05 STS Drivers Door lock issue - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, 05 STS Drivers Door lock issue in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Do you still have the door module you removed? What is the part number and does it match the one ...
    ddalder is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS-4 N* 1SG

Re: 05 STS Drivers Door lock issue

Do you still have the door module you removed? What is the part number and does it match the one you put in?

swangin50 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS

No I don't I did it a couple months back and I'm not sure where it is. The door module number is 10379097 and I found the switch new online fairly cheap ($20 shipped) so I can buy that and give it a shot if you think that might be my problem.

When you pull on the outside door handle, does the LED on your door panel illuminate for 5 seconds, or is it just on and off within about a second?

with keyfob in my hand, the drivers door does nothing, and no light. with keyfob in my hand the passenger side opens and blinks on and off for one second.

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

Drivers door handle (or that channel of the RCDLR) isn't recognizing the fob. Maybe multiple issues are making it harder to diagnose.

I wonder if you can swap connections at the RCDLR and get another clue.

Okay let me start from the beginning... At first I had key fob issues. Replaced module in trunk, and module in door (both off of ebay) didn't fix problem, then ended up replacing key fob with new one and everything worked. It was bad key fob all along, shortly after ( a couple weeks later) I have the issue that I'm having now. When I replace the module in the trunk, I did reprogram it incase you were wondering. But I don't think I did after I programed new key fob... not sure. But key fob works on passenger door.

Looking through everything again, I still think that you need to check the door wiring. The service manual supports this check. If I had to make a guess, I'm starting to think this all revolves around the door handle assembly and associated wiring.

You've already replaced the DDM. Yes, it is possible that you purchased one that is also bad, but I don't believe these modules are really problematic. If you pull the door handle, the LED should light whether it be for 5 seconds (when the door is in a state of virtual lock) or less than one second if the door is in a state of virtual unlock. The fact that it doesn't light at all makes me wonder if the door handle lift switch (or wiring) is defective. Every one of the symptoms you are describing can be explained by this.

If you have a multimeter, disconnect the connector from the door handle switch assembly. Measure for continuity across pins 5 & 6. Have someone pull the handle and see if the switch engages. Do the same for pins 3 & 4. If these switches are not working correctly, the door will never open when you pull the outside handle despite whether you have a fob or unlock it from the inside.l

When you say door handle assembly, I am assuming you mean the inside door handle? So I will pull off the door panel off tomorrow and check for pinched or loose wires and I will check with the ohm meter the pigtail and I will get back to you with results.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by swangin50 View Post
    When you say door handle assembly, I am assuming you mean the inside door handle? So I will pull off the door panel off tomorrow and check for pinched or loose wires and I will check with the ohm meter the pigtail and I will get back to you with results.

Thanks
    No, I'm referring to the outside door handle assembly. When you pull the handle on the outside of the car, it engages switches and grounds two inputs on the DDM. I'm betting there is a problem with the handle switch assembly (or wiring between it and the DDM) and the inputs on the DDM are not being grounded. It explains absolutely everything you are describing.

The latch is electrically controlled and if these inputs never reach the DDM, the system will never engage the release mechanism. If you pulled the handle and the LED illuminated I'd keep looking but this isn't the case.

The connector has six cavities (3x2). This is what you should find..

Pin 1: Pink Wire. +LF Antenna Signal
    Pin 2: Pink/Black Wire. -LF Antenna Signal
    Pin 3: Black/White Wire. Ground
    Pin 4: Brown Wire. Unlatch Enable Switch
    Pin 5: Dark Blue Wire. Lift Switch Signal
    Pin 6: Black/White Wire. Ground

This should help you identify the correct connector, along with the correct terminals to test on the handle.

If I remember correctly the handle itself has only two wires on it. So the connector I am suppose to check is the one that the door panel plugs into in the center of the door correct. I will take pictures, but you are making sense, I had the same idea if you look at the original post, I just wasn't sure what the handle did since it had a pigtail on it.

If I remember correctly the handle itself has only two wires on it. So the connector I am suppose to check is the one that the door panel plugs into in the center of the door correct. I will take pictures, but you are making sense, I had the same idea if you look at the original post, I just wasn't sure what the handle did since it had a pigtail on it.
    Have a closer look at the handle. All the information I've been posting is obtained directly from the '05 GM service manual. This isn't to say that I haven't found some accuracy problems from time to time. It would be unusual in this case since the functionality of the door lock system depends on all the signals that pass through this connector. It should be a sealed six cavity plug that connects directly to the outside door handle. The wire colours going into the connector will be the telltale as to whether you're looking at the right one. Post pictures if you're having a hard time locating it.

I can't seem to figure out where my camera went but anyways, my exterior door handle only has two wires coming from it and the pigtail has two terminals.

Okay, I think I see what your talking about, I'm looking at the wires that are coming from the back of the handle (narrower end of handle) The wires your talking about come off more towards the key lock part of the handle. Can't really get to it with ease. I will try again in the morning when I have more time. thanks

Okay, I think I see what your talking about, I'm looking at the wires that are coming from the back of the handle (narrower end of handle) The wires your talking about come off more towards the key lock part of the handle. Can't really get to it with ease. I will try again in the morning when I have more time. thanks
    Sounds good. The alternative is that you can make a test at the door module. If you follow the procedure below, you will not need to disconnect the connector at the door handle or on the Driver Door Module. Be very careful as you will be working on live circuits, some in close proximity to ones like the GMLAN bus.

USE A MULTIMETER, DO NOT USE A TEST LAMP!

1. Set you multimeter to DC volts and connect the negative probe to a good ground.
    2. Identify connector C1 on the Driver Door Module. This will be BLACK in colour and have 16 cavities. Some cavities will not have wires.
    3. Locate terminal 13. Most connectors will have number embossed at the end of each row of cavities to identify the cavity number. It will have a 22AWG BROWN wire. You will also notice there will be a wire beside this terminal with a DARK GREEN wire and on the other side there will be a PINK-BLACK wire. Be careful when locating the correct wire because there are other cavities in this same connector with BROWN wires.
    4. With all connectors attached to the module, carefully try and insert the positive probe into the back of cavity to measure the voltage at the terminal. If necessary, you can attach your positive meter probe to a paper clip or similar metallic object that will fit into the back of the connector cavity.
    5. Make note of the voltage.
    6. Have someone pull the exterior door handle and see if the voltage drops to 0 volts.
    7. Identify connector C2 on the Driver Door Module. This will be BLACK in colour and have 20 cavities. Some cavities will not have wires.
    8. Locate terminal 17 in the same manner as in step 3 above. It will have a 22AWG WHITE wire. This should be fairly easy to identify because there will be two empty cavities on each side of terminal 17.
    9. With the negative probe still attached to a good ground, measure the voltage on terminal 17 as you did in step 4 above.
    10. Make note of the voltage.
    11. Have someone pull the exterior door handle and see if the voltage drops to 0 volts.

In each of these cases, the voltage (somewhere between 5 and 12 volts roughly) should drop to 0 volts when the handle is pulled. If they don`t, the switches in the door handle are not triggering the necessary inputs on the DDM. If this is the case, either your door handle is defective or the wiring to the DDM. Since you`ve already replaced the DDM it is possible, but unlikely the fault is in the DDM.
    mdm-59 and mdm-59 like this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.