at 3000 miles since the last change

the rpm and temp are the two variables... i mentioned the 'application' first since it is the major factor but it isn't a variable unless you're talking about the OLM system in general - when you're talking about a specific car the rpm and temp are the only variables that go into the algorithm
    I was referring to the system in general because in the case of our fleet vehicles we have a variety of different GM products that have an OLM. In any event, I knew where you were going with that. As for the accidental reset, our practice is to reasign a new interval of 5,000km since the last change. Our vehicles are driven hard so to sneak one in earlier than usual won't ever hurt

Subsailor613 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS RWD NAV F55 N*1SF

Cool Re: Oil Life Indicator in the STS

Thanks, RippyParts, well said !

KRSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Crystal Red 2008 3.6 DI RWD

10287 bulletin.pdf Acrobat PDF (77.17KB) 10287

CUSTOMER SATISFACTION PROGRAM
    SUBJECT: Premature Timing Chain Wear – Reprogram Engine Control Module
    MODELS: 2009 Buick Enclave
    2007-2009 Cadillac CTS, SRX, STS
    2009 Chevrolet Traverse
    2007 GMC Acadia
    2009 GMC Acadia
    2007 Saturn OUTLOOK
    2009 Saturn OUTLOOK
    Equipped with HFV6 Engine

Due to the availability of the required calibration, this program is being administered in
    phases. This first phase will include the Cadillac vehicles only. You will receive a dealer
    message when the calibration and VINs are being released for the remainder of the
    vehicles.

THIS PROGRAM IS IN EFFECT UNTIL FEBRUARY 28, 2013.

CONDITION
    On certain 2007 model year GMC Acadia; Saturn OUTLOOK; 2007-2009 model year Cadillac
    CTS, SRX, STS; 2009 model year Buick Enclave; Chevrolet Traverse; GMC Acadia; and Saturn
    OUTLOOK vehicles equipped with a HFV6 engine, under certain driving conditions, and with
    extended oil change intervals, the timing chain could wear prematurely and cause the
    illumination of the Service Engine Soon light.

CORRECTION
    Dealers are to reprogram the engine control module, including the engine oil life monitor.
    which in most cases will recommend more frequent oil changes.

So much for the GM OLM algorthm. They don't seemed to be too concerned about the premature timing chain wear, just that the Service Engine Soon light comes on. They are probably doing the reprogram so that it will extend the life of the chain a couple more years, so that you are out of the warranty period when it does finally crap out. I'm sure glad now that I have changed my oil every 5000 - 6000 miles anyway. Hopefully my ZDDP didn't get too low.

I don't know that it's fair to say the OLM is at fault here. In the big picture, this seems to be a fairly limited problem. Perhaps with the affected units a different vendor manufactured some of the internal engine parts. Perhaps some of the material was not to GM's spec. Who knows? Increasing oil changes to compensate for what should not have occurred may be their best (corporate) was of dealing with it. I wouldn't recommend jumping to conclusions from a service bulletin as to the true scope about what brought this action. The OLM has been around for at least 11 years that I'm aware of (perhaps even longer) and I'm not aware that wide-spread problems have occurred as a result of its use.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

OLM was developed in the 80's and introduced in the 90's

if you just glossed over that long blockquote of text that i posted go back and read it in full
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

OLM was developed in the 80's and introduced in the 90's

if you just glossed over that long blockquote of text that i posted go back and read it in full
    Went back read it again, what specifically are you getting at?

KRSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Crystal Red 2008 3.6 DI RWD

Quote Originally Posted by ddalder View Post
    I don't know that it's fair to say the OLM is at fault here. In the big picture, this seems to be a fairly limited problem. Perhaps with the affected units a different vendor manufactured some of the internal engine parts. Perhaps some of the material was not to GM's spec. Who knows? Increasing oil changes to compensate for what should not have occurred may be their best (corporate) was of dealing with it. I wouldn't recommend jumping to conclusions from a service bulletin as to the true scope about what brought this action. The OLM has been around for at least 11 years that I'm aware of (perhaps even longer) and I'm not aware that wide-spread problems have occurred as a result of its use.
    Perhaps I was too hasty in judging the OLM. I am a cynic by nature so here's my take:
    I think that only certain VINs within certain MYs are affected due to installation of faulty timing chains. In turn , it seems that optimal lubrication via more frequent oil changes, is necessary to keep the engines that were outfitted with the inferior chains from developing stretched chains. I guess that this is really a chain issue rather than an engine design issue or a bad OLM and that it is easier and less costly for GM to recalibrate the OLM and ECM than to replace the bad chains. This is a band aid fix to help GM avoid covering alot of $3000+ chain repair jobs i.e. Toyota floor mats?

Quote Originally Posted by KRSTS View Post
    Perhaps I was too hasty in judging the OLM. I am a cynic by nature so here's my take:
    I think that only certain VINs within certain MYs are affected due to installation of faulty timing chains. In turn , it seems that optimal lubrication via more frequent oil changes, is necessary to keep the engines that were outfitted with the inferior chains from developing stretched chains. I guess that this is really a chain issue rather than an engine design issue or a bad OLM and that it is easier and less costly for GM to recalibrate the OLM and ECM than to replace the bad chains. This is a band aid fix to help GM avoid covering alot of $3000+ chain repair jobs i.e. Toyota floor mats?
    I think you see what I'm getting at. If a part or parts were made a marginally "heavier" to compensate for a lesser grade material, there may be more surface contact points resulting in a more rapid depletion of ZDP. The same may apply if a part wasn't machined to spec. I'm definitely not a metallurgist but this seems to make sense. Just a theory.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

Quote Originally Posted by ddalder View Post
    Went back read it again, what specifically are you getting at?
    i wasn't really talking to you since you read it already...

i was just making sure that anyone who came upon this thread and pulled a 'tl; dr' would stop and go back and take the time to fully understand the OLM system
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

i wasn't really talking to you since you read it already...

i was just making sure that anyone who came upon this thread and pulled a 'tl; dr' would stop and go back and take the time to fully understand the OLM system
    Ah, sorry. I do tend to skim sometimes but still wondered if I was missing something. Wouldn't be the first time LOL

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.