Small light inside headlamp
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Small light inside headlamp in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I have one of the small bulbs out and was wondering do I need to remove the whole assembly to ...
    torogt is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS 4 V8 White Diamond Pearl 1SG

Small light inside headlamp

I have one of the small bulbs out and was wondering do I need to remove the whole assembly to change just this one bulb?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Neutrocuted is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS 3.6 - Totaled! 2006 STS4 N* 1SF HUD ACC F55

Re: Small light inside headlamp

Quote Originally Posted by torogt View Post
    I have one of the small bulbs out and was wondering do I need to remove the whole assembly to change just this one bulb?
    Pull the front bumper and grill off (not an easy task). If you decide to do this yourself remember that the 4 nuts that hold the bumper to the fenders are tighteners that hold sliders. these sliders will slide forward to a slot that will allow the bumper assy to come off... after you remove all of the plastic clips that hold the fairings onto the frame. This will give you access to the headlight capsule.

KRSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Crystal Red 2008 3.6 DI RWD

Its a big job. Once you have the bumper and grill of you might as well repace all the bulbs

06 STS Rob is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 08 STS V, had 06 V6 STS

LED upgrade while your in there? My small bulbs go out and if I tap on the light, they come back on... I was wondering how to get them out as well. Glad you asked.

Quote Originally Posted by 06 STS Rob View Post
    LED upgrade while your in there? My small bulbs go out and if I tap on the light, they come back on... I was wondering how to get them out as well. Glad you asked.
    That is so wild!!! The little light on the pass side on mine does the same thing. It goes out and when I notice I give the side of the capsule a good rap and it comes back on!

I try to do it when nobody's looking... I hate when I have a bulb out, but I feel pretty stupid when I have to smack my Caddy to get the light to come on Mine started as just the passenger side but I've noticed the driver's side doing it now as well...

Quote Originally Posted by 06 sts rob View Post
    i try to do it when nobody's looking...
    ROTFLOL ME TOO!!!

jrrsmith18 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 01 catera, 08 sts

id say if its only the small light dont take off the bumper, just unscrew the fuse box, and disconnect it. and that should give you enough room to the headlight side door just unscrew that, pull off the door and twist out the small bulb socket. just letting you know its a tight fit in there but it beats having to take off the bumper

txbest1980 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS "Ebony Maria" 2005 Cadillac STS "Grace"

i might be wrong here because i have never done this on my STS, but on the CTS guys turn there wheels all the way to one side where they can get more room in there, pop the fender liner off and then you have plenty of room to swap that bulb out...once again, i have never done this to my STS yet, but it seems legit to me and easy enough as i have done this on the CTS

CaddyLackerz is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by Neutrocuted View Post
    That is so wild!!! The little light on the pass side on mine does the same thing. It goes out and when I notice I give the side of the capsule a good rap and it comes back on!
    Hey, my passenger side light has to be tapped frequently too. What the...????

parker34 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS-V and 2003 Escalade, 2005 STS4 1sg (sold)

My passenger side fog light wasn't working so I just went out there and tried tapping on it and it came on!! But where is the best place to get the small lights in the headlamp...i want led's

chazglenn3 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 White Diamond STS N* 1SF RWD ACC/HUD

So, just what is the point of this little bulb anyway?

ddalder is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS-4 N* 1SG

Quote Originally Posted by txbest1980 View Post
    i might be wrong here because i have never done this on my STS, but on the CTS guys turn there wheels all the way to one side where they can get more room in there, pop the fender liner off and then you have plenty of room to swap that bulb out...once again, i have never done this to my STS yet, but it seems legit to me and easy enough as i have done this on the CTS
    Are you talking about the signal light on the side of the fender just behind the wheel? If so, what you suggest will work. The lamp in this thread is actually inside the headlamp assembly. To gain access you need to remove an access panel on the assembly. I've never done it either, but looking at the diagrams and photos, I can't see being able to use the method you're suggesting for the bulb in question. Again, no first hand experience with this one so it's just an opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by chazglenn3 View Post
    So, just what is the point of this little bulb anyway?
    I believe it's just a "parking" light...
    Does anyone have any ideas as to why this is happening? Maybe a bad relay or something... The WIERD thing about mine is, when the little bulb on the driverside started doing this as well, I found that giving it a tap would make both passenger and driver lights come back on WTH???? That's what's making me believe there's more to it than just a loose bulb.

ddalder is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS-4 N* 1SG

I've seen many, many bulbs over the years that react this way. Depending on how the element fractures (one location only), tapping it can resestablish the connection temporarily. It still has to be replaced because... well, it's in essence "burned out". If the element is broken in two or more places you'll never be able to get it to light up again. Hitting the bulb always used to be the trick when the old sealed beam headlamps went out until you could get a replacement.

Most bulbs have a similar life expectancy so when one burns out, the one on the opposite side often isn't far behind.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.