05 STS Drivers Door lock issue - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, 05 STS Drivers Door lock issue in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; if i had to guess i would say it's the handle (or rather the microswitches in the handle) but ddadler's ...
    RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

Re: 05 STS Drivers Door lock issue

if i had to guess i would say it's the handle (or rather the microswitches in the handle) but ddadler's steps above should determine it for you
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

ddalder is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS-4 N* 1SG

Quote Originally Posted by RippyPartsDept View Post
    if i had to guess i would say it's the handle (or rather the microswitches in the handle) but ddadler's steps above should determine it for you
    I will be very surprised if I find out it isn`t the handle assembly. I`m not sure if the switches they use are sealed or not so it may even be corrosion on their contacts due to water intrusion.

I did add some additional information in my last post since you added yours.

yeah we haven't seen a lot of these problems but just about every one ends up being the handle
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Quote Originally Posted by RippyPartsDept View Post
    yeah we haven't seen a lot of these problems but just about every one ends up being the handle
    I just had my car serviced under warranty. In my case, it was the antenna in each handle. The switches worked fine but they had to replace both outside assemblies. Now my passive keyless entry works.

yeah either the switch or the antenna is usually the problem... either way it's a handle

swangin50 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS

These are the wires from the handle, orange, grey, green, yellow white, blue.
    Attached Images

Okay I figured it out. The colors your refering to is on the other harness. Not on the one going to the handle. Anyways here is what I did..
    Unplugged harness, checked 3 and 4 and also checked 5 and 6, all had continuity.
    Plugged it back in and checked the corresponding wires coming out of the harness going back to the handle and got nothing. Pull handle, still got nothing.

So I guess I have a bad handle assembly?

Greg00coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 05 STS

When I had my problem I looked at everything in the door and it looked good just from the visual. This probably is a bad idea but I sprayed down a lot of these components with WD 40. You know I figured what the heck......... About a month later the problems went away. Why? Who knows? It's been 4 months now w/o a problem. I still expect it to return and at that point I will take everything apart in the door and use an electronic spray. I'm guessing I have a bad connection somewhere and the WD fixed it somehow someway...........????

Quote Originally Posted by Greg00coupe View Post
    When I had my problem I looked at everything in the door and it looked good just from the visual. This probably is a bad idea but I sprayed down a lot of these components with WD 40. You know I figured what the heck......... About a month later the problems went away. Why? Who knows? It's been 4 months now w/o a problem. I still expect it to return and at that point I will take everything apart in the door and use an electronic spray. I'm guessing I have a bad connection somewhere and the WD fixed it somehow someway...........????
    Yikes! I would not make it a habit to spray these connectors etc. with WD-40. First of all, if you were able to access switch contacts, there are special electronic contact cleaners that should be used. These will clean and lubricate the contacts with agents made for electronic environments. Secondly, most of the seals used in these sealed connector assemblies have self-lubricating properties to ensure they remain soft and sealed against their mating surfaces. I can't guarantee that WD-40 will not degrade the connector and wire seals causing you even more problems down the road. WD-40 won't evaporate like a true electrical contact cleaner/lubricant and will attract fine debris creating more problems. My opinion is that WD-40 should never be used in this application.

Quote Originally Posted by swangin50 View Post
    Okay I figured it out. The colors your refering to is on the other harness. Not on the one going to the handle. Anyways here is what I did..
    Unplugged harness, checked 3 and 4 and also checked 5 and 6, all had continuity.
    Plugged it back in and checked the corresponding wires coming out of the harness going back to the handle and got nothing. Pull handle, still got nothing.

So I guess I have a bad handle assembly?
    Okay, did you check for continuity on the connector half attached to the handle or the half attached to the door wiring harness? If you checked on the handle end, you should only have continuity when someone was pulling the handle. While you were in there, did you follow the test procedures I outlined in my more recent post? If so, what did you find?

Yeah I checked the connector going to the handle and got nothing at all from the handle.

Yeah I checked the connector going to the handle and got nothing at all from the handle.
    Okay. I was confused because you previously indicated there was continuity. This would have suggested the handle may have been okay. If you didn't get continuity at the terminals I indicated and while pulling the handle then yes, the handle assembly is faulty and will need to be replaced. This really is the most logical conclusion anyway. I just like to find the problem with some degree of certainty. Swapping parts until you find the bad one is expensive, generally not necessary and not an ideal troubleshooting technique.

Yeah the other end has continuity but not the connection going to the handle. Okay well now I will look for a handle assembly. Thanks for all your help and wish me luck!

Yeah the other end has continuity but not the connection going to the handle. Okay well now I will look for a handle assembly. Thanks for all your help and wish me luck!
    On the harness end you would not have been measuring for continuity, there will be voltage present. Unfortunately, if you measure voltage while the meter is set to measure resistance (ohms), you can damage the meter. There will definitely be needle deflection and this may have led you to believe there was continuity.

In any event, good luck with the quest. Post your results!

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

WD-40 is fish oil. Don't use it on electronics. Use contact cleaner to clean contacts, Use silicon-base dielectric grease to lube connectors & seal out water.

Would you use duct tape on your STS?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.