How to properly do a Coolant Flush? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, How to properly do a Coolant Flush? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I can only tell you of my experience with Dexcool. I have had Dexcool in four vehicles and used Dexcool ...
    C&C
    C&C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac STS (2011)

Re: How to properly do a Coolant Flush?

I can only tell you of my experience with Dexcool. I have had Dexcool in four vehicles and used Dexcool as a replacement coolant in my motorcycle (FJR-1300) and have never had any coolant systems problems. While seemingly there have been multiple Dexcool problems reported, out of the millions of cars that have had Dexcool installed, the number of issues is relatively small (and perhaps the correlation to Dexcool is coincident and unfounded); my last statement is jmo and conjecture on my part.

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

Some earlier formulations of Dexcool generated more reports of trouble than expected. Many seem related to the possibilty of contamination by air. Later formulations seem more stable. I now use it without any worry.

But all coolents are better than ever. Just don't go cheap; use a good quality coolent and change it as recommended.

ChrisShaw is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS V8

I am against switching from orange to green. Stick with what your car came with. It says all over the labels to not mix the two. I honestly believe people ran into problems with DEX cool because they tried adding it to their car without first completely draining all of the green.

From personal experience, I have Dex cool in both my 05's and have had no problem with my cooling system. On the same note, I had green in my '97 mitsu and had no problems with the cooling system. My advice is to stick with what the car came with.

Subsailor613 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS 1SF N* RWD NAV F55

Cool Re: How to properly do a Coolant Flush?

Checked on two sources:
    One is my buddy, who works for Dealer #1, he told me they have a machine
    to do a coolant flush.
    The Other is: I went to a closer Cadillac Dealer #2, and the service manager
    told me, they have a Machine that recircs the coolant thru the engine ?
    They get $ 169.00 for a coolant flush.
    Also asked about the transmission fluid replacement, they get $ 199.00,
    for that, he also told me they service the local Police dept, and do service on
    them every 30,000 miles,and the vehicles last longer than those who wait
    the required mileage before doing certain maintenance stuff.
    My owners manual says to wait 100,000 for transmission fluid change.
    I am going to get it changed @ 50,000.

Testing: Castrol EDGE, 5W-30 and the M1 oil filter, with anti-drainback
    valve. Feel a lot better knowing I won't be doing Dry Start, Startups !

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

I would not be real concerned putting a machine on a cooling system but the old-fashioned methods of reverse flushing with a hose is likely just as good as any machine. (Just make sure to get it up to operating temperature a few times with the heat on maximum to flush the heater core.)

I would be VERY HESITANT to put a machine on my STS transmission. More than half the time, the last transmission serviced on that machine had a worn out or failing transmission and that flush was a 'last resort' before a rebuild. Our cars have very intricate transmissions assembled in 'clean room' conditions. I would want assurances that the flushing machine was completely clean and a guarantee before I'd even consider doing so. What is the shop manual's procedure?

Besides, transmission fluid (hydraulic oil with specialized additives) doesn't get exposed to combustion or dirt like engine oil. If the car is well treated, it doesn't even get all that hot. Unless I find reason to believe it needs early service, I'm waiting to 100,000 miles as stated in the manual.

But it's your car...

beatty.richard is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1996 Seville SLS

Thanks

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.